• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Batting Machine

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
wow, they look nice. Wouldnt mind having some sessions with one of those instead of unreliable 60km/h attempted spin bowling from my mates.

Pity government schools over here dont have them :P

Ferd

U19 Vice-Captain
Not only Government schools that dont have them. Wouldn't mind one for christmas though....

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Are they pretty predictable? As good as having the real thing bowl or not?

I am thinking of finding somewhere around here that has one, probly Meulemans or something and get some batting coaching.

Does anyone know around Perth that does batting coaching?

Sorry to half hyjack thread. My bad.

Lora

Cricket Spectator
The cricket club I'm involved in has the BOLA. And my dad uses it to coach his under 11s (not at 90mph but he has threatened one with it after his dad bowled my uncle out) by placing it on three stumps rather than the stand.

It's good for practising the same thing over and over again because, unlike a human, it gets the ball in exactly the same spot every time if it's left.

But for the same reason it's not great for practise if you want to recreate an over since it takes time to move it's direction and height etc since we don't have the random delivery mode.

But the spin/swing is good fun!!

And it's bloody heavy to get into the loft!!!

Langeveldt

Soutie
We have a tatty old thing at school... I wasnt really into it because I would rather face real bowling...

Coincidentally I had my first bat against it on Wednesday.. I was really impressed... I loved the way that I would hit a stonking cover drive, and then try the same shot to the next ball, but there is just enough variation to make you look like a prat when you try and pre meditate shots (something i do to much)...

They can bowl insanely quickly by the way....

Excellent stuff, i want one! Although they are a bit of a hassle to set up...

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
We have a tatty old thing at school... I wasnt really into it because I would rather face real bowling...

Coincidentally I had my first bat against it on Wednesday.. I was really impressed... I loved the way that I would hit a stonking cover drive, and then try the same shot to the next ball, but there is just enough variation to make you look like a prat when you try and pre meditate shots (something i do to much)...

They can bowl insanely quickly by the way....

Excellent stuff, i want one! Although they are a bit of a hassle to set up...
they are also a tad hard on the pocket.at cricket express they are about 8000$(NZ)

:O

deeps

International 12th Man
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Are they pretty predictable? As good as having the real thing bowl or not?

I am thinking of finding somewhere around here that has one, probly Meulemans or something and get some batting coaching.

Does anyone know around Perth that does batting coaching?

Sorry to half hyjack thread. My bad.

yup! meulemans has em, and so does uwa.... it's pretty scary...it seems alot quicker than it actually says... i think it's coz u don't actually see the bowler bowling... It's extremely predictable if it's set in the same spot... So the coach has to move it every ball to make it unpredictable... It's got a great slower ball too :P

Lora

Cricket Spectator
BlackCap_Fan said:
they are also a tad hard on the pocket.at cricket express they are about 8000$(NZ)

:O
Yes. I can't remember how much we paid for ours but I remember that after someone told me I was a little reluctant to touch it going along the 'you break it, you bought it' motto.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lora said:
The cricket club I'm involved in has the BOLA. And my dad uses it to coach his under 11s (not at 90mph but he has threatened one with it after his dad bowled my uncle out) by placing it on three stumps rather than the stand.
Put the U11s in the bowling machine..

Lora

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Put the U11s in the bowling machine..
DON'T give me ideas...

I'm not happy cos we've got the under 9's this year. Some of them can't even see over the stumps and I don't know their names. GRRRRRRRRR...

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lora said:
DON'T give me ideas...

I'm not happy cos we've got the under 9's this year. Some of them can't even see over the stumps and I don't know their names. GRRRRRRRRR...
We had an U9 last year who ended the season topping the U15 bowling averages. England potential :)

Kids are wonderful, really, aren't they?

Lora

Cricket Spectator
Neil Pickup said:
We had an U9 last year who ended the season topping the U15 bowling averages. England potential :)

Kids are wonderful, really, aren't they?
I'm annoyed at losing the under-11s cos we've got a decent little all-rounder. He joined us at the start of the season, having only played back yard cricket with his dad and ended up playing under-13 cricket as well as under-11 matches and training and one-on-one sessions on a saturday with dad.

I really wanted to watch him progess. He been a part of the SE Hants/Hampshire development squads this year at both cricket and hockey - he could make it at either but he leans more towards the cricket (you see, he's smart too)

I do enjoy my work with the colts - no matter what I say. They don't talk back as much as the adults.