• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Trent Boult eclipse Tim Southee by the end of their careers?

Boult or Southee - who remembered as greater?

• Trent Boult

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Tim Southee

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Matt Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Did it really even swing? I thought it was just genius use of the crease, went wider so the angle changed.
I agree. I don't think it really swung in as much as it held its line. Good enough though. As long as he has a variation ball it will trouble batsmen.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching both bowlers I get the impression Boult is a serious student of the game. Every time he bowls you can see he's got a plan and he tries to bowl to it. Also I like his stern faced attitude.

I can't say the same about Southee. He seems to be a bit low on passion. I think Southee was at his best when he had Alan Donald coaching him. He put a bit of mongrel into Southee's bowling. I feel that is what Southee is lacking. Watching him in England it always looks like Southee's bowling with a smile on his face. Batsman won't really take you seriously if you appear passive like that.
Hi there

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah but in this Test series you could see Baz had a lot more faith in Southee than Boult at times. When Boult was failing on line and/or length he'd be brought off for Henry, whereas Southee was persisted with and kinda got it right. You get the feeling one of the major differences between bowlers is that Southee has the ability to adjust during a spell, whereas Boult needs a break to regroup.

In the reality of those Tests, though, it worked and it didn't work. Maybe Southee is suffering from being seen as the senior go to?

cnerd123

likes this
Perhaps it is because southee has had more cricket, or perhaps it is because he has more options with what he can do with the ball, but southee appears the more Wiley of the two of them.

Southee uses the crease better, has a wicket taking bouncer, and can move the ball both ways at will (even if one of those deliveries is a cutter)

Boult does have one that goes the other way but he seems to be more comfortable bowling this delivery with a duke ball.

In summary southee has a wider variety of deliveries he can hurt you with.

Who is the form bowler right now? It is probably boult.

Who will be the more consistent bowler? Probably boult.

Who is the classier bowler? It is tim. He will bounce back.
Yea completely agree with this. Southee hasn't been in great rhythm since that WC spell; he's been blowing hot and cold, but when he's struggling he still manages to peg a decent line and length and keep it tight. Boult is on fire now but he will hit a slump eventually, and then I think he'll struggle a bit more than Southee.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Watching both bowlers I get the impression Boult is a serious student of the game. Every time he bowls you can see he's got a plan and he tries to bowl to it. Also I like his stern faced attitude.

I can't say the same about Southee. He seems to be a bit low on passion. I think Southee was at his best when he had Alan Donald coaching him. He put a bit of mongrel into Southee's bowling. I feel that is what Southee is lacking. Watching him in England it always looks like Southee's bowling with a smile on his face. Batsman won't really take you seriously if you appear passive like that.
Disagree with this. Yeah Southee became more of a mouthy aggressive **** during Donald's stay, but his bowling didn't really improve one way or the other. It was only after Southee's axing and subsequent return to the side in 2012 that he really started putting consistently good numbers on the board, and by then he'd ditched the surly gob-****e attitude, and was more focussed on just getting batsmen out. Not saying that Donald had no positive influence on Southee, but the idea that he was at his best under Donald is just not borne out by the facts.

Howsie

International Captain
Since June 2012 (both Southee and Boult were recalled for the second test against the Windies) Southee has 102 wickets @ 26 and Boult 115 @ 26, so dead even. But, Boult has yet to show the sustained excellence that Southee has. For the two years from that test Southee took 76 @ 21, which was only matched by Steyn, Johnson and Harris. Genuine world class stuff for a decent period of time. Now you could argue Boult hasn't had a bad patch of form like Southee has recently but I guess it's how you look at it.

Southee, and I've always said this just has more tools, more going for him in regards to being a genuine world class test seamer.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but in this Test series you could see Baz had a lot more faith in Southee than Boult at times. When Boult was failing on line and/or length he'd be brought off for Henry, whereas Southee was persisted with and kinda got it right. You get the feeling one of the major differences between bowlers is that Southee has the ability to adjust during a spell, whereas Boult needs a break to regroup.

In the reality of those Tests, though, it worked and it didn't work. Maybe Southee is suffering from being seen as the senior go to?
Probably, heavy lies the crown and all that but lefties generally get a shorter leash anyway.