• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical Question

Would he be selected?

• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CameronL

Banned
Ok,
Surpose there was a batsmen as good or perhaps even better than Bradman. He was a certainty to average around 100 in test matches just as Bradman did.

BUT

He couldnt field at all. He was the worst fieldsman you could possibly imagine. Ten, twenty times worse than the the worst you can think of. He's big, fat and slow. Has trouble bending down to field etc. Appalling catching, will drop absolute sitters and no amount of practise can make him better.

Now my question is, in this day and age where fielding is so important and the standards of fielding are so high, would this brilliant batsmen be selected to play test cricket?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah he would. They'd just hide him in the field and abuse sub fielders. And any drops/misfields he'd more than make up for by being twice as good as any other potential batsman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just put him at slip.
This is a terrible idea.

But yeah he'd definitely be picked. The worst possible fielder I can imagine is essentially someone who misses literally everything -- so it'd just be like fielding with ten. I'd field with ten for a chance to have a batsman averaging 100.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
This is a terrible idea.

But yeah he'd definitely be picked. The worst possible fielder I can imagine is essentially someone who misses literally everything -- so it'd just be like fielding with ten. I'd field with ten for a chance to have a batsman averaging 100.
True you don't want your seamer work ages to get an edge only to be dropped if the keeper can't reach it haha.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, you'd pretend you were setting a field of ten (or er, eight, excluding keeper/bowler) without him, then find a spot for him after that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Should be remembered that Phil Tufnell and Devon Malcolm both played together in the one team on quite a few occasions.

Red

Premise is absurd anyway. Likelihood is that anyone capable of averaging 100 with the bat would be a better than average fielder. Most great batsmen are gun fielders also, cos the skills required are similar.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm struggling to see a hypothetical situation where this could exist, the timing, running and hand eye coordination required to be a brilliant batsman would naturally lend to being an okay fielder.

Oh I've got it, he has a phobia of cricket balls. Can hit them but can't physically touch them.

Where do you put a man that literally can't pick up the ball? Sit him behind the keeper maybe?

CameronL

Banned
That's the idea of a hypothetical - a "what-if" situation. It doesn't matter how absurd it might seem to you. If you think it's absurd or can't see how it could happen then feel free to not comment.

Yes the idea would be that you are essentially fielding with 10. I'm not so sure that over the course of a test match innings that a player like this wouldn't give up more in the field than he would gain at the crease. He is averaging 50 more than the best batsmen in the world and I think there would be plenty of occasions where fielding with 10 would give away more than this.

Red

Why can't the guy field though? Seriously? I struggle to see how a batsman who averages 100 could not field at all. Is there a reason? Expand on the hypothetical pls?

And can he bowl at all?

CameronL

Banned
No need to explain further as it's not relevant. There was already a brief description in the OP. All you need to know is that he is so bad you are essentially fielding with 10.

Can he bowl? Hadn't considered that but perhaps you can offer an opinion on both the able to bowl and unable to bowl scenarios.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Is he only as bad as a random person picked off the street would be at fielding in a Test match, or is he tragically, hopelessly inept?

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Sure he'd get selected. Put him at third man / fine leg.

Ridiculous though. If he's that good a batsman, his hand-eye co-ordination can't be that bad.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, hypothetical seems impossible. Multiple personality disorder maybe. Would have him anyways. Third man.