• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Elite Panel, 4 Out, 2 In

umpire

Cricket Spectator
Two new Umpires graduate to Emirates Eilte Panel, three Umpires not offered new contracts
ICC Media Release - February 6, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aleem Dar, 35, from Pakistan and Neil Mallender, 42, from England, will join the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires in April following the annual performance reviews of all umpires the ICC announced today.

At the same time, three umpires, Asoka de Silva, David Orchard and Russell Tiffin have not been offered new ICC contracts and are expected to move back to the Emirates International Panel of Umpires and umpire primarily at the domestic level.

Both Dar and Mallender were delighted at their promotions.

"I'm very pleased to be given this opportunity. Making this panel was my aim and having made it to this level I will now be aiming to do my best," said Mr Dar.

"I was quite shocked when I was told. To umpire at this level was my aim but it has come around sooner than I expected it would," said Mr Mallender.

ICC Chief Executive, Malcolm Speed, said that the changes to the Emirates Elite Panel reflected the strong depth in the umpiring ranks around the world.

"Over the past two years we have seen a strong group of new umpires emerge with Billy Bowden and Simon Taufel coming through last year and now Aleem Dar and Neil Mallender have also demonstrated that they are ready to take the next step in their careers," said Mr Speed.

"For the ICC this increase in umpiring depth is a welcome development as it means that we are able to make selections for the Emirates Elite Panel from an increasingly large pool of capable umpires.

"Unfortunately at the individual level it does mean that some umpires will miss out and this is the case this year for Umpires de Silva, Orchard and Tiffin who have not been offered new contracts following the performance reviews. I would expect that these umpires will return to the secondary Emirates International Panel of Umpires in their countries and push for a return to the Elite Panel over the coming months."

Both Dar and Mallender have played first class cricket with Mallender also representing England in two Tests in 1992. Both men will graduate from the Emirates International Panel of Umpires where they have gained both Test and ODI experience.

The ICC assesses umpires performances over the year through:

A detailed video analysis system that identifies and assesses every decision made by an umpire during the course of a match with the performance feedback provided on a regular basis to all umpires;
Written assessments provided by the Captains of each team at the conclusion of a match; and
Written assessments provided by match referees at the conclusion of a match.

Decisions on awarding contracts to the Emirates Elite Panel are made by Mr Speed and the Chairman of the ICC's Cricket Committee – Playing, Sunil Gavaskar, on the basis of recommendations from the ICC Management.

Along with the retirement of Umpire Venkat, these changes mean that the Emirates Elite Panel will reduce in size from 11 to nine umpires.

Mr Speed said that this will provide the opportunity for better performing umpires on the Emirates International Panel of Umpires to stand in some international matches over the course of the year.

"An Elite Panel of nine umpires for the coming twelve months will allow the ICC to manage the upcoming workload for the Elite Panel while also providing opportunities for the umpires at the next level down to gain experience at the international level and for the ICC to assess them with a view to future appointments," he said.

The Full Emirates Elite Panel for the coming year is:

Brent "Billy" Bowden
Steve Bucknor
Aleem Dar
Darrell Hair
Daryl Harper
Rudi Koertzen
Neil Mallender
David Sheperd
Simon Taufel

The final Test matches under the current contract for the Umpires

Russell Tiffin: First Test New Zealand V South Africa, Hamilton 10 March 2004;
David Orchard: Third Test Sri Lanka V Australia, Colombo, 24 March 2004;
Asoka de Silva; Third Test New Zealand V South Africa, Wellington, 26 March 2004

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
umpire said:
The final Test matches under the current contract for the Umpires

Russell Tiffin: First Test New Zealand V South Africa, Hamilton 10 March 2004;
Asoka de Silva; Third Test New Zealand V South Africa, Wellington, 26 March 2004
Imagine having to umpire a Test knowing you're going to be sacked immediately after.

anzac

International Debutant
I thought Orchard had a good game in the 1st Test NZ v PAK..........

can't say that I'll miss 'trigger finger' da Silva................whom I thought had yet another shocker series..........

:)

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
umpire said:
At the same time, three umpires, Asoka de Silva, David Orchard and Russell Tiffin have not been offered new ICC contracts and are expected to move back to the Emirates International Panel of Umpires and umpire primarily at the domestic level.

good stuff, those guys are all a little dodgy (to say the least) and Ashocka shouldn't even be umpiring at that level

ah damn it :!( :!( :!( :!(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harold is much missed by everyone.
David Orchard is a perfectly good Umpire. Shame he's not been retained.
But Neil Mallender - :rolleyes: Where on Earth have they got that one from? There are hundreds of better Umpires. Just look at his decision on Salim Elahi in his debut ODI. Too high, hit way outside off, almost certainly would have missed off, everything wrong.
Admit I've only seen him 4 or 5 times besides and he hasn't been as bad as that, but still, I've seen countless better Umpires.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Presuming you mean not on the Panel...
To name some Englishmen:
George Sharp, John Hampshire, Peter Willey (obviously, but everyone knows that anyway - he'd be on the Panel if he wanted to be).
To name some others:
Doug Cowie, Riazzuddin, David Orchard and Wilf Diedricks (who I think is a fantastic Umpire whose name never seems to be mentioned).