• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So this rebel cricket breakaway league...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It would appear that he intends to replace the current marquee event of cricket - the ODI World Cup with a 4 yearly T20 competition at the Olympics.

I can see the associate nations getting behind the proposal, considering that they've foolishly been locked out of the World Cup by the ICC. I don't see the Test nations falling in line. ODIs still make them more money than International T20. If Modi does get this rolling, it could mean a split in the world order with the minnows in the Olympic fold and the Test nations sitting it out. It would take a lot for the governments of the test nations to agree to replace the existing governing bodies with new ones in the Olympic charter.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So the home Aussie and England Summer tests then.:ph34r:
Haha I think you'd still have some subcontinent Tests as well. People underestimate how much broadcasters like having five consecutive days of well-rating mid-afternoon filler at a time where they'd usually be almost no advertising revenue at all. T20s don't go long enough to really occupy non-peak hour timeslots, and while I think a lot of Tests would probably be replaced by strings of D/N ODIs in a purely for-profit model, scheduling Tests does still actually make some financial sense.

cnerd123

likes this
Tests have so much more potential for money-making outside of just TV revenue too. For example; were the cricket boards to stream the Test over the Internet, with live scorecards and ball-by-ball commentary ala Cricinfo, they could make quite a bit through web advertising alone. Cricket Australia already monetises online highlights packages, no reason the other cricket boards couldn't. Throw in pre and post game analysis, interviews, and just keep all these on your site and there is quite a bit of money to be made from an event that lasts 5 days and has tons of passive followers. An ODI or T20 won't draw in nearly as much web traffic; simply because there isn't that much content to be sold.

Star Sports already does pretty well from their web services its seems; they basically stream everything now + carry lots of highlight packages, interviews, features and analysis. Test cricket fits perfectly into that.