• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram among his peers

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I have a personal theory about why spreadsheets might not rate him correctly - but I won't mention it here because I know I won't be popular for that (plus I don't have anything concrete to back that theory really ;) ).
You aren't popular anyway, you might as well carry on with that tradition.

smash84

The Tiger King
Spreadsheets rate his career correctly. But spreadsheets can't really rate what he was capable of. I'm saying he couldn't really achieve what he was capable of - even though what he achieved undoubtedly makes him an ATG.
fair enough, although i fail to see how this view would make you unpopular. This isn't an unreasonable view to have.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To me, the biggest drawback about him is the cloud of match-fixing over his head.... At times, and this may not really be fair to him coz he was just so talented, you just felt that he could have bowled better than he actually did, not because he bowled badly but he was capable of bowling so much better, esp. in the late 90s.

subshakerz

International Coach
Wasim did under-achieve. He should have ended up with over 500 test wickets given his talent.

The reason his career stats dont measure up to his peers is that he had a slower than usual start to his career from 85 to 90 before he became world class, and a slow dip at the end when he lost much of his penetration.

If we evaluated his stats just from the 90s decade, when he was at his peak, it lines up well with his contemporaries.
Cricket Records | Records | 1990s | Test matches | Most wickets | ESPN Cricinfo

If I had to pick a bowler of the 90s, I would be split between Wasim and Ambrose. Here's a list of top class cricketers I know who have rated Wasim as either best or joint best, just from the top of my head:

McGrath, Donald, Atherton, Ambrose, Walsh, Michael Slater, Kapil Dev, Stephen Fleming, Kallis, Ganguly, Mark Taylor, Ricky Ponting, Brian Lara, Chris Cairns, and so on.

In the final summary though, I think Wasim suffers in comparison to the elites such as Ambrose, Lillee, Hadlee, Imran, Marshall and McGrath as never quite ran through sides with regularity the way they did. Batsmen often found him so awkward a proposition and focused on just playing him out. A lot of wickets would fall from the other end. Also, Wasim wasnt the best bowler at thinking the batsman out, by his own admission he often didnt know what ball would be coming next. I say this as one of his biggest fans though.

In the end, Wasim's name certainly belongs with the best of the best, based mostly on peer rating, but I would hesitate to put him near the top.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
fair enough, although i fail to see how this view would make you unpopular. This isn't an unreasonable view to have.
Ya I'd rather let HB be unpopular ;)

To me, the biggest drawback about him is the cloud of match-fixing over his head.... At times, and this may not really be fair to him coz he was just so talented, you just felt that he could have bowled better than he actually did, not because he bowled badly but he was capable of bowling so much better, esp. in the late 90s.