• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Test Innings and Bowling Performances. Updates thread.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Unfair on great ducks like Anderson vs Sri Lanka.

Should have qualified my earlier statement. In 4th inns draws and losses and 3rd inns draws and losses when facing a deficit of 100 or more, any batsman who scores at less than 45 runs per ball will have his runs adjusted up to (balls faced*0.45). Which is why du Plessis makes the top 100.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Should have qualified my earlier statement. In 4th inns draws and losses and 3rd inns draws and losses when facing a deficit of 100 or more, any batsman who scores at less than 45 runs per ball will have his runs adjusted up to (balls faced*0.45). Which is why du Plessis makes the top 100.
I think you're unfairly penalising the guys scoring more than 45 runs per ball.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, when you're batting to draw a test chasing an impossible total, runs scored is practically immaterial, but there are situations in the 3rd and 4th innings where runs are vital... even though a draw is the batsman's main ebjective. Not an easy thing to measure the value of such innings though.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, when you're batting to draw a test chasing an impossible total, runs scored is practically immaterial, but there are situations in the 3rd and 4th innings where runs are vital... even though a draw is the batsman's main ebjective. Not an easy thing to measure the value of such innings though.
That's why this special measure is only for draws and losses.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I should start demanding an Agarkar subsection.

Well, as nice as it always is to know how great AA was, we need a new cult hero here soon from the ones playing... It is an absolute fact that no one has reached his levels of heroism in CW since.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmmm why?

I'd consider a batsman who consistently produces good innings more valuable than one who occasionally produces great ones. The first one helps you win more matches in the long term. Makes sense that guys like Waugh, Hammond and Sachin have no Top 100 knocks and yet are ATGs. They were key players in very successful sides, consistently producing the goods.

You aren't a less special player for being consistent. That's just silly. I'd take a top order full of consistent if unspectacular batsmen over one full of inconsistent match-winning ones anyday.
Having ATG innings doesn't mean a player is not consistent. it only shows they came when the going was tough. No one will blame you for failing if three of your collegues ton up in the same innings on a flat track. But getting them at difficult situations is special.

cnerd123

likes this
Having ATG innings doesn't mean a player is not consistent. it only shows they came when the going was tough. No one will blame you for failing if three of your collegues ton up in the same innings on a flat track. But getting them at difficult situations is special.
Actually it shows neither. I was just debating on a matter of principle - a inconsisten producer of ATG innnings like Lara vs a regular run machine like Waugh/Sachin.

However there is more to it than just the batsman's bottle or whatever. Waugh and Sachin (and even Viv) were both in sides filled with ATGs; most of the time their great knocks would be overshadowed (like how Dravid's 180 loses out to VVS's 281), and very rarely did they find themselves in situations where it was up to them alone to win a game. Lara and Sanga were in much weaker sides and their great innings stand out more + they had more opportunities to produce such ATG innings.

I do believe a consistent batsman is worth more to a team; but all good sides have both. The value you place in a batsman who consistently scores runs vs one who scores them when the rest fail is quite subjective and down to personal bias.

So really you can't use this as a means to push your Sanga > All agenda (and dont act like that wasn't your intention)