• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any updates on NZ's tour of Oz later this year?

Skyliner

International 12th Man
'Kane Williamson will be 25 when he hits the 50 test mark, expect him to be 35 when he hits 100' Is scarily what I heard a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't matter what NZ cricket does in test cricket there isn't enough money made playing us.
Why are Australia playing us in 3 tests in Australia then? The issue is NZC scrapping tests, or not pushing for longer series's - we can't definitely say other boards are the problem. The next tour we go on to India, that is penciled in as 3 tests. What we don't need is NZC scrapping tests.

Are you saying that if we were the number 1 ranked side in test cricket, that other nations wouldn't want to play us?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are Australia playing us in 3 tests in Australia then? The issue is NZC scrapping tests, or not pushing for longer series's - we can't definitely say other boards are the problem. The next tour we go on to India, that is penciled in as 3 tests. What we don't need is NZC scrapping tests.

Are you saying that if we were the number 1 ranked side in test cricket, that other nations wouldn't want to play us?
Read an article in the paper last week that New Zealand have requested one of the tests be cancelled and replaced with three ODIs. Did anyone else see this? Any news on this?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Read an article in the paper last week that New Zealand have requested one of the tests be cancelled and replaced with three ODIs. Did anyone else see this? Any news on this?
It's all but confirmed as happening. They want to cash in on reviving the Chappell Hadlee. Which isn't a bad idea in itself because it's one of the few non-tournament ODI series that's somewhat interesting, it's just that it makes a 3 test series a 2 test series...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
'Kane Williamson will be 25 when he hits the 50 test mark, expect him to be 35 when he hits 100' Is scarily what I heard a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't matter what NZ cricket does in test cricket there isn't enough money made playing us.
Well whatever is in store for us it can't be much worse than the old FTP, where (excluding home tests v Bangladesh and all tests v Zimbabwe) we have just 27 tests scheduled over the next 4 years (5 apiece against SA, Aus and Pakistan, 4 against Sri Lanka, 3 against WI and India and 2 against England). Having said that, given some of the things that White has said in the last month, I don't think our schedule will have changed very much.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
The annual ICC conference is taking place from 22-26 June in Barbados. Apparently the reps from Aus / NZ / WI will discuss matters pertaining to the coming summers schedule at this conference. As the dates for the tours to Aus this summer have not yet been announced, I'm wondering if these meetings are what is causing the delay. Given that WI are demonstrably pants in their own home conditions against Aus, I'm wondering if the NZ tour will be extended to a 4 test series, and the WI tour cut to 2. There is a bit being written in the Aus media about how NZ tour should be the show piece tour of the summer, due to the comparatively dire state of WI cricket.

The annual ICC conference is taking place from 22-26 June in Barbados. Apparently the reps from Aus / NZ / WI will discuss matters pertaining to the coming summers schedule at this conference. As the dates for the tours to Aus this summer have not yet been announced, I'm wondering if these meetings are what is causing the delay. Given that WI are demonstrably pants in their own home conditions against Aus, I'm wondering if the NZ tour will be extended to a 4 test series, and the WI tour cut to 2. There is a bit being written in the Aus media about how NZ tour should be the show piece tour of the summer, due to the comparatively dire state of WI cricket.
The typical Aussie cricket fans from what I extrapolate would prefer NZ to be the showpiece. But we are not getting the MCG test, so we won't get the SCG test, and we will not be the showpiece. It would appear that CA doubted whether NZ could continue its purple patch of form (which would have been in its infancy or the decision was made before NZ played well) and thought that the West Indies despite being crap are a more popular side for Australians to watch. CA have possibly stuffed up - not the Aussie cricket fan.

This was not a summer that CA was really looking forward to. They want the draw cards of India, England and South Africa touring ad nauseam. If NZ continue to play well in an entertaining manner - we could become a drawcard.

Last edited:
Why would you care about ranking of loser?
Because NZ has never been number 1, and our best side was the second best team of the 1980s. Furthermore, and logically it is a milestone for this NZC team to surpass. Once 2nd, it can than then try to challenge for #1.

Small steps.

Flem274*

123/5
They want the draw cards of India, England and South Africa touring ad nauseam. If NZ continue to play well in an entertaining manner - we could become a drawcard.
only if we rename the team to "india", "england", "south africa" or even "not new zealand".

it might be a good and entertaining new zealand team but it's still called new zealand.

only if we rename the team to "india", "england", "south africa" or even "not new zealand".

it might be a good and entertaining new zealand team but it's still called new zealand.
I disagree. If NZ became #1 or even #2 and sustained that position, they would get far more invitations to tour Australia and longer tours elsewhere. We need to become a draw card. We appear to be well on our way.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I disagree. If NZ became #1 or even #2 and sustained that position, they would get far more invitations to tour Australia and longer tours elsewhere. We need to become a draw card. We appear to be well on our way.
SA never really get more than 3 tests at most.

SA never really get more than 3 tests at most.
Only the Ashes and India do.

Aren't there or weren't they're previously ICC rules and guidelines in place about that? Preventing 5 test series say between South Africa and Australia?

I thought the ICC did something like that to prevent the lower ranked test nations like NZ and the West Indies from falling into oblivion with the big 3 and South Africa from just playing amongst themselves with a bit of Sri Lanka and Pakistan. I could be wrong. They may have done away with it because there are 4 test series home and away comming up between SA and Aus, and SA v Eng. But all the 5 test series I see are either England and India, and the Ashes. Plus SA is getting more ODI trips to Australia in years that they do not tour for test.

That really is a concern for the smaller nations that are not South Africa, India, England or Australia.

Australia likes it home summer 5 test ashes with a two test series against a smaller side, and two three test teams.

Also SA get regular tours which are reciprocated. And they are both Southern hemisphere nations.

NZ gets far too many 2 test tours. Often both home and away against all comers. I cannot fathom why NZ is treated behind the West Indies. Sri Lanka are probably not impressed with their lot.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I cannot fathom why NZ is treated behind the West Indies. Sri Lanka are probably not impressed with their lot.
Come on buddy. It's the same reason the frequently farcical and shambolic play in the CPL has proven to be viable and marketable to casual cricket fans around the world, obvs.

Howsie

International Captain

Because the West Indies are also touring this summer. I'd bet my life that were India touring for example New Zealand would only get two tests.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
The NZ test tour to Australia in the summer of 2001/02 was extremely competitive, with NZ almost pulling off victories in the tests at Brisbane and Perth.
It was no concidence that this tour featured an excellent programme of build-up matches prior to the tests, which had the NZ players acclimatised and in the groove.
2 three day matches against the QLD Academy of Sport, 1 three day match against the ACT Presidents II, and a 4 day first class game against South Australia was the build up programme, with NZC arranging the extra matches in order to ensure their preparation was as good as possible.
Yet despite the successful outcome, surprisingly this formula was not adopted again. Instead the build up was test tours to either of Zimbabwe or Bangladesh - playing on pitches diametrically different to those in Australia - and then a sole warm-up game. Totally inadequate preparation.
This time around, I'd like to see NZC take a 'no stone left unturned' approach and endure the best possible build up possible, scheduling extra warm-up matches.
We have to realise the importance of these 3 tests in Australia. Right now other nations are noting our recent results, and we do have a very good team. We are going to be coming off a one-day tour of South Africa, and with no long format cricket since England in May. A truncated build up of one game will not cut the mustard.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Everyone's chomping at the bit to see Day/Night Test Cricket?
Because it seems odds on that it's going to happen in Australia vs NZ series this November, despite whatever objections the players may have expressed.