• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matt Prior retires

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
We've had this discussion lots on CW. The fact he got a bad injury and played a few extra games with it doesn't make him worse.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Kieswetter gone, now Prior. Not much behind Buttler now, is there?
Well Bairstow is a pretty solid back up for all forms. Will never average 40+ but he has the ability to average mid 30's in tests and score quickly in the shorter versions of the game. Probably a better keeper at present than Buttler too. Says a lot though about how well Buttler has done that we haven't really missed Prior since he left the side.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Big cheese. It only goes downhill when you start referring to yourself in the 3rd person, unless you are The Rock.

Says Shri.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well Bairstow is a pretty solid back up for all forms. Will never average 40+ but he has the ability to average mid 30's in tests and score quickly in the shorter versions of the game. Probably a better keeper at present than Buttler too. Says a lot though about how well Buttler has done that we haven't really missed Prior since he left the side.
Yeah, Bairstow as a back-up is fine.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sad not to have any more Prior, was always good to watch. I think my favourite day of a test I've watched live was seeing him hit a century against India at Lord's in 2011.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Brilliant player, such an important part of the team that reached number 1.
Indeed. But we shouldn't forget he contributed a lot to England too.

What a fantastic player he was, England were very lucky to have him (on loan) and we will look back on him as a great player. Motivated the team, played the blistering counter-attacking innings you hope for from a number 7, and made the very most of the very considerable ability he had.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was one of the first handful or so of cricketers who got me hooked on the game and was the first player I was able to knowledgeably back for England selection from county cricket. His debut hundred was just awesome for me from that PoV and then I had the pleasure of watching him ton up at Lord's in 2011 too.

Probably the player I've received the most infractions for defending, too. WAG.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A shame injuries grounded his finish to his career. For a few years was an utter gem.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For a period of time he was a bloody fine, top quality cricketer. Good luck to him moving forward.