• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best number 6 batsman in Tests right now?

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Erm, I think there's a few other players who would have a claim for that "best" title!

I'm referring to current form on series currently / recently completed.....not this season to date.......

I thought Laxman was the best of the Indian batsmen in OZ & had more of an impact on the series than any other batsman from either side.........similarly Smith keeps setting great platforms for RSA..........

I'd like to know who else has been as influential / consistant in the last tours...........

:)

anzac

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Chanderpaul doesn't bat at 3.

yeah that was one that bothered me........I know he's been batting lower in RSA but from memory he some time earlier at No3............

I know it's not 100% accurate but I was trying to indicate that the core of the batting lineups is usually pretty stable (all things being equal), as opposed to Richard's post that "no-one bats in the same position all the time. Very few bat in the same spot regularly enough to bear comparison."

if he had asserted this for the Lower orders then he would have had more of a case, as this is where most newbies tend to be blooded...............

:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Laxman played well in both the ODI and Test series. I'm not saying Laxman is the best batsman in the world because I believe though he is brilliant, he's not the best. However he was one of the few to bat well in both forms of the game this summer and that can't be ignored because he didn't get player of the series.

anzac

International Debutant
yep I had overlooked that he had not picked up any player of the series awards, and I had overlooked the contributions of Lara & Kallis both of whom I knew had good series.........

It's just a personal thing - I feel that at the end of the VB series Laxman had become India's most dangerous & consistant batsmen - even tho' he 'failed' in the finals......and as such had a bigger impact on the fortunes / outcome of the matches than any other batsman (as OZ has so many trump cards).........

thinking about it some more maybe I am overlapping 'best' with 'most influential' or something..............if you know what I mean..........

:duh:

FRAZ

International Captain
Its useless to say any one other than Laxman as best no.6, Cuz if voting is done then he is gonna get most votes . And we all know where is the vote bank located . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deja moo

International Captain
Its useless to say any one other than Laxman as best no.6, Cuz if voting is done then he is gonna get most votes . And we all know where is the vote bank located .
Originally posted by fraz___

Okay fraz, Lxman isnt the best number 6 right now.

You say who it is?:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
anzac said:
disagree on that one again mate........& strongly

IMO the better Test batting lineups (once settled) are only changed for specific reasons - foremost amongst these would be injuries, followed by tactics (within a match innings), retirements etc........most lineups will experience some change of personnel & order whilst restructuring, esp if any of the above factors are also in effect.........

Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, S Waugh, Gilchrist
Sehwag, X, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly,
Smith, Gibbs, Kirsten, Kallis,
Trescothick, Vaughan, Butcher, Hussain,
Richardson, x, Fleming, Astle, Styris, McMillan,
Jayasuriya, Attapattu, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Tillekeratene,
Gayle, Ganga, Chanderpaul, Lara, Sarwan,

IMO these 'cores' have been pretty consistant selections & positions most of the time............
8D
IMO they've been messed-around with by injury lots, plus spontaneous successes that have been continued with beyond their time.