• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowler Captains can't win World Cups!

Deja moo

International Captain
Odd observation by me.......not a single WC has been won by a Bowler captain !

Clive Lloyd, Allan border, Ranatunga, Steve Waugh , Ponting etc.

Kapil dev and Imran Khan were bowlers too, but their bowling performances didnt win the cup.....Imran was a pure batsman in the 92 cup, while Kapil is more renowned for his superhuman 175* rather than for any bowling performances.

And even among the losing finalists, Wasim Akram is the only bowler!

Any particular reason why bowlers dont make for successful captains?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Batsmen tend to make better captains for one because they have less to think about in the field - they can just concentrate on pure captaincy rather than thinking, "and I have to get 10 overs in here, which I'm gonna bowl like that, oh wait, who's batting now? Where's cover point? Argh..."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And because of this, bowlers get picked as captains less, and so have less chance to achieve success.
And Kapil in WC1983 mightn't have been a massive wicket-taker but he still played a huge part in the success, along with Lal and the rest. Just because of one flashy innings, it doesn't make him more of a batsman than a bowler!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shaun Pollock.

There haven't been all that many World Cups. Totally disconnected point IMO.

FRAZ

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Batsmen tend to make better captains for one because they have less to think about in the field - they can just concentrate on pure captaincy rather than thinking, "and I have to get 10 overs in here, which I'm gonna bowl like that, oh wait, who's batting now? Where's cover point? Argh..."
Once Javed Miandad was giving a tv interview and the host of the show knew that now a days he has a little bit gainst Imran . So he asked Javed that , "Who can be a best captain ? Javed replied "definatel not a bowler , Because Captain is mostly needed in the field and if the bowler captain is himself smacked all over in the ground then how come he can tell his bowlers to do this and that , and a batsman captain can even use harsh words to his bowler to do this and that "

FRAZ

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Shaun Pollock.

There haven't been all that many World Cups. Totally disconnected point IMO.
In my opinion a bowling captain is better for the team , If other bowlers of the team are also from the same class as of the captain , I mean fast bowler . Because if a team's major strength is fast bowling then the captain can also give useful tips to the bowler , Some times what happens is that The bowler captain knows where to bowl and what to do , but if he cannot put the bowl to the right spot , atleast he can tell his bowlers to do so .....

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Two old threads that I posted in before my time off resurrected in the same visit!
'Mazing...
BTW, what was the point of this?