• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite english batsmen from the dark age of english cricket? (mid 90s-00s)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I might be wrong on the dark age, it might have started earlier and ended later. It's funny, I first started watching cricket as an 8 year old in the 98/99 ashes series and thought Atherton was the worst play ever. Feels like McGrath got him out for a duck every other innnings. But I've watched a few series on youtube from earlier and he was actually pretty good. I also remember Ramprakash scoring a 60 every other innings, he was my favourite.

I can't make polls yet, but these are the names I think of when I think of the dark age.

There's the guys who all had a stint as captain and from what I saw, were probably the best(at least when you consider batting averages)

Butcher
Atherton
Stewart
Hussain
Thorpe

Then there were the fringe players who all seemingly dominated county but struggled at test level:

Hick
Ramprakash
Crawley
Fairbrother
Knight

When Vaughn and Trescothick and later Pieterson came about it seemed the quality of the english batting was raised. Ashes 2001 was their last really bad series right?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Thorpe in tests, and Fairbrother in ODIs were decent.

Dark Ages probably started from before I started watching cricket in 1991 (as I hear England was largely mediocre in late 80s) and continued till a while before the 2005 Ashes.

Last edited:

Pothas

Loved so many of these guys. For better or worse they were my childhood.

Athers and Ramps probably my favourites, Thorpe was just a bloody good player though.

mr_mister

^yeah me too. I had a game called international cricket captain 2 from 99 and grew to appreciate all 10 of these names

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thorpe clearly the best once the world discovered Robin Smith couldn't play spin.

As for ODI's Hick and Fairbrother were very good.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Thorpe was solid but Stewart was a genuine talent and the best of the immediate post-Gooch era.

The rest were flawed. How you rate them depends on your preferences of strengths and prejudices against certain weaknesses.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hick was so nice to watch. Should've been an ATG but dunno why he wasn't.

cpr

International Coach
Was Atherton for me, of course, such a dogged fighter, and genuinely talented batsman. Imagine what he'd have been like if he wasn't constantly fighting back issues. Probably wouldn't have grimaced as much....

Stace

First Class Debutant
I loved Nasser, he wasn't the most talented but he had the fight in him, he made the most of his ability, maybe if Hick had Nasser's mental strength he would have achieved more.

mr_mister

no love for poor ol Marky Butcher haha. He was the first englishmen I ever saw score a 100

Skyliner

International 12th Man
The way Nasser ground out a hundred in the first test of the series where Astle scored his double hundred....that was an extremely gutsy innings that held his sides innings together, real captains knock. That pitch was the archetypal 1st innings green seamer.

fredfertang

Athers was brilliant - terrific batsman, decent bowler and hugely entertaining grump - as cpr commented would have broken lots more records without the dodgy back, although he probably wouldn't have been such a miserable ****er

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stewart was borderline world class when allowed to open without having to keep wicket as well. If that sounds excessive, perhaps someone could dig out his batting average when not keeping wicket. Failing that, have a look at his innings at home to an exceptional Pakistan attack in 1992 or his twin tons in the 1994 Barbados test. IIRC he kept wicket for most of his ashes tests, so our Aus contributors probably don't rate him. All I'd say is have a look at the 1998/99 series when he was eventually relieved of the gloves for the 4th test, promptly reeled off a ton and we actually won a game.

Thorpe was very good. Permanently looked pissed off, maybe about not being born in Aus or SA, , but he was a class act. Whether he was genuinely one of the best 3 middle order batsmen in the world at the time is unlikely, but he wouldn't have been completely out of place in a mid-1990's world XI.

I had a lot of time for Hussain. I suppose his final test average doesn't lie, but he did play numerous innings in tough circumstances that were instrumental in winning vital games.

And all of them had it much tougher than the current crop. No central contracts, inconsistent selection, wickets weren't so batsman friendly and attacks were generally stronger than today.

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Loved Atherton. He always seemed keen to get us Aussies off to a good start with the ball.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Atherton, Buther, Thorpe, Stewart.

Hick, Knight, Fairbrother, Crawley, Craig White, Ramprakash, Adam Hollioake. And then during the glory years Owais Shah, Usman Afzaal, Robert Key...