• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Continued...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've got to start a new thread for this because, sadly, the original one was closed due to a very bizarre argument about The Gramm"e"r Police.
Originally posted by hourn
gilly today?? very rash shot after being tied down for a pretty short time......
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, a wicket doesn't matter in that instance because you've already got something better - economy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have two issues with that comment:
1) you said earlier that scoring pace doesn't matter. implying keeping your wicket does. so why now is economy a better thing the bowler than wickets??
2) and if i had a bowler in my team with that attitude they'd never bowl. i'd rather see them have 5/80 of 12 overs than 0/10 of 12.
All of this is an argument based on the mixing-up of the First-Class game with the one-day game. The first happened in a one-day game, when I was talking of the First-Class game. Yes, of course batsmen are likely to get themselves out to accurate bowling in the one-day game, because the scoring-rate matters there. It doesn't in the First-Class game.
1) I said scoring pace doesn't matter in the First-Class game. In the one-day game, however, it is the opposite way around. So therefore, economy is more important than wickets.
2) OK, that's your choice. Personally my captain has 2 in his team (I am the former) and he, quite rightly, knows which one he prefers.
If I bowl crap, I'm taken off, and I have no qualms whatsoever about it.