• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowler/Batter/Captain today?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Who are the best players in the World today?
My picks are:
BATTER: Tendulkar/Lara
BOWLER: Muralitharan
WICKETKEEPER: Gilchrist
CAPTAIN: Hussian

What are your thoughts?

Rich2001

International Captain
Who are the best players in the World today?
My picks are:
BATTER: Tendulkar/Lara
BOWLER: Muralitharan
CAPTAIN: Hussian

What are your thoughts?
BATTER: Agree
BOWLER: I agree and I also like G.McGrath as well he bowls so ecomically every innings and he does also take wickets.
WICKETKEEPER: Agree
CAPTAIN: Hussian and Felming are both doing a great job at the moment.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Captain: At the moment no captain really stands out, but I think Hussain is probably doing the best job. A few months ago it would have been Fleming, but he seems to have fallen away a little.

Rich2001

International Captain
Captain: At the moment no captain really stands out, but I think Hussain is probably doing the best job. A few months ago it would have been Fleming, but he seems to have fallen away a little.
I agree I would have also nominated Jayasuriya of Sri Lanka for the way he transformed the team over the last year, but after watching him on TV in the England tour, my opinions have changed alot

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think that captains are very hard to judge! You have to look at the team
they are playing in. Also all teams play a different sort of game. For
example I think Hussian is great for England but if he was captain of
Australia he may not be such a great guy for the job as they have more of
an Attacking game.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I also rate Boucher. But if you were picking a world VI would u use
gilchrist and not boucher.. I think you would have to look at batting as well
and there is no question about it then.. Gilchrist is amazing. I would
rate him as one of the top batters in the world(top 10 anyway).

As for S.Waugh for captain. I think he has past his best.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Steve Waugh has one of the best, if not the best cricketing minds in the world. So if you were picking purely the best captain(not on form, which i agree, he is past his best) then you would have to go with him.

Rich2001

International Captain
Yes I rate S.Waugh highly but the question was the best in the world today and S.Waugh isn't a captain at present :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah, agreed :)

Re: Keeper - are we looking for the best with the gloves or the best batsman/keeper balance?

Kimbo

International Debutant
I was thinking the same thing Neil. Thats why I said Boucher. He has amazing stats as a keeper.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
BATTER: Tendulkar
BOWLER: McGrath
CAPTAIN: Shane Warne (yep - you read right)

I suppose it depends on what you define "best" as...

If the 'best' bowler takes the most wickets - then probably Warne or Muralitharan. But if he's the guy to keeps runs down, keeps pressure on, can run in and bowl all day, is consistent and is injury-free... then probably McGrath.

Shane Warne as captain is an interesting choice - I know. But if the "best" (here we go again) captain has the best cricketing brain (not necessary the best win:loss ratio) - then I think Warne is potentially a valid choice...

... too bad it's a bit late now for Capt'n Warne
:(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if so...then why isn't Warne captain of Australia?.

I don't think you've got it right.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if so...then why isn't Warne captain of Australia?.

I don't think you've got it right.
Why he's not captain is faily easily explained. At the time Mark Taylor retired, there were two clear candidates: Steve Waugh and Shane Warne. Steve Waugh had been around so long he was even thought of as a potential captain when AB retired and Mark Taylor got the job so I'm sure the ACB wanted to repay him for his service over the years. Plus Warnie's off-field work was less than exemplary whereas Waugh was a family man and never been involved in anything seedy. So the choice was clear.

Warnie was the superior captain, though. When Australia were getting pummeled by South Africa in every game in the WSC a few years ago, Stave Waugh was the captain and didn't seem to me to be very good or natural. So South Africa cruised home against us. When sometimes Waugh would leave the field due to injury, Warnie would take over and even when SA were cruising, for those brief few overs, suddenly the complexion of the game changed; the batsmen suddenly were more on-edge, a few wickets went down and the game didn't seem to be much of a formality all of a sudden. Then Waugh would come back on and SA would cruise.

I saw that countless times in that summer and so I was convinced that it was more than his ability as a captain which counted against him in the race for captain after Taylor.

So yeah, Warnie could have been an exceptional captain. So calling him a great captain is fitting in my opinion. Anyway..............

Batsman: Sachin
Bowler: McGrath
Captain: Steve Waugh

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But to say Warne is the best captain around, without much evidence of his ability as captain is slightly rash. However I could not create enough evidence to say that Warne would not be a good captain either.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Batsman well on form Its Gilchrist but Talent wise Tendulkar/Lara/Ponting
Bowling McGrath
Keeper Gilchrist
Captain S.Waugh/Flemming/Hussain

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
You are all idiots
Best Batsmen: Tandulkar easy
Best Bowler: McGrath
Best Keeper: Gilchrist