• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Batsmen v All Bowlers

All Batsmen v All Bowlers

• Batsmen

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Bowlers

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Here is a team (edited) of bona fide tail-enders (majority of ODI innings at 8-11). Not so sure that the Batters would romp it in - unless the pitch is completely dead;

01. Dave Richardson
02. Heath Streak
03. Lance Cairns
04. Mitchell Johnson
05. Brad Hogg
06. Brett Lee
07. Malcolm Marshall
08. Shane Warne
09. Andy Roberts
10. Wasim Akram
11. Joel Garner
despite a fair amount of ducks wasim could be handy with the bat. Don't think he belongs in this list

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IMO the batsmen would take the Tests. ATG batsmen are capable of playing decent innings' against ATG bowlers a lot more than ATG bowlers are capable of playing similarly decent innings' against ATG batsmen rolling their arm over.

smash84

The Tiger King
IMO the batsmen would take the Tests. ATG batsmen are capable of playing decent innings' against ATG bowlers a lot more than ATG bowlers are capable of playing similarly decent innings' against ATG batsmen rolling their arm over.
I would quite disagree. It is much more common for bowlers to stick it out with the bat than batsmen who rarely roll their arm over to get wickets.

Shady Slim

International Coach
thinking back to the australia and india series, australia's bowlers had put together some decent innings with the bat, i think it was the second test where the indians couldn't break the feared Hazlewood/Lyon partnership?

but on the flip side you have ishant charging lyon on that first test so it depends on the way the tailenders bat

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I would quite disagree. It is much more common for bowlers to stick it out with the bat than batsmen who rarely roll their arm over to get wickets.
But we're not talking bowlers who can hold a bat. The likes of Mitchell Johnson and Harbhajan Singh won't be batting against the part timers.

11 Glenn McGraths vs 11 Ricky Pontings? I'd back the Pontings to dismiss the McGraths for much cheaper than the Pontings score against the McGraths.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
But we're not talking bowlers who can hold a bat. The likes of Mitchell Johnson and Harbhajan Singh won't be batting against the part timers.

11 Glenn McGraths vs 11 Ricky Pontings? I'd back the Pontings to dismiss the McGraths for much cheaper than the Pontings score against the McGraths.
Why are we picking batsmen who can bowl to go against bowlers who can't bat? Not a very fair comparison.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Then if you put in a team of All-Rounders as part of the Tri Series, would they win easily?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Trying to think of batsmen who have been legit **** with the ball and bowlers who have been legit **** with the bat.

Matt Hayden (zero international wickets)
David Boon (zero)
Justin Langer (zero)
Richie Richardson (one)
Sunny Gavaskar (two)
Gordon Greenidge (one)
Hashim Amla (zero)

Glenn McGrath (test fifty but really...)
Chris Martin
Courtney Walsh
Phil Tufnell
Devon Malcolm
Makhaya Ntini
Chandresehker
Steve Harmison

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Trying to think of batsmen who have been legit **** with the ball and bowlers who have been legit **** with the bat.

Matt Hayden (zero international wickets)
David Boon (zero)
Justin Langer (zero)
Richie Richardson (one)
Sunny Gavaskar (two)
Gordon Greenidge (one)
Hashim Amla (zero)

Glenn McGrath (test fifty but really...)
Chris Martin
Courtney Walsh
Phil Tufnell
Devon Malcolm
Makhaya Ntini
Chandresehker
Steve Harmison
More like it. True ineptitude on both sides.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Then if you put in a team of All-Rounders as part of the Tri Series, would they win easily?
Exactly. If we're only selecting bowlers who are McGrath level batsmen, then it's not very fair to select Ponting who was by all accounts a reasonable medium pacer.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ponting was a freak. Every time I saw him bowl I got the feeling he could've bowled a lot more and been very good, but his team hardly needed him to bowl with McGrath, Warne, Gillespie, Lee plus Symonds and Watto . If he'd bowled regularly he woulda taken a wicket or so per test I reckon. Nice outswingers.

smash84

The Tiger King

As pointed out this isn't a very apt comparison.

nevermind

U19 Debutant
Glenn McGrath bowling to a field set by Glenn McGrath (c) including a Glenn McGrath keeping wicket, a few Glenn McGrath's in the slips with another Glenn McGrath under the lid and an array of other Glenn McGrath's around the bat would be something really special.

God, just imagine it. Teapots everywhere.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
As per the ICC ODI Rankings

Best XI Bats

T Dilshan (3)
S Dhawan
H Amla
K Sangakkara (+)
V Kohli
AB de Villiers (1)
K Williamson (4)
MS Dhoni (2)
G Maxwell (5)
G Bailey
R Taylor

Best XI Bowlers

Shakib
M Starc
M Johnson
J Anderson
D Steyn
T Boult
M Morkel
S Narine
M Shami
I Tahir
S Ajmal

God you'd give it to the bats every day of the week surely.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The better the pitches are for bowling, the more likely that the batsmen would be able to take 20 wickets imo.

On a flat pitch it'd just be a draw probably.

cnerd123

likes this
As per the ICC ODI Rankings

Best XI Bats

T Dilshan (3)
S Dhawan
H Amla
K Sangakkara (+)
V Kohli
AB de Villiers (1)
K Williamson (4)
MS Dhoni (2)
G Maxwell (5)
G Bailey
R Taylor

Best XI Bowlers

Shakib
M Starc
M Johnson
J Anderson
D Steyn
T Boult
M Morkel
S Narine
M Shami
I Tahir
S Ajmal

God you'd give it to the bats every day of the week surely.
I could envision the Mitches, Dale and Shakib smacking abt the part-timers on a flat pitch, before the bowlers all click in for some great spells to shoot out the batsmen.

Athlai

Not Terrible
As per the ICC Test Rankings

Best XI Bats

D Warner
H Amla
K Sangakkara
Y Khan
AB de Villiers (2)
S Smith (3)
A Mathews (1)
K Williamson (4)
J Root
V Kohli
M-ul-Haq

Best XI Bowlers

M Johnson
R Harris
V Philander
S Broad
T Southee
T Boult
J Anderson
D Steyn
M Morkel
R Herath
S Ajmal

This one is a bit closer but I honestly can't see the bowlers blasting a batting lineup that deep out for less than 350. I don't think the bowlers could make that much, even against that woeful attack.