• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes 2005

starofwonder

Cricket Spectator
Fredie and Kevo get all the glory but lets not forget Straussey and Tres... they put in some hefty partnerships
and ...

I think Im right in saying that Strauss was the only guy to post 2 centuries.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What do we do with Corrin, this new guy has made him superfluous
Until he's moaning in the footy thread and being the best poster in the wrestling thread then I still have a reason to be on this forum ffs

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fredie and Kevo get all the glory but lets not forget Straussey and Tres... they put in some hefty partnerships
and ...

I think Im right in saying that Strauss was the only guy to post 2 centuries.
Pretty sure Brett Lee tonned up at least twice.

edit: actually got 3 tons. Also nearly tonned up 2nd innings at Edgbaston which is ****ing impressive seeing as England got rolled for 182.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Have requested the stickying of this thread.

True story, when I joined CW you
Could sticky threads just for yourself. Boss feature that tbh.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember thinking what a **** Richard was when I first joined for having 2005 as his location, but I see his point now

duffer

So Australia lead 32-31 in Ashes series won, with 5 drawn. Oh god, can't afford to lose this.

edit: Oh wait, I thought this said Ashes 2015.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So Australia lead 32-31 in Ashes series won, with 5 drawn. Oh god, can't afford to lose this.

edit: Oh wait, I thought this said Ashes 2015.
Well we were actually level for a few months :(

Presume that doesn't include the series around 79/80 where the Ashes weren't on the line though, which was won by yer crims. Also, imagine Aussies comfortably ahead on Tests won

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Come on even for you that's grumpy!

Anyway please comment on my post about the series that wasn't for the Ashes. Was hoping you or Fred could say more about it.
I stayed up all night listening to most of it (no TV coverage). It was the first series back for the Packer Aussies and they trounced us. It has to said though that as usual the umpiring was atrocious on a number of vital occasions and DRS would probably have made the series a bit closer. It was only 3 Tests because the Aussies played alternate Tests against England and the West Indies. The Windies won 2-0 despite equally bad umpiring - then they went on to New Zealand and discovered what bad umpiring was really all about.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thanks. Fair enough that no Ashes were on the line given it was only three Tests

duffer

. Also, imagine Aussies comfortably ahead on Tests won
Ashes result summary
Total tests = 336 : Australia 138, England 105, Draws 93.
In Australia = 175 : Australia 91, England 57, Draws 27.
In England = 161 : England 48, Australia 47, Draws 66.

edit: from here

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I stayed up all night listening to most of it (no TV coverage). It was the first series back for the Packer Aussies and they trounced us. It has to said though that as usual the umpiring was atrocious on a number of vital occasions and DRS would probably have made the series a bit closer. It was only 3 Tests because the Aussies played alternate Tests against England and the West Indies. The Windies won 2-0 despite equally bad umpiring - then they went on to New Zealand and discovered what bad umpiring was really all about.
Random memories include Gooch running himself out for 99 to deprive himself of what would have been his first test ton, Lillee's aluminum bat and Brearley's massive beard. 35 years on, it would have made him a style icon. At the time, it simply earned him the nickname 'Ayatollah' from the locals. Boycott wrote a massively charmless account of the tour, which was dominated by his quite open antipathy towards Brearley.

As LT says, we were right roundly stuffed. IIRC selections were a bit odd in the first two tests with Rndall having to open to protect Brearly and Gooch from the new ball. It didn't go well.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
My 1p worth on the upcoming Ashes.

The English batsmen seem to be handling the swing of both Southee and Boult well. Having said that both the NZ opening bowlers are quite low on pace from their WC standards. Boult is operating in the low 130s while Southee is more mid 130s. In the WC both bowlers were high 130s with Boult crack 145 on a few occasions. Oz will bring both swing and pace so it is hard to say how well the English batsmen will play.