• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Death Bowler

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
When I saw Darren Gough in action in the ODI's in India, that was some really good bowling in the final overs.

Wasim and Waqar could swing the ball in the final overs, which made hem very effective.

Ian Harvey's changes in pace can help save a few runs or take a few wickets, so he too is a contender.

Pollock's accuracy makes him effective in the final overs, along with Ntini's aggression.

Even if it was just one over, Sachin is still capable of bowling a good final over.

The top bowlers in international cricket- Muralitharan, Warne, McGrath, Bond, Pollock, Akhtar,... are capable of bowling well anywhere, anytime, even in the final overs.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Waugh used to be the best 'final 10' bowler I'd personally ever seen with Curtly Ambrose the best of the faster guys (I've always thought that medium-pacers were better in the final 10 as faster guys give the batsman something to work with).

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Mostly when I see Mcgrath and pollock bowling the final overs they are being smacked all over the park. They cant bowl good yorkers so how are they effective??? I remember once seeing Mcgrath figures in the first spell....7-3-9-1, he got only 9 runs of his 7 overs and in his last three,10-3-45-1. Same is with pollock.

I never thought these bowlers were effective in the final overs, guys like wasim who knew how to bowl good swinging yorkers can handle such situations. Not everyone!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Personally i think Kallis bowls best at the death, and is one of the worlds best at it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Armadillo said:
also i forgot andrew hall bowls excellently at the death for Worcestershire

He does... Is he around again this 2004 season?? Pleased that Van Jaarsveld is at Northants too...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hall and Flintoff are both useful at the death due to their ability to bowl good yorkers fairly regularly.

twctopcat

International Regular
Always thought lee was pretty useful as far as yorkers are concerned at the death, only have to look at the vb series game against england last year when we at the point of victory, then he came in:!(

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would for sure pick Wasim Akram.. even though he has retired from the international cricket but because of his control and accuracy with the ball he was (for me still is) the best death bowler. I have seen most of the bowlers who can bowl well in the initial overs get smacked around in the last overs by even the tail enders but Wasim was exceptionally well in these situations as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Gayle is the best 'spinner' IMO.

Collymore is the next best from the Windies.

One of the greatest would have to be Wasim Akram though. When on song he was almost impossible to score off.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
The top bowlers in international cricket- Muralitharan, Warne, McGrath, Bond, Pollock, Akhtar,... are capable of bowling well anywhere, anytime, even in the final overs.
IMO you are right as if you are a top bowler, you should be able to bowl at the death.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavin Larson was perhaps the best defensive bowler I ever saw...I don't think I ever saw him go for more than 35 off his 10 overs EVER.

Maybe during his last season, he started to be hit around but at his peak he was superb at the death & I wish he was around at the moment to solve NZ's current problems.

---- Larson's name is spelt wrong for obvious reasons.

120 ODI matches with an RPO of 3.76 is exceptional, but nevermind the average of 35.39, he was never in the side to take many wickets himself...rather to create pressure & force wickets at the other end.

Last edited: