• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Trent Boult eclipse Tim Southee by the end of their careers?

Boult or Southee - who remembered as greater?

• Trent Boult

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Tim Southee

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Matt Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
He's senior simply because he's played more and has IIRC toured everywhere at least twice (not 100% on this).
In context, it was explained as Southee getting his choice of end at the start of an innings. They said Southee got to choose because he was the senior bowler. My understanding was that this choice was generally given to the strike bowler, not necessarily the senior one. I assumed that seniority was used as a tiebreaker because Southee and Boult are roughly equally as good, which may not be the case in the hindsight of 10-20 years.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Stats time!

Trent Boult test debut: Dec 9, 2011
Bowling average since then: 27.12
Southee average since Dec 9, 2011: 27.58

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think Southee is the better bowler.

There's a few things going for Boult:
- left handed batsmen seem to suck against left arm swing bowlers
- he's bloody fit
- does have the ability to swing it the other way, although it's not that accurate
- pretty accurate stock away swinger
- usually a couple of km/h faster than Southee

But I think Southee is more dangerous:
- gets more bounce
- can seam the ball a bit better
- as such, isn't as reliant on swing (although he's still reliant on it)
- With his height, back-of-a-length can still be dangerous, whereas when Boult bowls that length it just sits up
- is a bit better at utilising reverse.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Southee also less likely to angle it into the pads to let guys flick him through midwicket all day if the ball doesn't swing consistently.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't want to sound too deprecating, but I think Southee's record is not really one somebody of Boult's ability would think of "eclipsing". I think someone as good as Boult would be hoping a passing high cloud in his career would block out Southee's record which, let's be honest, isn't exactly challenging Sir Richard Hadlee's, is it?
You have to take it into context a bit though. Boult made his debut when he was 22. When Southee was 22 he'd already been playing Test cricket for three years blowing out his average because he wasn't good enough yet. I'm sure if Boult had been made to play Test cricket for three years before his actual debut, his record would be much less favourable as well.

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking Boult is much younger than Southee because Southee debuted so much earlier, but they're actually less than a year apart in age. In matches they've both played (27 of them), here are their stats:

Boult - 113 wickets @ 25.49
Southee - 107 wickets @ 27.58

I think Boult is the better bowler as well, but "Southee's record" and "Southee's overall career stats" are two very different beasts. As you can see he's been much more effective since that disastrous premature go at Test cricket.

GGG

State Captain
Boult is better and I think he will be throughout his entire career, I wouldn't be surprised to see Southee fade away for a while.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps it is because southee has had more cricket, or perhaps it is because he has more options with what he can do with the ball, but southee appears the more Wiley of the two of them.

Southee uses the crease better, has a wicket taking bouncer, and can move the ball both ways at will (even if one of those deliveries is a cutter)

Boult does have one that goes the other way but he seems to be more comfortable bowling this delivery with a duke ball.

In summary southee has a wider variety of deliveries he can hurt you with.

Who is the form bowler right now? It is probably boult.

Who will be the more consistent bowler? Probably boult.

Who is the classier bowler? It is tim. He will bounce back.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Was Bairstow's dismissal in the 2nd innings at Headingley the first time that Boult has picked up a test wicket with his inswinger? It's not an especially profitable delivery for him, at least in the longer form - nothing like Southee's off-cutter anyway. Having said that, Boult is definitely getting better with the in-swinger. The yorker he bowled to Sangakkara at the World Cup was just sublime.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was Bairstow's dismissal in the 2nd innings at Headingley the first time that Boult has picked up a test wicket with his inswinger? It's not an especially profitable delivery for him, at least in the longer form - nothing like Southee's off-cutter anyway. Having said that, Boult is definitely getting better with the in-swinger. The yorker he bowled to Sangakkara at the World Cup was just sublime.
Did it really even swing? I thought it was just genius use of the crease, went wider so the angle changed.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Watching both bowlers I get the impression Boult is a serious student of the game. Every time he bowls you can see he's got a plan and he tries to bowl to it. Also I like his stern faced attitude.

I can't say the same about Southee. He seems to be a bit low on passion. I think Southee was at his best when he had Alan Donald coaching him. He put a bit of mongrel into Southee's bowling. I feel that is what Southee is lacking. Watching him in England it always looks like Southee's bowling with a smile on his face. Batsman won't really take you seriously if you appear passive like that.