Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "If McGrath doesn't step on that ball, we win the Ashes. Probably 5-0"

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar

"If McGrath doesn't step on that ball, we win the Ashes. Probably 5-0"

So reckons Matthew Hayden anyway. Just watching the Glenn McGrath special that's come on Sky after the cricket and he's just uttered those words.

I think Hayden's deluded about the 5-0 part, Australia's batting was pretty wretched that series so I don't see a 5-0 occurring but it raises an interesting point anyway. In that parallel universe, where McGrath was fit for Edgbaston and bowls Australia to a 2-0 series lead, how differently do we think cricket turns out for both countries?
    ​63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Not many teams have ever come back from 2-0 down so, if that occurred, they probably would have won the series. But I don't think it's a given at all that they'd have won even if McGrath played. It says a lot about the success of English plans to the Aussie bats that both of their two best bowlers had brilliant series' yet the team was beaten comfortably.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 21-05-2015 at 01:08 PM.

There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    If wishes were fishes, the world would be an ocean.
    NZTailender likes this.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Look in the book.

Though Australia might have done better had Hayden not batted like a blind man with no arms for the series.
    Last edited by flibbertyjibber; 21-05-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Not many teams have ever come back from 2-0 down so, if that occurred, they probably would have won the series. But I don't think it's a given at all that they'd have won even if McGrath played. It says a lot about the success of English plans to the Aussie bats that both of their two best bowlers had brilliant series' yet the team was beaten comfortably.
    I'm wondering more along the lines of: would Warne and McGrath have carried on post 2005? Don't think it's a coincidence that they gave it up when they did having extracted the most brutal of revenges.

And for England, would **** blokes like Harmison have been persisted with anywhere near as long if their name hadn't been prefixed with "2005 Ashes Winner"?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Come on now. Don't make out that's anything to do with why Harmison was persisted with.

I think up until the 2009 Ashes there was definitely a desire from some to reunite the band from 2005.

I'm not saying it was the only reason but I think being part of a successful side can certainly help mask your own individual failings. No-one seemed to notice in 2005 that apart from taking 5 on the first day and hitting Ponting, Harmison did **** all all series bar one slower ball. Failure is much more easily tolerated in a successful side. To use a topical example; let's say that England go Down Under in 2013 and win 2 or 3-1. No chance KP gets dumped.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    The way McGrath bowled in that 1st test though. I can see what Hayden is saying.

Did Ponting win the toss and bowl in the 2nd test?

England always used to sneak at least one Test at home against the great Aussie sides, so I'd say 4-1 or 3-1 to Australia with a fit McGrath playing all through the series.

Think it was actually Justin Langer, not Hayden.

Quote Originally Posted by JTemperance View Post
    England always used to sneak at least one Test at home against the great Aussie sides, so I'd say 4-1 or 3-1 to Australia with a fit McGrath playing all through the series.

Think it was actually Justin Langer, not Hayden.
    It was Hayden.

International Debutant
    Never have I heard a better case for 'if my Aunty had a dick, she'd be me Uncle'.

If Klusener's brain didn't press the eject button in the 99 semi, Australia might only have the 87 World Cup to their name. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Never have I heard a better case for 'if my Aunty had a dick, she'd be me Uncle'.

If Klusener's brain didn't press the eject button in the 99 semi, Australia might only have the 87 World Cup to their name. Who knows.
    An interesting POV but there's absolutely no way they don't win at least the 2007 World Cup. That team is the greatest team the ODI game will ever see IMO.

Also the segment Sky had on him was top quality. **** McGrath was amazing.

Sky really cheapened the "Cricket's Greatest" theme they had going on for an hour by following McGrath with a hack like Kallis.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    An interesting POV but there's absolutely no way they don't win at least the 2007 World Cup. That team is the greatest team the ODI game will ever see IMO.
    Oh no doubt they were, it's not actually a point of view I hold - just saying there's all sorts of hypotheticals we could throw up. We could say SA have been burdened by the 99 disaster at every World Cup since, maybe that would've been Australia? I doubt it, but who knows.

Hayden is being a bit of an arrogant prick suggesting it. England were a very good side who played the better cricket from Edgbaston on. And no one shot McGrath - he stood on a ball in a warm-up drill that I think I'm fairly safe in saying was placed there by his own side, not the man on the grassy knoll.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    It's certainly a lot tougher to see England rattling up 400 on day 1 at Edgbaston if McGrath had been playing. On the other hand, it's a lot harder to imagine McGrath putting together a 60 run last wicket partnership as well, so who knows?

I do agree that if England had lost that test things could've unravelled very quickly through a combination of declining morale and possible selection changes.
    NZTailender likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information