• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anybody rate Ryan Hurley?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
garage flower said:
What? This sounds like something Eric Cantona would say. Or perhaps Mad Jack McMad of Blackadder fame.
It makes sense if you care to read it properly.
Can you really find no faults except non-existant ones in my terminology?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't know who you've been watching, but Hurley is pretty accurate.
Craig said:
Going at over 5 an 6 an over is not accurate.
I would have said this, but Craig beat me to it.
If you have the advantage of bowling at Hurley's pace, it is almost impossible to score especially fast from you if you bowl accurately.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
It makes sense if you care to read it properly.
Can you really find no faults except non-existant ones in my terminology?
I'm sure I could find plenty, given the time and the inclination.

The problem is Richard, it took me so long to understand what you meant, that by the time I had I couldn't be bothered to address your point.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Going at over 5 an 6 an over is not accurate.
Er... good batting. The game is not one-dimensional Craig.

EDIT: Sub Richard for Craig.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
I would have said this, but Craig beat me to it.
If you have the advantage of bowling at Hurley's pace, it is almost impossible to score especially fast from you if you bowl accurately.
The easiest accurate bowling to dispatch is slow bowling. If you know the line and length the ball will be on you have all the time in the world to get into position to dispatch it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The easiest accurate bowling to dispatch is slow bowling. If you know the line and length the ball will be on you have all the time in the world to get into position to dispatch it.
Exactly. I don't know what Richard was thinking when he said that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Even if he's a finger-spinner, and therefore automatically useless?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Automatically useless as an attacking force on typical South African wickets, yes, but Dharmasena and Kumble don't exactly offer an attacking threat either, do they - but because they bowl much quicker than most fingerspinners (albeit Kumble is not a fingerspinner, the amount he spins the ball is akin to one) they can still be economical on any wicket. And both have.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Er... good batting. The game is not one-dimensional Craig.

EDIT: Sub Richard for Craig.
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
halsey said:
Exactly. I don't know what Richard was thinking when he said that.
I'll tell you what I was thinking halsey - exactly the same thing I've always thought since I thought about the matter in depth.
Bowling at 56-60 mph (a la Dharmasena, Kumble, Hurley) is a hell of a lot different, in one-day cricket, to bowling at 50-52 mph. It is a hell of a lot harder to dispatch "slow-medium" than it is to despatch "slow".
For one thing, accurate slow is never easy to dispatch if the ball's turning, though Liam is quite right that it isn't difficult if it's not (still easier to dispatch inaccurate slow, though).
Accurate slow-medium, however, is much more difficult. You have to make the adjustment from slow, which isn't easy when slow-medium spinners are so rare. You might only have a fraction less time, but it sure makes a difference.
Otherwise Dharmasena and Kumble wouldn't have such good records.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
It is a hell of a lot harder to dispatch "slow-medium" than it is to despatch "slow".
Erm...no.

Roughly 60 m.p.h. is easier to dispatch as there is slightly more pace on the ball, but still slow enough to get into position.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, if it was then Kumble and Dharmasena would have done worse, not better, than the 50mph-ers.
Being quicker is an advantage, because you honestly would not believe what a difference there is between 50 and 60 mph in reaction-time, relative to expected-reaction-time.