• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can any Indian bowler consistently bowl a yorker?

jpatel1508

Cricket Spectator
Does India have bowlers that can consistently bowl yorkers like some of the Aussies?
I'm extremely dissapointed that the selectors would pick someone like Nehra to the side. He's not great at bowling, he's a terrible fielder, and a terrible late order batsman. Balagi is also not a great bowler, just an ok bowler.
Pathan is the exception...may go for runs, but can pick up key wickets and also bat really well.
India seriously needs to groom some very good young bowlers who can bowl yorkers at the speed of 140 to 150 Km/h.
On a side note,
Does anybody else think that India don't have an agressive batting lineup anymore. Tendulkar is not the same as he use to be. Laxman and Dravid are better suited for test match in my opinion as they don't take any risks. Ganguly just needs his form back.
Except for Sehwag, our four top order batsmans are not agressive. Yuvraj and Pathan are the only other ones that are agressive. India need Kaif, Harbajhang, and maybe Ambati Rayudu to the side.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bit of a gloomy look on things... I think India would have a chance of beating SA and are the second best side in the world, although, I agree, their bowling is a worry...

Srinath has left a hole, and where is Aavishkar Salvi?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
jpatel1508 said:
Does India have bowlers that can consistently bowl yorkers like some of the Aussies?
I'm extremely dissapointed that the selectors would pick someone like Nehra to the side. He's not great at bowling, he's a terrible fielder, and a terrible late order batsman. Balagi is also not a great bowler, just an ok bowler.
Pathan is the exception...may go for runs, but can pick up key wickets and also bat really well.
India seriously needs to groom some very good young bowlers who can bowl yorkers at the speed of 140 to 150 Km/h.
On a side note,
Does anybody else think that India don't have an agressive batting lineup anymore. Tendulkar is not the same as he use to be. Laxman and Dravid are better suited for test match in my opinion as they don't take any risks. Ganguly just needs his form back.
Except for Sehwag, our four top order batsmans are not agressive. Yuvraj and Pathan are the only other ones that are agressive. India need Kaif, Harbajhang, and maybe Ambati Rayudu to the side.
The last thing you need is overreaction -- a defeat (even a very bad one) is no reason to automatically drop half the side.

It's very disappointing AAvishkar Salvi was injured and had to pull out of the Aussie tour -- I wanted to see how good he really was in the ultimate place to perform.
He certainly had the credentials for test and ODi selection based on his performances with India A.
He still seems to be on the injury list -- he hasn't played for Mumbai all season and he hasn't been included in the West Zone team for the Duleep trophy.
Anyone here know what the latest is concerning his injury ?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I would not say India are the 2nd best team in the world. Their bowling is seriously weak and although South Africa's batting isn't as strong, they do tend to bat right down the order and overall I don't think their batting is anywhere near as weak as India's bowling, whilst South Africa's bowling is about on a par with India's batting. What's the point in having a strong batting side if you can't defend your total? The only way I can see India winning consistantly is if they set a total so high that the opposition have no chance reaching it, or, to add another, if their batsmen manage to chase down a huge total. They cannot be consistant because no batsman can keep on scoring 100 every innings...

jpatel1508

Cricket Spectator
Yup, I was overreating to Dravid and Laxman not pounding it when India needed to get 8 an over. I just don't see the reason on playing defensive shots when you have to chase 360 in 50 overs. I'd rather India go all out for 100 from 75 bowls instead of 250 from 300 bowls when chasing a total as high as that.
I just think India need to change the batting order. We need to take advantage of the first 15 overs. Maybe an opening pair such as Sehwag and Yuvraj would be much better.

This is how I think it should be:

Sehwag
Yuvraj
Tendulkar
Pathan
Laxman
Ganguly
Dravid
Agarkar
?
?
?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Rik said:
I would not say India are the 2nd best team in the world. Their bowling is seriously weak and although South Africa's batting isn't as strong, they do tend to bat right down the order and overall I don't think their batting is anywhere near as weak as India's bowling, whilst South Africa's bowling is about on a par with India's batting. What's the point in having a strong batting side if you can't defend your total? The only way I can see India winning consistantly is if they set a total so high that the opposition have no chance reaching it, or, to add another, if their batsmen manage to chase down a huge total. They cannot be consistant because no batsman can keep on scoring 100 every innings...
We'll have to see how RSA's bowling attack performs against Australia to gauage hoiw good they really are.
In 2001-2002 Australia made mincemeat of the vaunted South African bowling.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, back on topic,

Zaheer is the best Indian exponent of the 'consistent' yorker in ODI cricket I have ever seen.

So to answer the question, the answer is

Zaheer Khan

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
We'll have to see how RSA's bowling attack performs against Australia to gauage hoiw good they really are.
In 2001-2002 Australia made mincemeat of the vaunted South African bowling.
The South African attack contains Nel, Ntini, Adams, Hall and not to mention highest ranked seamer in the world Shaun Pollock. Now who do India have? Zaheer Khan who can't get his average under 30? Ashish Nehra who can't even seem to bowl? Ajit Agarkar who has managed to take his 50+ Test wickets at over 40 apiece? Harbajan and Kumble are the only 2 bowlers India have who possess a threat. Khan might in the future but he seems far too inconsistant at the moment and looked very very pedestrian in England.

The Indian attack was basically murdered by the Australian attack, just like every other attack in the world. The difference is, South Africa's hasn't been murdered consistantly by any other team...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Rik said:
The South African attack contains Nel, Ntini, Adams, Hall and not to mention highest ranked seamer in the world Shaun Pollock. Now who do India have? Zaheer Khan who can't get his average under 30? Ashish Nehra who can't even seem to bowl? Ajit Agarkar who has managed to take his 50+ Test wickets at over 40 apiece? Harbajan and Kumble are the only 2 bowlers India have who possess a threat. Khan might in the future but he seems far too inconsistant at the moment and looked very very pedestrian in England.

The Indian attack was basically murdered by the Australian attack, just like every other attack in the world. The difference is, South Africa's hasn't been murdered consistantly by any other team...
I never said that India's attack was better than RSA's Rik.
All I'm saying is that let's wait before passing judgement on South Africa's attack. Unfortunately they won't play Australia for a while, but they do face tougher tasks later this year.

Pollock is class but the others, only time will tell.
South Africa are due to face NZ, SL and India later this year (the latter two on the subcontinent). The batsmen of those nations will provide stiffer opposition than what the Windies did. Then we can judge their attack.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
I never said that India's attack was better than RSA's Rik.
All I'm saying is that let's wait before passing judgement on South Africa's attack.
I think South Africa's attack has done enough to do without having to pass judgement on them! The series against Australia was injury ridden anyway.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Ntini has done very well in South African conditions particularly against the likes of Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
He was considerably less successful against Australia and India.

But away from home, out of nine tours, he has performed really well in only one: viz against Bangladesh in 2003.
He did ok in England in 2003-- he picked up a fair swag of wickets (23) but they came at an average of 35.39.

Andrew Hall has played four test series, he has had 2 good ones and two bad ones.

Andre Nel, has had one decent series against the Windies at home.

Paul Adams seems rather inconsistent -- a good series seems to be followed by two pretty bad ones.

So I think its fair to say that RSA still have a bit to prove about the strength of their attack.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
jpatel1508 said:
they didn't have any choice with nehra due to injuries...

as for the yorkers - you should note that its not the easiest thing to to, at pace its even harder, in fact at pace there is only 3 bowlers in the world that can do that sort of thing, sure it would be nice for india if they could do it but its not a neccesity, other teams and bowlers can do the job.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
Ntini has done very well in South African conditions particularly against the likes of Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
He was considerably less successful against Australia and India.

But away from home, out of nine tours, he has performed really well in only one: viz against Bangladesh in 2003.
He did ok in England in 2003-- he picked up a fair swag of wickets (23) but they came at an average of 35.39.

Andrew Hall has played four test series, he has had 2 good ones and two bad ones.

Andre Nel, has had one decent series against the Windies at home.

Paul Adams seems rather inconsistent -- a good series seems to be followed by two pretty bad ones.

So I think its fair to say that RSA still have a bit to prove about the strength of their attack.
Hardly the case. Nel has started his Test career with a bang, Ntini was the leading wicket-taker last year and Polly's record speaks for it's self. Granted Hall and Adams are inconsistant. But still, I think there is enough proof sitting right there.

Eclipse

International Debutant
masterblaster said:
Yeah, back on topic,

Zaheer is the best Indian exponent of the 'consistent' yorker in ODI cricket I have ever seen.

So to answer the question, the answer is

Zaheer Khan
But can he do it under pressure??

In the WC Final he tried to bowl yorkers but got smashed same with the game in the TVS cup were Australia made 340 odd.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Zaheer Kahn has a long way to go, but I believe he has the potential to be a good bowler at the death. I'd much prefer him that Nehra.

You've overexaggerated Laxman and Dravid. Laxman got 3 100s in the series and does anyone remember Dravid's knock against NZ in the TVS Cup to get India in to the final? That was amazing batting at the death.

It's our bowlers that are weak, our batting is fine.

PY

International Coach
jpatel1508 said:
This is how I think it should be:

Sehwag
Yuvraj
Tendulkar
Pathan
Laxman
Ganguly
Dravid
Agarkar
?
?
?
Seems a bit of a waste to have a world-class batsman like Dravid at 7. Would never get a bat. :O

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's all about planning. The Australians had a few catching positions for VVS Laxman and a specific delivery. It worked. Same fr the ball that got Sehwag out. And also Ganguly. Not to mention Tendulkar's weakness against express pace. That way, everyone has a plan for every opposition batsman. And the Indians? What planning? What bowling? What fielding? I am surprised, even SHOCKED that nobody cares about the bowling and fielding. It's bad enough it hapens once or twice, but so many times? It's just too much. I think there are major faults with the leadership.

Anyway, why do they have to give so much width to the Australian batsmen? They are not helping themselves much, are they? Not to mention so many length balls. And on the pads. Worse, even when the fast bowlers are getting smashed, Ganguly still persists with them, like they're great bowlers. They're not! In fact, none of them are fit to play international cricket, except probably Irfan Pathan and Balaji and Bhandari. The team's bowling strength is spin. Yet, we see the Indian captain is very indifferent toward his spinners. At least Dravid and Kumble could use them better. Not to mention Agarkar's attempts at bowling 150+ balls and bouncers- the little man can't do it, why does he even try? He's just ruining his bowling figures. It's because of bowlers like these that the Indians can't take wickets.

Here's an idea- how about Irfan Pathan opening the batting in ODI's for a few matches?

If the Indians have to win more matches, they have to play their best bowlers, even if they have to play Kumble and Harbhajan in the same match- they have to. Of course, with Harbhajan out of action, they might have to play Ramesh Powar. Even Sehwag should be used as a frontline spinner.

In the Kenstar series before the VB Series, Bhandari and Bangar, slow bowlers as they may be, stuck to a good line and length and did not give much room for the opposition batsmen. In fact, they had rather good bowling figures in that tournament. Just shows what good line and length, with some ability to move the ball can do.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Bit of a gloomy look on things... I think India would have a chance of beating SA and are the second best side in the world, although, I agree, their bowling is a worry...

Srinath has left a hole, and where is Aavishkar Salvi?
That would not help at all. Remember the World Cup final? He was one of the targets in that match, after which I was one of many who said that he's of no use to the team after that.

As for Salvi, he was bowling well in Dhaka, then had an average tour of England with the A team, then he got injured. After that, he was not quite the same bowler, but he's a good pace prospect.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
Seems a bit of a waste to have a world-class batsman like Dravid at 7. Would never get a bat. :O
Especially with Pathan at 4, and 2 Top Drawer ODI openers not opening for one that is untried in that role.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
Here's an idea- how about Irfan Pathan opening the batting in ODI's for a few matches?
Why though?

In Ganguly, Sehwag and Tendulkar, they already have 3 top class ODI openers to pick 2 from - so why try bringing someone else in?