Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Doctored" pitches

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Originally posted by Richard
    Is there any evidence that Graeme was doing anything other than stating that New Zealand are especially good at this?
    No there's not. But IMO his collective statements paint a fairly clear picture of his attitude, ie. that NZ unfairly doctor their pitches.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I really do say to anyone (including Graeme) that this is the whole point of "home advantage".
    You get the conditions you want (well, hopefully ).
    That's not unfair, nor "doctoring", it's part of the beauty of playing home and away.
    Outstanding bowlers prevail on any surface anyway, and outstanding batsmen give themselves a chance on any surface. I'd say SA have got plenty of them and so they should win both series easily. If they don't, they've underperformed, simple as.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Originally posted by Tim
    The only drop-in pitches in NZ are Eden Park & Jade Stadium.
    So the rest (bar Basin Reserve) have still got squares that are trampled on by rugby players for 6 or 7 months?
    I am right that McLean Park, Carisbrook, WP Trust Park, WP Trust Stadium and the two aforementioned are all primarily rugby stadiums?

So the rest (bar Basin Reserve) have still got squares that are trampled on by rugby players for 6 or 7 months?
    I am right that McLean Park, Carisbrook, WP Trust Park, WP Trust Stadium and the two aforementioned are all primarily rugby stadiums?
    Unfortunately, you're mostly correct.

Westpac Park in Hamilton is primarily a cricket ground like the Basin Reserve. This is the reason most tests are being played at these two grounds now. I think both have some winter sports played on them, but nothing major.

As for Westpac STADIUM in Wellington, the rugby union in their infinite wisdom has just managed to hold a rugby sevens tournament there - smack bang in the middle of cricket season and 13 days before an ODI is due to be played there! :!(

Don't expect a great surface....

Sing along with me now kiwis: "Rugby, rugby, uber alles, uber alles in der welt..."

Tim
    This is mostly the problem in New Zealand. There are only about 2 or 3 genuine cricket grounds, the rest are all stadiums/grounds shared between Rugby/Cricket & whatever else.

The current schedule is crazy, in around NZ playing S.A at various venues, the super 12 is going on. The groundsmen have got their work cut out big time.

Remember when rugby was a winter sport? *sighs wistfully*

The problem may not extend to ground-sharing, but rest assured, extended and cross-lapping seasons are not a problem unique to New Zealand.
    It causes massive problems here, too.

Perhaps that has contributed to the drop in quality of English cricket over the last decade-and-a-bit?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    yes i think that this claim is wrong by smith......just trying to stir up some controversy and get inside the heads of the kiwis i guess......gona be a real close series though.......the kiwis are gonna be tough to beat at home

also it will be hard to produce any good pitches due to the weather - its one of the worst summers i can remeber for a long time - unlike last years cracker. club pitches are still green and soft. its raining every other day. january in welllington was the wettest since records began!

also the staduim have got a concert this weekend. its meant to rain sunday monday tuesday, and theres an ODI on friday

hamilton is a cricket ground like the basin, probally has winter club sport on it - the basin has both club rugby and soccer. napier usses drop in pitches. the NZRFU have had the sevens leg there in the first weekend of february for the past 5 years.

Pinball Champion!
    I was watching Aussie rules on TV and it looked like the MCG, and then the 'Gabba???

Doesnt seem to affect these pitches, they are cracking!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Spectator
    "Last season's India series was an aberration brought about mainly through experiments aimed at getting the results mentioned in point 1, and extremely uncooperative weather. Like it or not, with climate change, these are our summers now."

hey - what kind of excuse was that?? these are international pitches and professional groundsmen - did they have to 'experiment' in a test series? and what does the weather have to do with the amount of grass thats left on the pitch? dont grass cutters/mowers work in NZ summers?

u will obviously see that the india tour to NZ is still a sore point with some indians - worsened by the fact that we didnt return the favour. if india had prepared minefields for a touring team, we would never have heard the end of it.

Originally posted by Hard Harry
    Perhaps that has contributed to the drop in quality of English cricket over the last decade-and-a-bit?
    Pehaps?
    IMO it's beyond a question that it has.

Cricket Spectator
    Pehaps?
    IMO it's beyond a question that it has.
    yep- on that, i would agree. its been a while since england has produced a quality cricketer who would put fear in the opposition. the recent 'greats' of eng cricket include alec stewart and nasser hussein, both of whom average less than 40 in test cricket. and there doesnt seem to be anyone in the horizon, other than flintoff and maybe, vaughan to an extent, who can lift eng out of this mess.

i think its going to take atleast 6-7 years for eng to be competitive in test cricket again - and im talking abt being competitive with the best - aus, SA and india. england can forget the ashes for a long long time !!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by prithvi
    i think its going to take atleast 6-7 years for eng to be competitive in test cricket again - and im talking abt being competitive with the best - aus, SA and india. england can forget the ashes for a long long time !!
    Well England and SA had a drawn series last summer, we drew with India the year before and in between gave a reasonable effort in the Ashes (all things considered)

That said I wouldn't be bracketing India with Australia and SA as the "best" until they actually win an away series.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information