• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best late Batting Order.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you look at a number of results in test matches especially over the last 3 or 4 years you will see that the reason why NZ has managed to win or draw quite a number of their games is because of the support the lower order has given them.

I think generally from #8-#11 you should be looking for them to add at least 50 runs, well I think the NZ tail is probably capable of adding 100+.

Certainly NZ don't have the best top order batting but they definately have one of the best lower orders, if not the best.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mingster said:
I personally don't think the sight of Shoaib Ahktar coming in at 8 in Tests shows great depth in your lower order.
And the thought of playing any 4 of those 6 you named as the tail doesn't look that inspiring to me.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Mingster said:
Include Brendon McCullum as well. :)
yeah,but he aint that great.Hes an excellent support batsmen though,with quick and efficient running.Although,He leaves his partner a pitch length behind because hes so quick!

Besides Vincent of course,hes pretty dam fast too.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well lets be honest...no lower order should be that threatning to a good bowling side.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just because it's the 'lower' order doesn't mean that the batsmen should be dismissed by a good bowling attack. The term lower order just refers to the position in the batting lineup, not to batting ability.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
McCullum in his last 20 ODI has averaged 30.44 which is pretty good for an 8 who normally comes in with only 10 or 12 overs remaining.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No it isn't. It says he's had a lot of not outs as a number 8 coming in with 10 to 12 overs should get. A good effort in such a circumstance would be over 50 at least.

thierry henry

International Coach
The NZ lower order is POTENTIALLY the best, but then it has been for a while. NZ has a habit of playing at least 10, and often 11 players who "can bat", as we often hear. In yesterday's ODI we had Mills, a genuine all-rounder at first class level, batting 10, test centurion Vettori at 9, and the very competent (yes, he is-and capable of the full range of attacking strokes) Daryl Tuffey at 11. But the thing is, while all of these guys have ability and aspirations with the bat, they don't have the form at international level-in fact, batsman 7-11 (from Oram down) all averaged below 20 in ODIs. I don't doubt that the likes of Mills, Tuffey, and McCullum can be effective batsman- I've seen them all look good at the crease, but they don't do it often enough to really warrant the praise they are sometimes given.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Can I suggest you remove the NZ-tinted spectacles and try again?
To be fair, Tuffey can hold a willow in his hands. He isnt the worst no.10.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Add to this the List A ODI stats:

Tuffey - Inns 70, Ave 12.89, HS 38*
Bichel - Inns 95, Ave 22.13, HS 100, 1x100, 3x50

And it's even more of a no-brainer.
Ah Bichel ahd the advantage of cashing in on some rubbish County bowling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Ah Bichel ahd the advantage of cashing in on some rubbish County bowling.
He was also used up the order (at 5 or 6) because he was good enough to play there - Can you seriously suggest Tuffey is good enough to do that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
To be fair, Tuffey can hold a willow in his hands. He isnt the worst no.10.
But he's not any better than that - he certainly wouldn't be wanted any further up the order.