• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most test wickets , which bowler ????

Who will hold the record for test wickets after 5 years from now on ????

• Walsh (remains the leading wicket taker)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Muralitharan

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Shane Warne

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Glenn Mcgrath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaun Pollock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saqlain Mushtaq

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

twctopcat

International Regular
marc71178 said:
But the potential for what, 5 or 6 years more (still only 30)

That makes it about 30 wickets a year - not a great ask.
Yeah, but he's a fast bowler, if he does stay around for another 6 full time that will be a great feat, but injuries hit all fast bowlers, just look at mcgrath, age always catches up, suppose it's just a question of how quickly though! He will definitely be close though to walsh though i now agree.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How in the hell we have Saqlain Mushtaq in that list (And someone voted for him too :lol: )?? The Guy has only 200 wickets. Forget highest test Wickets I bet he cant even break Dennis Lillee's record(355) even if he plays for next 10 years. Shoaib Akhtar - I dont think he can break Bishen Singh Bedi's record (266). It will be an achievement for him if he gets there.
Both are fanstastic bowlers IMO but Saqlain is past his prime and Shoaib cant stay that long.

Murali will end up the highest wicket Taking Bowler, Followed by Shane Warne, Glenn Mcgrath & Courtney Walsh.

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think Ajit Agarkar. :lol: Sorry couldn't resist that :P

Seriously, I can't see anyone else apart from Muralitharan being the leading wicket taker.

The amount of overs he bowls in a match is unbelievable, the fact that he is still trying to develop more deliveries given his superb record shows a player wanting to succeed, good luck to him!

Can't wait to see him against the aussies, should be a good battle, its a shame he hasn't got more support from the other bowlers though (apart from Vaas).

In batting, I think Sachin Tendulkar will be #1 in terms of runs in boths forms by the time he retires :D

P.S. PLEASE will some Indian fans control their bias, im an indian fan myself and I find it very annoying. Apologies to everyone, i can assure you not all indian fans are like this!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
iamdavid said:
Lara is what....34? now , now he's fit & still playing brilliantly so he should still have 3 years in him , who knows maybe more , but he's getting to that sort of age.
He said he wants to be around at least until the 2007 WC, but also doesn't want to leave cricket until he helps West Indies back to some measure of respectability in international cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
Yeah, but he's a fast bowler, if he does stay around for another 6 full time that will be a great feat, but injuries hit all fast bowlers, just look at mcgrath, age always catches up, suppose it's just a question of how quickly though! He will definitely be close though to walsh though i now agree.
Pollock is not a fast bowler.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Pollock is not a fast bowler.
I didn't literally mean fast, as he is "technically" a medium-fast, just. I was merely saying this to point out the fact that this type of bowler is more prone to injuries than spinners, hence hindering his chances of breaking the record.

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
I didn't literally mean fast, as he is "technically" a medium-fast, just. I was merely saying this to point out the fact that this type of bowler is more prone to injuries than spinners, hence hindering his chances of breaking the record.

I think the action has more to do than anything... Polly has a textbook fast bowlers action, he could bowl quicker and still get no injuries IMO... He is South Africa's Mr Concistency...

iamdavid

International Debutant
halsey said:
I really honestly think Warnie has a brilliant chance of still being at the top in 5 years.
Hmmm , having seen footage of him bowling today Id have to disagree , why?
He's got about 4 chins & must be over the 100kg mark or very close.

It makes you wonder if he really only did loose all that weight through the pills , when he just suddenly stops taking them & he starts piling it on again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He said he wants to be around at least until the 2007 WC, but also doesn't want to leave cricket until he helps West Indies back to some measure of respectability in international cricket.
Lara could play till he's 50...

twctopcat

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
I think the action has more to do than anything... Polly has a textbook fast bowlers action, he could bowl quicker and still get no injuries IMO... He is South Africa's Mr Concistency...
That's what was said about mcgrath, he had barely been injured during his career, had " the spine of a bowler who never bowled a ball", then buggered his ankle up. These things happen which you can never fortell, and the chances of them happen rise as long as you go on. Not that im wishing it upon pollock at all though:D .

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McGrath, does not have that many test left in him IMO. He is struggling to come back from his current injury and he just turned 34. Murali will be the greatest wicket taker and has a good chance to do it before Warne. In 5 years time it will be Murali.