• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott retires from international cricket

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously don't know what is going through his mind but retiring seems a bit unnecessary to me as he is still a relatively young man who could conceivably play for another 5-6 years

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shame for his career to end this way, but as many have said here and elsewhere, he was a consummate professional. Well organised, no fuss. Just got it done.

Hope retirement brings him good health and much happiness.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Sad it had to end like this

In his debut Test:

As the Australians watched him re-mark his guard in what was rapidly becoming familiar fashion, Ricky Ponting remarked "Watch you don't fall down that canyon you're digging"

"It's the only way you'll get rid of me," Trott replied.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Sad it had to end like this

In his debut Test:

As the Australians watched him re-mark his guard in what was rapidly becoming familiar fashion, Ricky Ponting remarked "Watch you don't fall down that canyon you're digging"

"It's the only way you'll get rid of me," Trott replied.
Hadn't heard that before. Very good.

Shame he ended like this. **** I got sick of him blasting balls through mid wicket for boundaries in that Ashes series that never really happened. Can't remember someone being 'broken' by one player so glaringly before. Obviously a lot of other issues at play but rare.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously don't know what is going through his mind but retiring seems a bit unnecessary to me as he is still a relatively young man who could conceivably play for another 5-6 years
If he continued playing international cricket, every time he gets out the only question on people's minds would be "is he mentally there to play international cricket?" That question would follow him for the rest of his career, at every failure. We saw it on here in the First Test, whereby his first innings dismissal wasn't responded to as "oh ****, he nicked a seriously good ball" it was "well, maybe he wasn't ready to come back".

If he'd made three tons, he'd put it to bed for a while -- but as soon as he had a string of low scores, the "is he ok to play international cricket?" question would come up again. And again. And again. He could well be 100% fine and recovered from what happened during that Ashes series, but as soon as his scoresheet reads "0, 10, 3" even if the dismissals were from getting an unplayable ball, a rubbish LBW and his partner running him out, all the media focus would be on his mental state.

And there's no better industry on earth at picking a public figure apart, even if they're completely fine, than the British press.

Hopefully he keeps playing for Warwickshire for some time to come, I imagine he has a lot of experience and knowledge to pass on to the next generation of cricketers.

OverratedSanity

Sad way to go. Wanted bdly for him to do well, but his game clearly wasn't there anymore.

Becme a big fan of his after the epic Lord's partnership with Broad (what happened next be damned)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just saw a stat on SSN that only Hammond scored more runs at number 3 in tests for England. When you put it like that he's had a pretty awesome career.
It's also an indictment on how crap England's number 3s have been; Mark Butcher is in the top 5 ffs.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Really sad to see him go away like this. Though I guess that's why people prefer to retire in their prime.

morgieb

Sad that his career will probably be defined by his end. For a 12 month period he was brutal. I wish him all the best for Wawrickshire and the rest of his life.

jan

State Vice-Captain
First English player I ever liked. Hope he does well in county cricket. May get into coaching one day like his dad.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Damn, was my favourite England player and really thought he could make a proper comeback. He's a middle order bat and for his own good it would've been best if thats where he got his recall. I guess if he feels he's had enough then I wish him all the best.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he continued playing international cricket, every time he gets out the only question on people's minds would be "is he mentally there to play international cricket?" That question would follow him for the rest of his career, at every failure. We saw it on here in the First Test, whereby his first innings dismissal wasn't responded to as "oh ****, he nicked a seriously good ball" it was "well, maybe he wasn't ready to come back".

If he'd made three tons, he'd put it to bed for a while -- but as soon as he had a string of low scores, the "is he ok to play international cricket?" question would come up again. And again. And again. He could well be 100% fine and recovered from what happened during that Ashes series, but as soon as his scoresheet reads "0, 10, 3" even if the dismissals were from getting an unplayable ball, a rubbish LBW and his partner running him out, all the media focus would be on his mental state.

And there's no better industry on earth at picking a public figure apart, even if they're completely fine, than the British press.

Hopefully he keeps playing for Warwickshire for some time to come, I imagine he has a lot of experience and knowledge to pass on to the next generation of cricketers.
I assume that you are referring to the same English press that would've been boosting him into the stratosphere when he was scoring runs - sweets and sours

Niall

International Coach
Kumar SangakkaraVerified account
‏@KumarSanga2
Sad to see Trotty retire. Unfamiliar batting position, overly intense team environment - not the best conditions for a comeback.

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Great player, but if he feels done then hes done the right thing. Brilliant player, but we've got some brilliant young batsmen coming through, and I'm excited to see them get their chance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kumar SangakkaraVerified account
‏@KumarSanga2
Sad to see Trotty retire. Unfamiliar batting position, overly intense team environment - not the best conditions for a comeback.
Haha Kumar wag

Spikey

Nah **** him for using the batting position card. I expect that sort of rubbish from Sachin