• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul dropped from WI squad (nominal retirement thread)

Marius

International Debutant
You don't know whether he will find his form or not, and neither do I.

The whole point is Chanderpaul definitely belongs in the first XI. Think Hope is better? Has less than a 1000 first class runs under his belt.
When do we decide if somebody deserves to be left out?

If they have a bad run over six Tests? Ten Tests? 20 Tests?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Happy to do so, but let's also agree to disagree that it has nothing to do with sentiment or lack of sentiment or rationality or anything. Just the selectors' opinion.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, indeed.

Shiv was dropped so they could move Hope to the middle order anyway, it just didn't eventuate. Then they realised they had no half-decent openers (had Theophile or Johnson made scores in the tour match, they probably would have been in) so brought in another middle order bat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dowrich playing really makes this decision indefensible, tbh. I could sort of get it if it was to get Hope away from opening, but they brought in another middle order bat so he opened anyway. I'm just not buying that Dowrich is better than Chanderpaul.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think they wanted to, but then all of their opening options were absolute **** in the tour match.