• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pakistan squad for the indian tour

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
i certainly agree with bouncer on the fact that afridi's style of play is very much suited to indo-pak matches.the guy is aggressive in nature but i just dont think he will be able to show the responsibility in crunch situations

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
what rle is afridi gonna play anyway.certainly he is gonna be an opener but farhat nad hameed are a pretty decent opening partnership.they didi not perform that well in nz but really played well in the series against south africa.this series is alos on pakistani pitches so i think that they should do pretty well again.i just think that having afridi in the sqaud will just upset the balance of the sqaud.but on the other hand he does give the team an extra bowling option.
i am just trying to make sense of who is gona be dropped if afridi is gonna come in.

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
the third seamer problem is still unresolved for pakistan.shabbir is working on his action.just hope that he is available for selection.

deeps

International 12th Man
thehellraiser said:
i just think that having afridi in the sqaud will just upset the balance of the sqaud.
um...he's made the pakistani team as a bowler alone....and as a batsman alone... He is one of the best fielders in pakistan! how can such a rounded player upset the balance of the team!?

Really,i think they bought afridi into the squad for flexibility! if an opener gets injured..they can play him...if a middle order batsman gets injured, they can play him...if a bowler gets injured..they can play him.... and he'd make a great 12th man...enthusiastic,energetic etc etc

he also has a pretty good record in pakistan, so perhaps he might be able to destroy the indian attack a few times

a very very handy player, who if had some more patience, could easily be one of the best, if not the best (with kallis) all rounder in the world

yohanna

Banned
vishnureddy said:
According to Miandad, Pathan type bowlers are in every galli {street} in Pakistan :saint:

Where did you read that? I'm surprise because Miandad has admitted a few weeks back that Indian attck in the form of khan, Ajit and Pathan is certainly better than what it used to be.

If Miandad said that then its very unfortunate because Pathan is a very promissing youngster and such comments were totally uncalled for.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
deeps said:
a very very handy player, who if had some more patience, could easily be one of the best, if not the best (with kallis) all rounder in the world
Come on, don't go over the top here!

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
why was rohan gavaskar not picked in the indian side
rom what i can gather is that he had a pretty decent vb series

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
afridi and saqlain back in odi sqaud

i can understan saqlain being back in
but why afridi

and a question to me indian counterparts

dont i think that the indian spin department is a little weak
i mean without kumble and singh

and how is this gut powor
i mean....what kind of a bowler is he
???

V Reddy

International Debutant
thehellraiser said:
afridi and saqlain back in odi sqaud

i can understan saqlain being back in
but why afridi

and a question to me indian counterparts

dont i think that the indian spin department is a little weak
i mean without kumble and singh

and how is this gut powor
i mean....what kind of a bowler is he
???
Powar reminds me a lot of Jeremy Snape of England. Flights the ball a lot and spins it quite a bit but i didn't notice much variation when i saw him bowl. Decent lower order batsman but isn't that good against pace.

Kartik is the man Pak has to watch out for i think. IMO the wickets in Pak would be ideal for his kind of bowling. It may seem odd for some that when everyone was raving about him before Aus tour i didn't support his selection and doing the exact opposite now. I personally think that he would do well with bowl and decently with the bat.

Zaheer hasn't played a single domestic match till now and so i doubt whether he will be playing in the first onedayer. The bowling line up of Pathan,Balaji ,Bhandari(hope he gets selected instead of Nehra) and Kartik would do well i think in onedayers.

Only 8250 visas will be issued to Indians for this series when it was expected to be around 20,000-25,000, so others have to miss out. Hope with this people to people contact it will add to the improving relations. SAF games are going to take place around the same time in Pak for which around 400 Indian athletes are expected to leave India to Pak.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I would, Razzaq is a better bowler but Kallis a better batting, so I'd say Kallis wins but not as far as it is sometimes made out to be.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis is a far better batsman than Razzaq than Razzaq is a better bowler. Razzaq is only marginally better bowlingwise IMO. There's a huge gap between Razzaq and Kallis.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
deeps said:
um...he's made the pakistani team as a bowler alone....and as a batsman alone... He is one of the best fielders in pakistan! how can such a rounded player upset the balance of the team!?
There's more argument for playing Dwayne Smith in a Test team than Afridi, and that doesn't say very much for the latter.

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
razzaq has been more consistent than kallis
kallis had a terrible 2003.....although he did strike form aginst the windies
but razaq has been performing consistently .......either with the ball or with the bat
his late order hitting was a delight to watch against the newzealanders
kallis just might be better though
but only just..........

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
2003 Tests:

Kallis - 698 runs @ 49.85, 19 wickets @ 38.42
Razzaq - 121 runs @ 30.25, 6 wickets @ 50.00

2003 ODI's:

Kallis - 595 runs @ 54.09, 14 wickets @ 43.42
Razzaq - 600 runs @ 33.33, 24 wickets @ 36.08

Who was it had the bad 2003 again?

No comparision between them there for me.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Why is everyone so against Afridi joining the ODI squad, hes been performing really well in the county season, if he fails in one ODI so what, they'll drop him, no big deal.

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
afridi is too one dimensional
true he is a match winner ....but i just do not think that he has what it takes to play international cricket
i dont know how he has managed to play so many one day internationals

the first century he scored i think did him more harm than good

the only worthwhile innings that i remember afridi playing was the century against india in the first test match of the 99 tour

he has ben drfated into the side based on his performances against india....which i dont think is a strong enough reason .....remember he has not played for pakistan for almost a year now

picking players based on their past performances against a particular teamis not a good enough reason for me.....this is just like picking azhar mahmood for the pak world cup squad based onthe fact that the guy scored 2 centuries in south africa almost 4 years ago.....when the simple fact was that he did not deserve to be picked based on the form that he was in prior to the world cup

i was expecting something like this from wasim bari....who is always more inclined to rely on reputations rather than current form....

i just pray and hope that afridi will prove me wrong
and perform like a champion........