• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
6 FC teams= 3 games.
Thank you Linda.

I'm not saying England should get rid of the County structure, I think that it is good and should stay. But there should be another level, a higher one were the best of all the counties can play and press for national selection. Perhaps four teams (North, East, South, West) or some other structure. Because it will be easier to select the best XI from four or six teams than it is from 17.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
How does that work?
I thought the Pura and ING Cups were home-and-away?
Yes each team plays each other twice in the competition which means each team plays 10 games over the season. But at one time there can be no more than 3 games (as there are only 6 teams, and 6 divided by 2 equals 3), meaning the four selectors can spread themselves between the 3 games.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I had to read it twice.

There's only 3 games going on (max) at any one time so the selectors don't (shouldn't) miss anyone.

Unless they're all watching NSW, eh Wrighty? ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Yes each team plays each other twice in the competition which means each team plays 10 games over the season. But at one time there can be no more than 3 games (as there are only 6 teams, and 6 divided by 2 equals 3), meaning the four selectors can spread themselves between the 3 games.
Ahh...
:duh:
The great enlightenment.:lol:

Craig

World Traveller
Mister Wright said:
Thank you Linda.

I'm not saying England should get rid of the County structure, I think that it is good and should stay. But there should be another level, a higher one were the best of all the counties can play and press for national selection. Perhaps four teams (North, East, South, West) or some other structure. Because it will be easier to select the best XI from four or six teams than it is from 17.
Unlikely.

The Counties wont vote themselves out of existence.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Sounds like a good idea to me. Picking from (let me do my sums...) 180 odd at a time compared to 66 is quite the difference. I realise there is a much greater population and all but really... :O

And it's not as if Aussies get less chance to play FC cricket than the English, the state teams do rotate their players alot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The way I look at it:
English cricket has survived for nearly 100 years with 17 (12 with 18) First-Class counties.
Apart from the tradition issue (which the South African Board have just basically trampled all over without any need whatsoever - South African cricket is IMO as strong as it's ever been. If anything, this will lower the standard, not raise it - by forcing out good players) there is the fact that it will take First-Class cricket away from many places.
IMO the best thing to do is leave the structure as it is (the Sri Lankan and Indian way, with two First-Class levels, is IMO not sustainable, especially in England with such a short season) and concentrate on improving standards by changing the attitudes - because that's the biggest problem from everything I've heard.