• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's assignments

Salamuddin

International Debutant
How do you guys feel Ricky Ponting and his men will go in the test series this year viz v Sl (away) v ZIM (away assuming it occurs), v SL (home) , v IND (away) and v Pak (home).

Do you think he'll win all of them ?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in SL - draw
in Zim - comfortable win
v SL in Aus - win
in Ind - loss
v Pak - draw/win - could be a close one

masterblaster

International Captain
Wow, he's got the entire subcontinent to take care of this year.
Ill be bold and give my predictions:

Aus in SL: SL Win
Aus in Zim: Aus Win
SL in Aus: Aus Win
Aus in Ind: Ind Win
Pak in Aus: Aus Win

Still Australia will remain on top of the rankings this season as they will comfortably win three of their 5 series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

masterblaster said:
Still Australia will remain on top of the rankings this season as they will comfortably win three of their 5 series.
Unless South Africa go on a (not unlikely) rampage.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Unless South Africa go on a (not unlikely) rampage.

That would be good viewing, however I still think SA are the second best in the world... Dont think they were tested by the WI....

Mr Mxyzptlk

IMO South Africa has better bowling resources than Australia (ie player pool) and a fast improving batting lineup. I think South Africa are the team of tomorrow.

Craig

World Traveller
Dont West Indies tour Australia next summer? If not they would tour the year after.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
IMO South Africa has better bowling resources than Australia (ie player pool) and a fast improving batting lineup. I think South Africa are the team of tomorrow.

Its hard to see past the mass of players in Australia who could do well for any international side... But their bowling worries me...

I hope you are right, SA need to prove themselves against the best now...

Mr Mxyzptlk

If South Africa were to play Australia now it would be a very close series, even if McGrath and Warne were to return.

Kallis is in unbelievable form and Nel, Ntini, Pollock are not in the worst of it either. I think South Africa would slip home.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
im gonna tip An Aussie win in everything, Pontings captaincy will be good and Warney will be back (which also solves the first slip problem) obviously the India series will be the toughest but i think we can win there too, no surprises there though, Harbajan has been seen and will probably take alot fewer wickets than last time.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
As great a player as Warne has been, I wouldn't take a successful return for granted.

But do they really need a succesful warne? Despite MacGill bowling poorly against India, his figures suggest he isnt much worse anyway.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
But do they really need a succesful warne? Despite MacGill bowling poorly against India, his figures suggest he isnt much worse anyway.....
Stuart Charles Glyndwr MacGill
30 Tests
147 wickets @ 28.63
4.9 wickets per Test
9x5w
2x10w
SR 55.2
Econ 3.11

Shane Keith Warne
107 Tests
491 wickets @ 25.71
4.58 wickets per Test
23x5w
6x10w
SR 60.8
Econ 2.53

MacGill tends to have the better overall figures, but I would always toss the ball to Warne before I would MacGill. Especially in a bowling attack which lacks the depth of resources such as this Australian attack appears to.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
Dont West Indies tour Australia next summer? If not they would tour the year after.
No, they pulled out, their place is being taken by New Zealand.

Australia next year:

SL: Aus win 2-1 (weather permitting)
Zim: Aus 2-0
SL (Home): Aus win 2-0
Ind: Ind 3-1
Pak (Home) Aus 2-1 (The series I'm least sure of)
N.Z (Home) Aus 2-1