• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Roberts - The First of the Line

watson

Banned
Very enjoyable read Fred.

I'm pretty sure that both Richie Benaud and Ian Botham consider Roberts to be the best of modern West Indian quicks.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Andy Roberts - The First of the Line

In this feature Martin tells the story of the first of the great fast bowlers who helped Clive Lloyd's side to become the best team in the world
Thank you, I enjoyed reading that.

One minor correction if you wanted to make it is the comment about the 1984 test at Lord's, where you refer to Broad and Gooch sharing a decent partnership. Gooch wouldn't have played as he was serving his post-SA suspension. Probably Graeme Fowler was batting with Broad.

As you say, he is probably under-rated nowadays, but for a while in the second half of the 1970's he was a truly magnificent bowler.
I also remember his batting winning an important test for WI at Trent bridge in 1980. They had lost a spate of wickets chasing a small total and looked as though they might even lose. But Roberts stayed long enough to see them home in the only test that wasn't drawn that summer.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thank you, I enjoyed reading that.

One minor correction if you wanted to make it is the comment about the 1984 test at Lord's, where you refer to Broad and Gooch sharing a decent partnership. Gooch wouldn't have played as he was serving his post-SA suspension. Probably Graeme Fowler was batting with Broad.

As you say, he is probably under-rated nowadays, but for a while in the second half of the 1970's he was a truly magnificent bowler.
I also remember his batting winning an important test for WI at Trent bridge in 1980. They had lost a spate of wickets chasing a small total and looked as though they might even lose. But Roberts stayed long enough to see them home in the only test that wasn't drawn that summer.
Thanks - how could I get Foxy mixed up with Gooch? Senior moment obv

Days of Grace

International Captain
Did he miss the first four tests because of injury on the 1983/84 Indian tour or was he just overlooked?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
As usual a good read.

Unfortunately sometimes Roberts is forgotten among the pantheon of W.I bowling greats.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Good read except that mention to Ian Botham heroics which some how happens almost every other cricket article.