• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ish Sodhi is love, Ish Sodhi is life

DVMace09

Cricket Spectator
The best spin bowler in NZ (and best wrist spinner in the world after Rashid), a world class #8, and a future NZ captain.

This is basically a discussion (read: appreciation) thread for all things Sodhi

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He seems to be immature (Ish Sodhi) reminds me of Jeetan Patel 7-8 years ago.

Patel would bowl each delivery and hope with all his heart it would take a wicket by magic and be thoroughly dissapointed when it didn't.

Patel Mach III or whichever version it was that toured India that final time was less exciteable and didn't wet his pants if he beat the bat or went through the gate but missed the wickets.

Ish Sodhi needs another 7-8 years of FC cricket and will only be ready for another shot at test cricket as a 30 year old. He has a young head on young shoulders.

Ooops this is an appreciation thread. My bad. :ph34r:

DVMace09

Cricket Spectator
DISCLAIMER: Views expressed by the author may or may not accurately represent the views of the author outside of the direct domain. Comments, posts and other input must be treated as false unless proven true.

Translated: Ish and I have been mates for a few years and I love him to bits, and he has oodles of talent and a very good cricketing mind, but he is pretty rubbish atm. Needs several years, give him some Grade Cricket in Aus and toughen him up. He is developing and maturing fast though

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
DISCLAIMER: Views expressed by the author may or may not accurately represent the views of the author outside of the direct domain. Comments, posts and other input must be treated as false unless proven true.

Translated: Ish and I have been mates for a few years and I love him to bits, and he has oodles of talent and a very good cricketing mind, but he is pretty rubbish atm. Needs several years, give him some Grade Cricket in Aus and toughen him up. He is developing and maturing fast though
I realised you might go for hyperbole, but it was singling Rashid out that I found weird given there are stacks of leggies better than him.

"I'll joke about Sodhi being better than Yasir Shah, but Rashid? That's too far man."

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

I Think this is an accurate assessment.

I think Australian grade cricket would be more helpful to him that County Cricket. The wickets are less conducive to spin and the batsman are good enough that they will force him to develop consistency or he will rapidly find that his Aussie captain won't give him a bowl.

DVMace09

Cricket Spectator
Jeets takes Div1 CC wickets. And even as a Warwicks man, I openly concede he's no more than 1.5x Mark Craig. The CC ain't the finishing school it once was.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Jeets takes Div1 CC wickets. And even as a Warwicks man, I openly concede he's no more than 1.5x Mark Craig. The CC ain't the finishing school it once was.
Agreed. What level of cricket have you played as you appear very knowledgeable.

DVMace09

Cricket Spectator
I played one match as a ring in for the club firsts, following an injury. I went from club 3rds 12th man to ****ting myself at first slip and short leg for the 1sts in under an hour.

My standard of play = very high.

very interested in captaingrumpy's thoughts
Everyone opines the obvious with Ish, lack of control and dishing up boundary balls and his test record and first class record suffer the same plight.

He has wicket taking deliveries, but he cannot keep batsmen under pressure as they score so freely against him with the red ball.

But the engima, at first blush, is that he pretty darn good at 50 over list A cricket. He suddenly becomes fairly economical compared to the rest of the bowlers.

Just look at this season's list A scorecards.

If he has sufficient control to bowl economical overs in ODI cricket, why cannot he maintain control over his attacking deliveries in first class cricket? They may well be harder to bowl, but leg spin is hard to bowl fullstop.

Is he trying to spin the red ball far more and losing control? Is he tossing it up more and losing control of where it pitches? Just what is he bowling in the List A matches? Darts? Is he only getting wickets in List A when the slog is on? If not, and its the field setting, cannot his first class fields be smarter? With some men on the boundary as well as close in field? Is it his natural inaccuracy that makes it difficult for pyjama batsmen to premeditate shots whereas in whites they wait for bad balls? Are list A batsmen more concerned about his googly and curb playing a big shot to him just in case?

I understand he will be "protected" somewhat in List A and not bowling too many powerplay overs and at the death. But with Sodhi, Santner and J Boult all in the team, he must be bowling some tough overs. Must be frustrating for both him and the coaches. I have not seen enough of his domestic List A games to know what Ish is bowling.

But we seem to be seeing more and more leg spinners doing well in the ODI game and not having the same success in the test game and the common consensus from former players is it is because they can possibly spin the ball either way and their natural inaccuracy makes more batsmen more circumspect in pyjama cricket. Brad Hogg and Imran Tahir are prime examples. So his international career is far from over, even if he cannot sort out his red ball game.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I think there is a middle ground you can reach as a bowler, where you offer enough control to build pressure in the OD format but not enough to build pressure in FC cricket. An over with 4 easy singles and 2 good dot balls is a fine one in OD cricket; but a poor one in FC.

Ish is probably at that stage where he is too good to be taken for 6+ runs an over, but not good enough to string together several maidens.

I think there is a middle ground you can reach as a bowler, where you offer enough control to build pressure in the OD format but not enough to build pressure in FC cricket. An over with 4 easy singles and 2 good dot balls is a fine one in OD cricket; but a poor one in FC.

Ish is probably at that stage where he is too good to be taken for 6+ runs an over, but not good enough to string together several maidens.
4 runs an over in OD cricket is excellent!