• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where were you on Day 5 Kennington Oval in 2005?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was on the Isle of Wight ferry coming home from my last honeymoon - I managed to persuade the then Mrs Fertang to get an early crossing with a view to getting back mid afternoon to watch the denouement - my tunnel vision was such that I drove straight through the gate at Southampton where you were supposed to stop and show your passport and was half way back to Reading before the old bill pulled me up on the M3 for speeding - very pleasant officer, fully understood and told me that as long as I didn't break 90 I'd be alright until I got out of Hampshire

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
At home watching. It was around 2am that it finished here in Oz iirc, I was pissed as a fart and couldn't come down afterwards and went to work at 7 with no sleep at all and a raging hangover..............best day at work ever!!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I was chilling at primary school and then sleeping.

Yeah! My team may have lost the Ashes but at least I'm not old! :ph34r:

Pothas

Will never forgive myself (or Sledger) for not skipping our philosophy and ethics lesson and going home at lunchtime. As it was I got home for the last couple of hours, my Dad arrived home with a bottle of Champagne shortly afterwards.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Got back from primary school, was the first day of the year I think, just in time to see Pietersen and Giles' innings end, Harrison bowl four bouncers and Rudi Koertzen remove the stumps.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was on a training course in Peterborough.

I kept track of the score as best I could on the then pretty basic internet I could get from my mobile.

Course ended about three and I tried to listen on the wireless driving home, but my arse went at the fall of another wicket and drove home listening to something or other.

When I got home it appeared we were relatively safe, but even when we were finally dismissed at Oz needed something like 17 an over from the nominal remaining overs left I still couldn't quite bring myself to believe we'd pulled it off.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
****ting myself in the living room at my missus' place in the morning and ma's the rest of the day

Btw Fred what's with them needing a passport after the IoW? I've never had to

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I know I watched it but can't remember the circumstances. It's not exactly the murder of John Lennon or death of Princess Diana.

fredfertang

****ting myself in the living room at my missus' place in the morning and ma's the rest of the day

Btw Fred what's with them needing a passport after the IoW? I've never had to
That doesn't read right does it - what I meant was that I was supposed to stop and show the ticket to demonstrate I hadn't been abroad but I got pissed off in the queue and as the barrier wasn't working I took the view my human rights were being infringed so I just took off

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I watched most of it on an old black & white 12" TV that I kept at school for special events. Most of my classes were happy enough that I wasn't entirely focused on their lessons.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In my lounge room planning my "welcome home" message for the Aussies when they arrived at the airport.

Stapel

International Regular
Got off from work an hour early, drove home, took my bike to "O'Casey's" (The Hague's best known Irish Pub), and watched the last 90 minutes or so. As a neutral, I did root for England, as anyone should when a team is on the brink to end a 20 year drought against a world dominating team. Yet, I remember it as the lamest part of the brilliant 2005 Ashes summer. Enjoyed the free drinks offered by more than happy English expats though.