• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

By when do you think India will become number one team in the World?

By when do you think India will become number one team in the World?

• One year.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • 2-3 years

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 5 years

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • They are already the best ?

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
Most pundits believe that the days of the great Australian team are over/getting over and a new team is going to overthrow them.One team that comes to mind is India, that gave Australia a real scare on thier own back yard and has been beating Australia in Subcontinet since a long time.

By when do you think India will replace Aus as the best team in Universe?

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
IMO its not a matter of a set number or years, but more a question of whether they can achieve a number of outcomes in their cricket set up:

- produce some quality pace bowling that will be able to bowl test sides out

-improve the fielding dramatically, especially the out cricket ( the catching seems to be coming alog nicely at the moment though)

-produce some batsmen with the technique to succeed in all conditions- this means good defence and development of cross bat shots

-remove the petty politcing/ intrinsic corruption among the administration

-better development of the abundant youth talent

- prepare pitches that allow for balanced cricket
this one is the crucial one and if this is achieved from grass roots level all the way to the top, the other outcomes will fall into place- ie more kids will want to become pace bowlers if they see the pitches accomodate this skill, the batsmen will learn to play a more complete game etc.

Whether india will ever get to the top in the near future is questionable, however. On one hand they certainly have the potential due to population factors, but on the other hand the problems in their cricket set up are deep seated and will be difficult to overcome- so for the mean time id say india would struggle to reach the top and stay there for any length of time- the set-up is just too flawed. Look at the team now, for instance, and they have somewhat of a golden era of talent, especially in the batting, yet despite of this are still a fair way from CONSISTENTLY being a top side.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Very confident that India will take over our reigns, aren't you?:P Not even a 'Not for a long time' option.

I would like to remind you the the Aussies are still well clear of other teams and South Africa would be just as likely as India to take #1.

We can't stay on top forever, but who knows who'll be #1 when we drop down?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Its a question every one is asking ..

When will England win the Ashes?
When will India be world champs?

Its a question whose answer we all know...

NEVER if they keep playing below potential! :D :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My worry is this, our batting is in it's prime/golden era yet our bowling is full of youth. By the time our bowlers gather plenty of experience and hit their prime, our best batsman may be getting on in age. Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman aren't young, and whilst Sehwag, Yuvraj and Kaif (I have faith in him) are young and talented, we need them all to click at once and now would of been the perfect time. If we had top quality bowlers now we'd be right up there, but at the current moment I'd say not for a long time, possibly 10 years and thats being optimistic. :(

That being said I don't think the arrogant replies by some were needed. =-/

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
Jono,

this thread was started in stupidity, and doesn't really deserve thought out replies -- I think the replies it got were indicative of that.

This agarkarwhatever fellow is a pure flame-baiter. If you look at his post-history you'll see brainlessly pro-india arguments that are hardly believable and designed to incense. Just look at the two threads he's started, this one and the one on the "fastest non-chucker, Munaf Patel"

Can we please ban the guy? I for one have had enough crap.

masterblaster

International Captain
I understand your sentiments mate,

However there is a thing as free speech and everybody is entitled to their own opinion no matter how popular or unpopular their opinion(s) might be.

Thanks for your co-operation,

Masterblaster

FRAZ

International Captain
masterblaster said:

However there is a thing as free speech and everybody is entitled to their own opinion no matter how popular or unpopular their opinion(s) might be.

Masterblaster
Will you cosider it in my case too .:D

FRAZ

International Captain
masterblaster said:

Masterblaster
Waiting for your well cooked "sugar coated " diss for me , mate . Just kidding :D

masterblaster

International Captain
Ive got nothing against you, FRAZ.

Yeah, I stand firm with everybody is entitiled to their opinions. Its just that some people express their opinions in a tasteful, refined and sophisticated way....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Vroomfondel said:
Jono,

this thread was started in stupidity, and doesn't really deserve thought out replies -- I think the replies it got were indicative of that.

This agarkarwhatever fellow is a pure flame-baiter. If you look at his post-history you'll see brainlessly pro-india arguments that are hardly believable and designed to incense. Just look at the two threads he's started, this one and the one on the "fastest non-chucker, Munaf Patel"

Can we please ban the guy? I for one have had enough crap.
I understand your frustration as I too believed his "chucker" post was a disgrace, however as already stated by masterblaster, as long as his opinion isn't directly offensive to a poster his posts are still valid, and though this topic does look stupid, you can't argue with the fact that the idea of India toppling Australia to become the best has come up in various articles, magazines and internet columns. I think it deserves to be discussed, even if the matter it was brought up was "brainless" as you put it. India are a long way off from being the best, but its still worth discussing as to the reasons why that is.

FRAZ

International Captain
age_master said:
where is the never option:P :P :P
There will never be a never option ........ untill unless some one from a world out side Mongolia (They doubt there is) , is gonna make the poll ...... :P :P

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
in 5 years Pathan will be a good test level bowler - but Kumble will be gone, so i dont think Inda will be number 1 for a while yet

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I do agree with the majority of people replying on this thread that it will indeed take India a long time to get to the #1 spot. While their batting is great, their bowling is something to be worried about ATM. Maybe after a few away test series wins, we can start thinking that India will be one of the best teams in the world....although South Africa is one for mine that will possibly topple Australia from the top.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
i dont think india will be number one for a long time they just dont have the bowlers. i checked to see who has the lowest bowling average of all time for india and it was harbhajan with 27, thats pathetic!