• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATS Teams General arguing/discussing thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God dammit this is a farce. The ATS thread turned into the ATG thread. As if we don't have enough of those. ffs.

A all-rounder side with every variety of bowlers covered.... (and leaving out Sobers as it will be almost cheating if you had him for such a side)

Bob Simpson
Simon Katich
Viv Richards
Allan Border (c)
Jacques Kallis
Frank Wooley (sp?)
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Michael Holding

It is more of a side of bowlers who can bat and batsmen who can bowl decently at this level but this would be a pretty hard side to beat in almost any type of cricket conditions...
But at 6 wickets down, the bowlers can see the end in sight. Red Hill's team with Benaud at 11 and Imran at 9 just says to the bowlers that they'll not be having a good time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But at 6 wickets down, the bowlers can see the end in sight. Red Hill's team with Benaud at 11 and Imran at 9 just says to the bowlers that they'll not be having a good time.

Obviously, I was not picking the best allrounder side here... You can replace Hadlee with Imran if you want, but I was selecting the side within the usual paradigm of 6 top batsmen, 4 top bowlers and a keeper and aligning it by picking players for those roles who had a secondary skill which was passable or more than that at the test level... What fun is it if you just pick the best players alone all the time? At times, it is more fun to think through constraints such as these and still pick out what you feel is the best possible side.

Obviously, I was not picking the best allrounder side here... You can replace Hadlee with Imran if you want, but I was selecting the side within the usual paradigm of 6 top batsmen, 4 top bowlers and a keeper and aligning it by picking players for those roles who had a secondary skill which was passable or more than that at the test level... What fun is it if you just pick the best players alone all the time? At times, it is more fun to think through constraints such as these and still pick out what you feel is the best possible side.
Hadlee stays and opens the bowling with Imran - unless Procter or Miller are selected.

But you should give it a go. I was very impressed by Red Hill's 'almost 'off the cuff' effort. It struck me as a team that has almost taken the loss out of the equation, even if playing against a 1980's West Indies team, or the great modern Australian team.

But I agree with you, between Botham and Faulkner I thought Red Hill's team was one pace spearhead shy to go with Hadlee and Imran. Hence why I suggested Botham be replaced. I didn't know if he meant Aubrey Faulkner or James Faulkner. I cheekily assumed James, but it was probably Aubrey. If so maybe Benaud is replaced because there is a lot of leg spin in that team.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Haha. When I posted I thought it was the ATG one. Serves right whatever **** started the ATS one! :laugh:

Gob

International Coach
Been thinking about this while reading Geoff Armstrong's "100 Greatest Cricketers". Here is my well thought out ATG XI

Jack Hobbs- Hobbs was widely regarded as the greatest batsman ever prior to Bradman's emergence. Hobbs has a flawless technique and an unflappable temperament. Evidently a very good fieldsman also. He played for so long, and all the way maintained his consistency. Impossible to leave out on an XI.

Len Hutton- Hutton was such a brilliant technician, really the ideal opening bat. He played some pretty potent attacks and time and again demonstrated a mastery of his game. Unflappable temperament to match Hobbs's.

Don Bradman

Jaques Kallis- Other contenders for this slot are Tendulkar, Greg Chappell and Hammond. My choice is Kallis because of the entire package he brings to the team. Classical batsman, calm temperament, and a sound record with the bat against all opponents. Similar to the others mentioned in batting fashion, but Kallis also adds nearly 2 wickets per test, plus great slip catching. Provides a solidity to the middle order in the midst of a couple of dashers.

Viv Richards- I've no doubt that when on song and in his prime, Viv was the most intimidating batsman to ever play the game. Gun fielder too, whether in the infield or in the slips.

Garry Sobers- Many say the second best batsman ever. Also a pace bowler and spin bowler. Also a gun fielder. Everyone knows all this.

Allan Knott- The choice between Gilchrist and Knott is difficult. I rate them both similarly. I do think Knott to be a slightly superior keeper, and I think his batting is underrated. Played some clutch innings against searing pace when other English batsman weren't coping.

Shane Warne- The competitiveness of Warne was intense. He loved the contest. So pleased he was in my watching era. Peerless skills with the ball and an obdurate batsman, who, like Knott, often played a gutsy innings when the batsmen had failed before him.

Wasim Akram- Left arm master. Searing pace and sharp swing. Handy batsman too.

Dennis Lillee- My favourite quick bowler ever. Never laid down in the contest. Massive physical presence and had every trick in the book as a quick bowler.

Curtly Ambrose- You could argue Marshall was better, and you may be correct, but I think Ambrose's height and pace and aggression compliment Lillee and Wasim perfectly. Nothing better than seeing a batsman playing around Curtly's seering inswinger while stumps fly everywhere.

12th- Keith Miller
look at all these **** cricketers

watson

Banned
01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Jack Hobbs
03. Don Bradman
04. Garry Sobers
05. Viv Richards
06. Allan Border
07. Allan Knott
08. Richie Benaud
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Sydney Barnes

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Jack Hobbs
03. Don Bradman
04. Garry Sobers
05. Viv Richards
06. Allan Border
07. Allan Knott
08. Richie Benaud
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Sydney Barnes
Needs more Imrul Kayes, Chris Schofield and Ishant Sharma.

1. Imrul Kayes
2. Sadagoppan Ramesh (yeah he was actually ok-ish, but being run-out going for an all-run four is sufficient to make this XI; alternatively, Andrew Hilditch)
3. Mark Lathwell
4. Darren Maddy
5. Kamran Akmal +
6. Chris Cowdrey * (6)
7. Chris Schofield (5)
8. Grant Bradburn (3)
9. Ian Salisbury (4)
10. Ishant Sharma (2)
11. Mohammad Sami (1)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This is a big call but reading Christian Ryan's book on Kim Hughes makes me think it's time to leave out Lillee.

Both him and Marsh come across as very ordinary men.