• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul dropped from WI squad (nominal retirement thread)

Spark

Global Moderator
As per the rumours yesterday...

cricket.com.au @CricketAus
Chanderpaul not in WI squad. Clive Lloyd: This was a tough decision. We recognise the significant contribution Chanderpaul has made #WIvAUS

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Must be tough playing at that age. Can be absolute gun for years but all it takes is one or two bad series and people decide it means you're finished rather than just in a poor slump.

Could they really not have given him one more series?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If it had been a young batsman who'd had 2 dreadful series, they'd be quick to drop him. Sure, he's got nearly 12,000 runs in the bank but that's meaningless if he's no longer one of the best 4 middle order bats. And he might not be, it's really not as unthinkable as it would've been 12 months ago.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyway, a total gun, one of my favourite batsmen, and absolutely loved his technique.

With the recent retirement of Jayawardene, am I right in saying that's the final link to the 90s now gone?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anyway, a total gun, one of my favourite batsmen, and absolutely loved his technique.

With the recent retirement of Jayawardene, am I right in saying that's the final link to the 90s now gone?
Yeah - assuming Chris Read getting a recall is off the table

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Afridi's still playing

Also Gayle, Herath, Harbhajan were around in the late 90s. And Dan Vettori was in NZ's recent series not sure if he's gone though.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Harbhajan got a recall the other day and Herath's still going. Gayle was a 2000 Test debut ftr.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Younus Khan - Feb 2000 debut - odi & test (played 1st class in the 1990s tho).

Sad to see Chanders go - great player. Carried WI cricket for so long.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excellent player. Not quite sure it's all over though. If some of the new batsmen get dicked by Harris and Johnson, thye could well fall back on Shiv.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shiv is like Afridi. Will forever be around. He's like a **** roach (in a good way). Would survive a nuclear disaster.

Will await his recall in 2017

Marius

International Debutant
I have no idea why there is so much controversy about this. A place in a Test XI isn't a tenured position. The West Indies must do what is right for WI cricket, not what is right for Chanderpaul. He's out of form, and he's 40 - I think dropping him is the right decision.

There's no place for sentiment in Test cricket.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have no idea why there is so much controversy about this. A place in a Test XI isn't a tenured position. The West Indies must do what is right for WI cricket, not what is right for Chanderpaul. He's out of form, and he's 40 - I think dropping him is the right decision.

There's no place for sentiment in Test cricket.
Shouldn't drop ATGs for a poor run of just six tests.

Marius

International Debutant
Shouldn't drop ATGs for a poor run of just six tests.
Is he likely to suddenly find form against Australia? Probably not.

What's more important? Chanderpaul retiring on his own terms, or WI having the best XI against Australia?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is he likely to suddenly find form against Australia? Probably not.

What's more important? Chanderpaul retiring on his own terms, or WI having the best XI against Australia?
You don't know whether he will find his form or not, and neither do I.

The whole point is Chanderpaul definitely belongs in the first XI. Think Hope is better? Has less than a 1000 first class runs under his belt.