• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Proposing a New Convention for Batsmen in their Late 90s

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is quite amusing though that the opposite of what harsh has suggested has happened. Suraj Randiv, WAC.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is a school of thought that reckons Douglas Jardine's antipathy towards Australians began in 1921 when he played for Oxford against them and Armstrong didn't play on after the close when he was 96 not out in a match that was going nowhere - it's a stupid theory, if he'd have tried to DRJ would just have patted the ball back to the bowler, but harsh clearly not the first the idea has occurred to - can't say the idea appeals to me though, and it would bugger up the First Chance Average calculations

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd love this to become a test cricket "thing" and I become a test cricketer and I'm on 99 and they drop the catch deliberately. I then get my ton and the opposition are expecting me to stand on my stumps or float up a catch to them and I just laugh at them as I smash my way to a triple century!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I was contemplating whether players around the world might want to be part of a new convention for batsmen in their late 90s. It goes like this. Say someone is on 99*, and happens to go for a foolish single, or pops up a catch. The fielders on the other side, instead of running or catching him out, decide to give him a life to get to the hundred. After having duly got to said hundred, the batsmen then gets himself out somehow, either a hit wicket, or a simple catch or a run-out.

I think it would be nice to have such a practice. Also realize many of you may not think of it as a great idea. Anyways, I am not proposing it be codified of course. How many chances would be given would obviously rest on the players involved. I am fine with only one chance.

Of course, if the other side then loses by a run, there might be some outrage :happy:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're drunk.

watson

Banned
Life wasn't meant to be easy as they say. And one of joys of watching cricket is the stress of watching your favourite batsman fall over the line at 100. Allowing a second chance as it were also diminishes the batsman's achievement.

Generous thought though harsh.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a school of thought that reckons Douglas Jardine's antipathy towards Australians began in 1921 when he played for Oxford against them and Armstrong didn't play on after the close when he was 96 not out in a match that was going nowhere - it's a stupid theory
Yeah that's a nonsense theory............it was just because they're ****s.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It would be nice to see Lindsay Tuckett make it to the century. I agree, give him a free pass.

Arthur Morris and Everton Weekes are only in their early 90s. Should they be afforded the same opportunities?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andy Ganteaume currently 94 not out - getting to a century in his only innings twice would certainly be a remarkable achievement