• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WestIndian Cricket Solution ??

FRAZ

International Captain
I still feel bad If I see Westindies not performing what they should have . I dont think WestIndian cricket team has lost any thing but I think they are stuck in the 80's still . What they need . Coaching , Experts or what else . I think guys like Powell , and Sarwan are capable of doing any thing extraordinary but still they need to be groomed . So what do you think WestIndies should do to meet the millenium cricket challenges ????

Eclipse

International Debutant
They despratly need Lawson back as well as some other quality bowlers.

I think Zimbabwe have a better bowling attack ATM.

FRAZ

International Captain
I dont know if that is true or not , that last good bunch of WestIndian Bowlers like Bichop , Ambrose and Walsh didnt transfer their knowledge to the next generation .Or also their presence in the team was never challenged so when they retired at the same point then it was hard to adjust so many new bowlers at the same time . Wasim , Imran , Qadir and Saqlain etc etc have personally guided and coaached so many new bowlers . why didnt WestIndians do that ?

Craig

World Traveller
FRAZ said:
I dont know if that is true or not , that last good bunch of WestIndian Bowlers like Bichop , Ambrose and Walsh didnt transfer their knowledge to the next generation .
Or also they were perhaps never asked. A lot of former internationals will help and want to help but they never get asked.

The West Indies have that many all-time great players still not doing much in the Caribbean and could offer a lot but never get asked.

Its the stupid reason about having a level III coaching certificate is preventing people Garry Sobers coaching. Look at his record, tell me he isnt qualified?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Knowledge is all well and good but I'm afraid Daniel, Holding, Garner, Roberts, Bishop, Ambrose, Walsh and above all, Marshall, simply had more ability than anyone currently playing.
You can't teach line and length.

Langeveldt

Soutie
They need to get rid of that laid back attitude, get some real discipline into things.. Maybe get in some technique instead of flair...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eclipse said:
They despratly need Lawson back as well as some other quality bowlers.

I think Zimbabwe have a better bowling attack ATM.
Lawson will never be the same.

Also, we have talented bowlers, but they're not ready and not fit.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Solutions to the problems of West Indies cricket:

1/ Play more cricket. Playing two or three months of cricket and then being off for the rest of the year does not help matters. A lot of players end up playing 36-40 days of cricket a year. That's simply not enough. The only way to learn how to play cricket is to play it.

2/ Learn to field. The West Indian bowling was not very good in South Africa admittedly, but anyone who saw the series would know that it wasn't as bad as the stats indicate. If the catches had been held, then South Africa would not have score so many runs.

3/ Get fit and stay fit. A team that can play its best XI game in game out will always do better than one which must hack and cut due injury. For example Collymore has been playing below full fitness for months now, and is only now returning to match fitness.

4/ Get the selection right. A fit best XI for the West Indies would challenge most teams IMO. We need to get the right players in the team at the right time.

The problem with the bowling stems from failure to expose new players at the crucial stage of the mid-90's. When the likes of Dillon, Rose, McLean etc. were debuted they should have been consistently allowed to bowl alongside Ambrose or Walsh. Instead the selectors typecast those two into the opening bowler slot and the youngsters were forced to play second fiddle. It is not easy to graduate from that role into the leader of an attack, as Dillon knows well.

Basically they should have groomed these bowlers into using the new ball and playing the attacking role by pairing them with Ambrose and Walsh instead of with each other.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Its the stupid reason about having a level III coaching certificate is preventing people Garry Sobers coaching. Look at his record, tell me he isnt qualified?
AFAIK Sobers is involved in coaching, not at senior level, but within the system.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

1/ Play more cricket. Playing two or three months of cricket and then being off for the rest of the year does not help matters. A lot of players end up playing 36-40 days of cricket a year. That's simply not enough. The only way to learn how to play cricket is to play it.
So make the Carib Beer Cup Home & Away?

FRAZ

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
AFAIK Sobers is involved in coaching, not at senior level, but within the system.
Or may be stress for upbringing only the fast bowling section isnt just giving good spinners to the game .Actually Westindian domestic structure is amazing (in my view atleast). But I dont know why so many experiments were done like recalling of Hooper, Adams and a few other oldies . I guess they should have kept the same team and a same captain and then slowly introducing youngsters one after another . And why not making a good acadamy which is gonna also train spinners and Good batsmen for the future . A foriegner has got to be there If I am not wrong .... The West Indian talent is just like a Pakistani talent I mean amazing initially .

FRAZ said:
I dont think WestIndian cricket team has lost any thing but I think they are stuck in the 80's still .
If they were stuck in the 80s, would they be in the predicament they are now?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

2/ Learn to field. The West Indian bowling was not very good in South Africa admittedly, but anyone who saw the series would know that it wasn't as bad as the stats indicate. If the catches had been held, then South Africa would not have score so many runs.

3/ Get fit and stay fit. A team that can play its best XI game in game out will always do better than one which must hack and cut due injury. For example Collymore has been playing below full fitness for months now, and is only now returning to match fitness.

4/ Get the selection right. A fit best XI for the West Indies would challenge most teams IMO. We need to get the right players in the team at the right time.

The problem with the bowling stems from failure to expose new players at the crucial stage of the mid-90's. When the likes of Dillon, Rose, McLean etc. were debuted they should have been consistently allowed to bowl alongside Ambrose or Walsh. Instead the selectors typecast those two into the opening bowler slot and the youngsters were forced to play second fiddle. It is not easy to graduate from that role into the leader of an attack, as Dillon knows well.

Basically they should have groomed these bowlers into using the new ball and playing the attacking role by pairing them with Ambrose and Walsh instead of with each other.
I agree with every point and would like to add one.

Stop thrusting talented youngsters into the team before they have a grounding in first class cricket. You might have the odd success storey or innings (Dwanye Smith) but if the team is made up of youngsters - who do they learn from? Lara and Chanderpaul are there for the batsmen (Sarwan and ***le seem to have finally matured) but they need a senior fast bowler who is a permanent fixture in the team to teach the young guns. Maybe this has to be Dillon. I don't think that Drakes' bowling is good enough to command a place in the team any more.

Craig

World Traveller
HAHAHA Chris Gayle's first three letters got censored out.

Liam does Brian Lara have a say on the selection panel or he has no influence what so ever?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

I agree with all of this.
Shame a standard (well, all right, a slightly above standard:)) cricket fan can see this and top WICB administrators can't.:rolleyes:
A problem may stem from the anti-coach mentality imposed by the misinterpretation of the reluctance to be coached by Sobers etc. His famous "mistrust" of coaches has given the hugely damaging impression that coaching isn't neccessary for anyone.
It's not even that Sobers was so good he didn't need coaching - he just knew his game well enough to be his own coach.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Liam does Brian Lara have a say on the selection panel or he has no influence what so ever?
Lara has a pretty big influence as far as I can see. He saw Edwards bowl in the nets, asked for him to be called up and he was.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Why on Earth would Liam put *** instead of ***?
Bizzarre.:wow:
Now it's done it here too!
What on Earth is going on here? I tried to write G folloed by a followed by y and *** was the result! ????:( :(
Can someone who knows the vaguaries of this forum explain?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
So make the Carib Beer Cup Home & Away?
Exactly. The WICB won't do this though, as they will not want the Carib Beer Cup to be going on while we're having a home series because:

a) It will either draw people away from the International cricket (highly unlikely) or draw people away from the domestic cricket (very likely), causing a big financial loss.

b) They want the Test stars to play as many games as possible, because this will bring people in to see the cricket and consequently bring money into the game.

The big problem with the institution of West Indies cricket is money or lack thereof.