Cricket Betting Site Betway
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By fredfertang
  • 1 Post By wpdavid

Thread: Andy Roberts - The First of the Line

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar

Andy Roberts - The First of the Line

In this feature Martin tells the story of the first of the great fast bowlers who helped Clive Lloyd's side to become the best team in the world

Banned
    Very enjoyable read Fred.

I'm pretty sure that both Richie Benaud and Ian Botham consider Roberts to be the best of modern West Indian quicks.

Last edited by watson; 02-05-2015 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post

In this feature Martin tells the story of the first of the great fast bowlers who helped Clive Lloyd's side to become the best team in the world
    Thank you, I enjoyed reading that.

One minor correction if you wanted to make it is the comment about the 1984 test at Lord's, where you refer to Broad and Gooch sharing a decent partnership. Gooch wouldn't have played as he was serving his post-SA suspension. Probably Graeme Fowler was batting with Broad.

As you say, he is probably under-rated nowadays, but for a while in the second half of the 1970's he was a truly magnificent bowler.
    I also remember his batting winning an important test for WI at Trent bridge in 1980. They had lost a spate of wickets chasing a small total and looked as though they might even lose. But Roberts stayed long enough to see them home in the only test that wasn't drawn that summer.
    harsh.ag likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Thank you, I enjoyed reading that.

One minor correction if you wanted to make it is the comment about the 1984 test at Lord's, where you refer to Broad and Gooch sharing a decent partnership. Gooch wouldn't have played as he was serving his post-SA suspension. Probably Graeme Fowler was batting with Broad.

As you say, he is probably under-rated nowadays, but for a while in the second half of the 1970's he was a truly magnificent bowler.
    I also remember his batting winning an important test for WI at Trent bridge in 1980. They had lost a spate of wickets chasing a small total and looked as though they might even lose. But Roberts stayed long enough to see them home in the only test that wasn't drawn that summer.
    Thanks - how could I get Foxy mixed up with Gooch? Senior moment obv

International Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Did he miss the first four tests because of injury on the 1983/84 Indian tour or was he just overlooked?
    Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), H Larwood, SK Warne, T Richardson, SE Bond

International 12th Man
    Excellent
    Thanks

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    As usual a good read.

Unfortunately sometimes Roberts is forgotten among the pantheon of W.I bowling greats.
    Aus.
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Smith^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I.
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A.
    Richards | Smith*^ | Kallis5^ | Pollock | deViliers^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng.
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Good read except that mention to Ian Botham heroics which some how happens almost every other cricket article.
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

Thread Information