• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott retires from international cricket

Spark

Global Moderator
Jonathan Agnew @Aggerscricket
Jonathan Trott announces his retirement from international cricket.

Not a massive shock, but somewhat sad nonetheless. At his best, a very good bat integral to the success of a very good team.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty pissed off at how he's been handled.

And if he'd decided in Grenada that he'd retire, then he should have said then and allowed Lyth a chance in Barbados IMO.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He was the best batsman in the world for a period of 12/15 months. Hope people remember that player and not Ashes 2013 and onwards version.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty pissed off at how he's been handled.

And if he'd decided in Grenada that he'd retire, then he should have said then and allowed Lyth a chance in Barbados IMO.
It's possible he didn't intend to but was dropped a hint or two by the selectors.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah played a huge part when England were good.

I think it was worth taking the chance bringing him back for this series, just a shame it did not work out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good chap. Fine batsman.

For his first 40-odd tests he was probably the most reliable #3 England has had for a good couple of decades. He did what he did. Scratched out his mark and made runs.

It's sad it ended like this, but I think the comeback was worth a go. We now know the second act was just a cameo.

harsh.ag

Have a very high regard for Jonathan Trott. The kind of guy who gave you his all. Will always remember his best. He can be, and hope is, proud.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sad, but agree with Brumby - was always worth seeing if he could work his way back.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gives him his moment I guess.

Yeah his slump began in 2012. Still had the odd good innings and was gun in ODI cricket until the 2013 Ashes home Ashes though.
Pretty sure Trott went into the 2013 Ashes still averaging 50. To finish your career 9 Tests later averaging 44 is quite the slide.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Shame - seemed like a good (albeit intense) bloke. I remember years ago when he played a season for Otago - consummate pro.

Gnske

I hope he's remembered as that guy who murdered Aus in 517/1, the best no 3 for England in years and a great servant rather than just that guy who Mitchell Johnson ended.

Deserved another go and credit for picking himself up for this opportunity, pity it didn't go better.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Just saw a stat on SSN that only Hammond scored more runs at number 3 in tests for England. When you put it like that he's had a pretty awesome career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He was a deadset gun for a period of 18-24 months. Was a big fan.

Last edited: