• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Bangladesh 2015

Marius

International Debutant
De Villiers to miss Bangladesh Tests, Steyn rested for ODIs

ESPNcricinfo staff

AB de Villiers will miss the upcoming Test series against Bangladesh after being granted paternity leave by Cricket South Africa, due to the impending birth of his first child. He will, however, feature in the limited-overs matches and will captain the side in the three-match ODI series. Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander have been rested for the ODIs, and Steyn will also miss the T20 series.

South Africa have named four uncapped players - batsman Reeza Hendricks, wicketkeeper Dane Vilas, left-arm spinner Aaron Phangiso and Under-19 fast bowler Kagiso Rabada - in the Test squad. All four players have been capped by South Africa in limited-overs formats but are yet to play a Test.

Alviro Petersen's retirement earlier this year and de Villiers' absence had forced the changes, according to Andrew Hudson, CSA's convener of selectors.

"Reeza and Stiaan van Zyl are both options to open the batting and Stiaan can also be used in AB's batting position in the middle-order," Hudson said. "Dane provides us with the wicketkeeping cover that would normally also be AB's responsibility.

"Aaron gives us a left-arm spin bowling option and we see this as the ideal opportunity to involve Kagiso in the Test team environment once again, so he will be the back-up fast bowling option."

Rabada and fast bowler Chris Morris have been picked in the ODI team, while allrounder Ryan McLaren, who was not picked for the 2015 World Cup, has been recalled to the squad. Eddie Leie, the 28-year-old legspinner, has been named in the T20 squad, which does not include Steyn, Morne Morkel and Imran Tahir.

Hudson said Leie had been picked with an eye on next year's World T20, which will be held in India.

"With next year's ICC World Twenty20 to be played in India we need to explore our bowling options under sub-continent conditions," Hudson said. "Morris has done well in the IPL as have David Wiese and Beuran Hendricks and this tour represents an important opportunity to broaden their international playing experience."

South Africa's tour will begin with two T20 internationals on July 5 and 7 in Mirpur. The three ODIs will be played on July 10, 12 and 15, in Mirpur and Chittagong. The first Test starts in Chittagong from July 21, and the second match will be played in Mirpur from July 30.

South Africa Test squad: Hashim Amla (capt), Dean Elgar, Reeza Hendricks, Faf du Plessis, Stiaan van Zyl, JP Duminy, Quinton de Kock, Vernon Philander, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Aaron Phangiso, Simon Harmer, Temba Bavuma, Kagiso Rabada, Dane Vilas

ODI squad: AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla (vice-capt), Quinton de Kock, Faf du Plessis, Rilee Rossouw, JP Duminy, David Miller, Farhaan Behardien, Chris Morris, Morne Morkel, Imran Tahir, Kagiso Rabada, Kyle Abbott, Aaron Phangiso, Wayne Parnell, Ryan McLaren

T20 squad: Faf du Plessis (capt), Quinton de Kock, Rilee Rossouw, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, David Miller, David Wiese, Chris Morris, Kyle Abbott, Kagiso Rabada, Aaron Phangiso, Eddie Leie, Wayne Parnell, Beuran Hendricks
De Villiers to miss Bangladesh Tests, Steyn rested for ODIs | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Decent looking squads I think. Only surprise for me is Dane Vilas and Aaron Phangiso in the Test squad. Vilas is good and has been doing well in domestic cricket, just didn't expect to see him there. But I have no idea why Phangiso is there, he's not an FC spinner, he doesn't even get a gig for the Lions feeder sides. Eddie Leie, who is in the T20 squad would have even been a better bet.

SeamUp

International Coach
Also don't know how Kyle Abbott isn't first reserve quick for the test squad. Rossouw missing out on the test squad also debatable.

Like Marius, those 2 selections did surprise me as well. Obviously wanted spin in the opposite direction to Harmer but Robbie P, Maharaj or Leie (Linde long-term) are far better options. Piedt competing with Harmer & it's Harmer's gig at the moment. Vilas chosen over Second purely because he can inject pace into the innings like de Kock I would say.

Leie in the T20 is an interesting one for me. I think he could step up long-term & be the wrist-spin option to replace Tahir who is 36 now. But he is very raw.

Ryan McLaren getting a recall is also interesting.

No Marchant de Lange might surprise some but it isn't a huge shock for myself. Just my opinion but I don't think him, Tsotsobe, Shezi, Viljoen, Paterson are real long-term Proteas prospects amongst the quicks. They could get a couple of caps or couple more here and there though.

So we can also say that Puttick, Cook, Kleinveldt, Robbie P are clearly not in the selectors thoughts due to age.

Contracted CSA players (centrally or developmental) not in the squads are Khaya Zondo, Mangaliso Mosehle, Lonwabo Tsotsobe ,Mthokzisi Shezi + Dane Piedt.

The future in the coming years from domestic scene not in the squad:

Batsmen : Aiden Markram, David White, Gihahn Cloete, Theunis de Bruyn, Khaya Zondo, Cody Chetty, Diego Rosier, Clyde Fortuin (wk)
Spinners: Dane Piedt, Keshav Maharaj, George Linde, Tabraiz Shamsi, Prenelan Subrayen
All-rounders: Calvin Savage, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dayyaan Galiem
Seamers: Daryn Dupavillon , Mathew Pillans, Corne Dry, Duanne Olivier, Travis Muller, Lizaad Williams

Strength of the batting debatable besides de Bruyn & hopefully Markram. Luckily there is the batch of under 27's in the Proteas squads at the moment.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
And ODI-style spinner isn't a bad bet for a BD series. The pitches are roads and the batsmen are aggressive. A bowler who can keep it tight and bowls well against attacking batsmen should go alright.

Don't expect BD to win a game on this tour. Usually I'd back them in the ODIs, but SA are a beastly ODI unit. ABDV could win games off his own bat.

Will be a success if BD stay competitive throughout.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Think the ODI series will be somewhat competitive. Wont be surprised if we can pull one win. The series against India is important to carry the form.

Marius

International Debutant
Also don't know how Kyle Abbott isn't first reserve quick for the test squad. Rossouw missing out on the test squad also debatable.

Like Marius, those 2 selections did surprise me as well. Obviously wanted spin in the opposite direction to Harmer but Robbie P, Maharaj or Leie (Linde long-term) are far better options. Piedt competing with Harmer & it's Harmer's gig at the moment. Vilas chosen over Second purely because he can inject pace into the innings like de Kock I would say.

Leie in the T20 is an interesting one for me. I think he could step up long-term & be the wrist-spin option to replace Tahir who is 36 now. But he is very raw.

Ryan McLaren getting a recall is also interesting.

No Marchant de Lange might surprise some but it isn't a huge shock for myself. Just my opinion but I don't think him, Tsotsobe, Shezi, Viljoen, Paterson are real long-term Proteas prospects amongst the quicks. They could get a couple of caps or couple more here and there though.

So we can also say that Puttick, Cook, Kleinveldt, Robbie P are clearly not in the selectors thoughts due to age.

Contracted CSA players (centrally or developmental) not in the squads are Khaya Zondo, Mangaliso Mosehle, Lonwabo Tsotsobe ,Mthokzisi Shezi + Dane Piedt.

The future in the coming years from domestic scene not in the squad:

Batsmen : Aiden Markram, David White, Gihahn Cloete, Theunis de Bruyn, Khaya Zondo, Cody Chetty, Diego Rosier, Clyde Fortuin (wk)
Spinners: Dane Piedt, Keshav Maharaj, George Linde, Tabraiz Shamsi, Prenelan Subrayen
All-rounders: Calvin Savage, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dayyaan Galiem
Seamers: Daryn Dupavillon , Mathew Pillans, Corne Dry, Duanne Olivier, Travis Muller, Lizaad Williams

Strength of the batting debatable besides de Bruyn & hopefully Markram. Luckily there is the batch of under 27's in the Proteas squads at the moment.
Agree with your analysis.

Really feel for Cook. Seriously, what more must the guy do to get a gig for the Proteas. He's 32, so realistically he could go for another 5 or 6 years. Right now I feel he would be a better bet opening than either Van Zyl or Hendricks.

cricman

International 12th Man
Considering no AB, Bangladesh Favorites in the Limited Overs?

If they pick a couple of quicks and Jubair, the Tests could be very competitive

Burner

International Regular
Ab is playing the ODIs. He is only going to miss the Tests. That said, given the way Bangladesh has played against India, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the series against a full strength SA.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SA is a very good ODI side but they can lose to Bangladesh at home. Will be a nice series but I reckon SA will win it (ODIs).

Swingpanzee

International Regular
I think SA will win the series 2-1, expecting Bangladesh to take a game given their current form as a side.

But seriously, SA has a weird/10 test squad.

Phangiso and Dane Vilas I can't even...

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Huh, I thought dane piedt had a pretty good debut? Why isn't he in the squad?
He didn't have the best end to the domestic season, got mauled and didn't take too many wickets.

Surprised they didn't have Harmer and Piedt, but I suppose it would look odd to dump the incumbent spinner after a pretty good debut.

Marius

International Debutant
He didn't have the best end to the domestic season, got mauled and didn't take too many wickets.

Surprised they didn't have Harmer and Piedt, but I suppose it would look odd to dump the incumbent spinner after a pretty good debut.
He injured his shoulder at the beginning of last season and had to have an op, still hasn't come right.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The fate of the ODI series depends on Amla and AB. If BD can find a way to stop these 2, they can win the series.