• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scoring runs is the Will of God

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Just had a thought.

I've noticed a handful of batsmen over the years who aren't just good but are so good that they bring a certain serenity to the crease. The sort of serenity that enlightened spiritual masters possess and impress people with. That you only get when your every action is perfectly harmonised with the will of the universe and with God.

Now I'm asking if it's possible that God (non-denominational God) has actually put certain players on Earth specifically to score runs. This explains the serenity that these players have at the crease, knowing that by batting for a long time they are doing God's work.

Of the players I have seen who seemed to be at peace with eternity and the universe, I'm thinking Amla, Dravid, Inzamam and Williamson.

Interestingly, these four guys are always spoken of by their teammates as especially humble and upstanding.

It also makes me think of the concept in Taoist spiritual practice of active meditation, i.e. remaining fully aware of oneself while performing a task that might be otherwise distracting.

Seeing someone like Williamson bat while in the zone makes me think he could be a monk that just happened to bat. Like someone who is at perfect peace with what he is doing.

Does this make any sense or is my tobacco a bit naughty?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Note that a lot of great batsmen are not on this list. I don't include Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Kallis because they *dominated* the opposition. They didn't use the opposition's hostility against them like an aikido master.

Before I forget, I started this thread to talk about MS Dhoni.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Man of Peace XI

1. Amla
2. Dravid (c)
3. Williamson
4. Inzamam
5. ABdV
6. Chanderpaul
7. MS Dhoni (+)
8. Akram
9. Vettori
10. Bond
11. Murali

Really hard to think of a peaceful fast bowler who was any good. Went for Wasim because of his short, languid run up and Bond because he never got flustered.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man of Peace XI

1. Amla
2. Dravid (c)
3. Williamson
4. Inzamam
5. ABdV
6. Chanderpaul
7. MS Dhoni (+)
8. Akram
9. Vettori
10. Bond
11. Murali

Really hard to think of a peaceful fast bowler who was any good. Went for Wasim because of his short, languid run up and Bond because he never got flustered.
Nah, Bond often got flustered, as did Wasim.

I'd probably look at Joel Garner & Mohammad Asif (if we can forget about his indiscretion) with the ball

watson

Banned
For the record, Eastern religions like Taoism and Buddhism are ambivalent toward the notion of God. In fact they are far closer to atheism than they are theism.

But if pushed I'll have to nominate Colin Cowdrey as the batsman with the most Zen.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Dhoni just seems so indifferent to what's going on around him. Am I right in thinking he's an actual prince of some sort?

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I remember Vettori going nuts on a balcony in England, sledging some Bangas, and being in a confrontational melee in a WC semi-final in Sri Lanka vs South Africa. So he has been at times too demonstrative and too lacking in peaceful intent. And he went on a bender with Jeets after the 2nd day of a (non test) match.
The true monks like Amla and Kane.....I just can't see them doing these things.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I wonder how Bruce Lee would have fared had he picked up a bat. That would be quite funny, if a cricketer started to do the 'hwoarrr" thing when he played a stroke.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I need to read the op again but it is using placed on earth by God and zen like qualities interchangeably. I don't think these concepts are overly related.
People who are istps on Myers Briggs typology are zen like on the sporting field period. Istps are a dime a dozen in international sports.
People who are placed on earth by God to play cricket are those who gifted beyond all measure in terms of natural talent. Taken literally this would include Warne who is certainly not zen like.

Anyway it is your op kiwiviktor however I might have used different language.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I remember Vettori going nuts on a balcony in England, sledging some Bangas, and being in a confrontational melee in a WC semi-final in Sri Lanka vs South Africa. So he has been at times too demonstrative and too lacking in peaceful intent. And he went on a bender with Jeets after the 2nd day of a (non test) match.
Sure, but that's a list of misdeeds over a 18 year period. I'd be pretty happy if those were the worst things I had done for the past 18 years.

As I said upthread, it's really, really hard to think of bowlers (and Australians). Murali was the only one I was sure of (and I've heard a story about him chasing some people in Perth in a blind rage).