• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite english batsmen from the dark age of english cricket? (mid 90s-00s)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My favorite was Stewart when he was opening. Looked absolutely top class. The best was probably Thorpe though. Athers and Hussain just below him. Hussain, though, got himself out in ways when set that turned you off sometimes.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i think stewart averaged around 45 when opening, compared to his career average of 39.

thorpe clearly the best though for my money.

fairbrother our most overrated odi bat. 1 century in 75 games is poor form.

HeathDavisSpeed

Athers was brilliant - terrific batsman, decent bowler and hugely entertaining grump - as cpr commented would have broken lots more records without the dodgy back, although he probably wouldn't have been such a miserable ****er
Atherton so incredibly overrated. I don't doubt he was the best option around at the time, but I find it hard to say that it was solely his back to blame for the technical flaws he had. I've never seen anyone before or since with such an alarming tendency to get squared up to a ball just short of a length on or around the off stump. The number of edges to the slips that he gave away as a result of that flaw was astronomical.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
i think stewart averaged around 45 when opening, compared to his career average of 39.

He mostly batted at 5 in a time where that role would be to guide a chase home or finish an innings. Hitting lots of centuries at 5 in ODIs is barely a thing and only a thing of recent times.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nasser my favourite. Was going to say Thorpe the best but Goughy and wpd have sufficiently reminded me that it was actually Stewart.

That being said, I wasn't a huge follower of cricket as a kid. So don't claim to have the most informed opinions on those times anyhow.

anil1405

International Captain

Scoring 100's for a batsman batting at no.5 or lower (as Neil did for most part of his ODI career) in the 90's wasn't a common phenomenon as it is now.

But I agree with you in the sense that he seemed an average batsman while batting first and very calculated when England were chasing.

JTemperance

Cricket Spectator
Butcher was a curious one: he could play an all-time great innings against an all-time great attack but on other occasions would frequently chuck it away when set against the lesser sides. His average reflects his inconsistency.

Thorpe was a fine player and one of the few England players of the era the Australians seemed to have much regard for.

Stewart was a world-class attacking opening batsman damned with the wicket-keeping gloves and consequently pushed down the order. A strength sacrificed for a weakness.

mr_mister

i loved richard kettleborough lol. always used him in my county games for his cool last name. Funny how he's an umpire now

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I liked Thorpes grit but preferred watching Stewart bat. Such a better player when he didn't keep.