• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scoring runs is the Will of God

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man of Peace XI

1. Amla
2. Dravid (c)
3. Williamson
4. Inzamam
5. ABdV
6. Chanderpaul
7. MS Dhoni (+)
8. Akram
9. Vettori
10. Bond
11. Murali

Really hard to think of a peaceful fast bowler who was any good. Went for Wasim because of his short, languid run up and Bond because he never got flustered.
You mean the guy who jumped into the stands and started beating the **** out of a spectator?

article-2323971-19C1D5EE000005DC-336_306x423.jpg

Talked about as one of the most relaxed cricketers ever. Also, in 1965, Willis added his third name "Dylan" by deed poll in honour of American musician Bob Dylan, of whom he is a fan.

Could be wrong, but I suspect that is wicket 300 for Bob. Clearly he is elated about it.

He was captain of the 1984 English team at Christchurch. Not sure if he did anything to tarnish his chilled-ness.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
What about Clive Lloyd. I only caught the end of his career but he would fill the cool cat monk variety.

Spark

Global Moderator
Given how thoroughly kiwiviktor jinxed Williamson in the Test series I'm now expecting him to average about 15 over the next year.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Given how thoroughly kiwiviktor jinxed Williamson in the Test series I'm now expecting him to average about 15 over the next year.
If a jinxed player averages 40+ and gets his name on the Lord's honours board at his first opportunity, unjinxing him would create the new Bradman

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Just had a thought.

I've noticed a handful of batsmen over the years who aren't just good but are so good that they bring a certain serenity to the crease. The sort of serenity that enlightened spiritual masters possess and impress people with. That you only get when your every action is perfectly harmonised with the will of the universe and with God.

Now I'm asking if it's possible that God (non-denominational God) has actually put certain players on Earth specifically to score runs. This explains the serenity that these players have at the crease, knowing that by batting for a long time they are doing God's work.

Of the players I have seen who seemed to be at peace with eternity and the universe, I'm thinking Amla, Dravid, Inzamam and Williamson.

Interestingly, these four guys are always spoken of by their teammates as especially humble and upstanding.

It also makes me think of the concept in Taoist spiritual practice of active meditation, i.e. remaining fully aware of oneself while performing a task that might be otherwise distracting.

Seeing someone like Williamson bat while in the zone makes me think he could be a monk that just happened to bat. Like someone who is at perfect peace with what he is doing.

Does this make any sense or is my tobacco a bit naughty?
Why no Laxman and Azharuddin?

indiaholic

International Captain
While I thin k the OP is a load of very funny bull****, experiences in sports can come very close to meditation. The state of 'flow' or being in the 'zone' is often characterized by the sort of complete immersion that monks try to achieve.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While I thin k the OP is a load of very funny bull****, experiences in sports can come very close to meditation. The state of 'flow' or being in the 'zone' is often characterized by the sort of complete immersion that monks try to achieve.
At moments like these, it's best to quote Sehwag

Sehwag: I have asked Sachin many times what the zone is. He tells me that's when "I see nothing except the ball". I ask how that is possible. I have never felt something like that. I have asked Rahul Dravid the same thing. He says sometimes when he is in really good form, he sees only the ball - and not the sightscreen, the non-striker, the umpire or who is bowling, he just sees only the ball. But I have never entered that zone even if I've scored triple-centuries twice. Maybe I will enter that zone they talk about in future.

Question:Perhaps you are always in the zone?

Sehwag: You can say that, maybe.
:laugh: