• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anybody rate Ryan Hurley?

Craig

World Traveller
Certainly been a disaapointment after his good List A record in the Caribbean.

Certainly a brilliant fielder.

Is Gareth Breese anygood?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Ryan Hurley has been a disappointment. With the bat perhaps, but his bowling has been accurate and useful, which is what was hoped of him. If managed correctly (ie not bowling in the slog overs) he could give you ten overs for 40-45 runs and a wicket or two, which is adequate for a spinner in ODIs.

His fielding as was mentioned is generally outstanding and he brings a presence of excitement to the field. IMO he's adrenaline personified.

Gareth Breese is a useful player at best IMO. At domestic level he's above average, but I don't see him being anything more than a run-of-the-mill fingerspinner and useful lower order batsman for the West Indies. Last I saw of him he had crap technique against quality spin, but is decent against the seamers.

All in all he may turn out to be a good ODI player, but I can't see him offering much in the Test arena.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact that Hurley persists in bowling no-balls beggars belief.
Especially in one-day games.
For me he hasn't been a disappointment - he's been as poor as I expected him to be.
Accuracy very overrated IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
1/ For me he hasn't been a disappointment - he's been as poor as I expected him to be.
2/ Accuracy very overrated IMO.
1/ Shocking considering your huge faith in domestic records.

2/ Isn't accuracy line and length? Forgive me if I'm mistaken.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Looked like a good offie, batting very ordinary though!!!

And that fielding effort at the end of the Wanderers match, was among the funniest pieces of cricket I have ever seen...

After the Dave Mohammed "bump" of course.. :lol: :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
The fact that Hurley persists in bowling no-balls beggars belief.
It beggers belief that as a slow bowler he bowls so many no-balls.

(And this my 3000th post)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
It beggers belief that as a slow bowler he bowls so many no-balls.

(And this my 3000th post)
It beggars belief that any bowler off 4 or 5 paces bowls a single no-ball in their career. Let alone in a limited-overs game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Looked like a good offie, batting very ordinary though!!!

And that fielding effort at the end of the Wanderers match, was among the funniest pieces of cricket I have ever seen...

After the Dave Mohammed "bump" of course.. :lol: :lol:
The great thing about Mohammed was, though he mucked-up so many times, he always actually managed to stop the ball in the end!:lol:
The Hurley one was remarkable. Almost as amazing as Ivanesevic playing a winner off his knees in 2001.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
1/ Shocking considering your huge faith in domestic records.

2/ Isn't accuracy line and length? Forgive me if I'm mistaken.
1/ I have more faith in "fingerspinners will never normally make good international bowlers anywhere in South Africa" than even that.
Who does Hurley play for? Is his home ground a spin-friendly venue?
2/ Yes - and he's nowhere near as good at bowling it as everyone seems to think! He has an advantage of bowling at a higher pace than some slow bowlers, like Dharmasena and Kumble. Sadly for him, he doesn't have Kumble and Dharmasena's accuracy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Yes - and he's nowhere near as good at bowling it as everyone seems to think!
Of course, Liam must bow to your better knowledge of him.

Apologise to the man for ever doubting him Liam.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Gareth Breese is a useful player at best IMO. At domestic level he's above average, but I don't see him being anything more than a run-of-the-mill fingerspinner and useful lower order batsman for the West Indies. Last I saw of him he had crap technique against quality spin, but is decent against the seamers.

"A run-of-the-mill fingerspinner and useful lower order batsman" gives him the edge, in my opinion, over Hurley who, on the evidence of the latest series, I would classify as a run-of-the-mill fingerspinner and useless lower order batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yes, and Liam has seen much more of Hurley than you, yet still know more than him.
Yes, and what is said by this that he has seen that is not said by the South Africa series?
Has Liam ever claimed he bowled worse than normal in the South Africa series?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I would still pick Hurley for the ODI team because, if handled properly, he will generally be economical with the ball. He a brilliant fielder and seems to add adrenaline to proceedings. He assisted in re-energizing the WI team last year against Australia.

I would also give him a chance to redeem himself with the bat. Admittedly he has looked rather clueless though. That said, so has Dwayne Smith...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hurley's needs to be "handed" better:
1, someone tell him to move his bowling marker back about two feet.
2, someone teach him to bowl more accurately.
3, bowl him straight through in overs 20-40. That's the only real time spinners have much of a chance on a normal wicket.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Yes, and what is said by this that he has seen that is not said by the South Africa series?
What? This sounds like something Eric Cantona would say. Or perhaps Mad Jack McMad of Blackadder fame.