• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Venkat announces retirement date

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man, three years for a reply? Major disservice to the man, was a quality umpire and from what I've been told an excellent player to watch.

Anyways, he's been working as a match referee in IPL now, good to see he's still involved in cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
Man, three years for a reply? Major disservice to the man, was a quality umpire and from what I've been told an excellent player to watch.

Anyways, he's been working as a match referee in IPL now, good to see he's still involved in cricket.
It's 2008 - 4 years :ph34r:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Venkat made the most shocking umpiring decision I've ever seen. I rate him as having been an average umpire, at best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which one was that?

I assure you, I've seen a worse one - Peter Manuel giving Alec Stewart out lbw to a ball of 50-ish mph that pitched short and over a foot outside leg.

No, nothing you can ever show me will ever be worse than that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Australia v West Indies - Bichel (I think) bowling to Lara. The ball, delivered from right-arm over the wicket, was heading outside offstump and Lara played a (IIRC) straight drive/straight push. Big inside edge onto pad. Clear deflection off the edge back into the pad. Lara given out lbw. Shocking stuff.

Mister Wright

Australia v West Indies - Bichel (I think) bowling to Lara. The ball, delivered from right-arm over the wicket, was heading outside offstump and Lara played a (IIRC) straight drive/straight push. Big inside edge onto pad. Clear deflection off the edge back into the pad. Lara given out lbw. Shocking stuff.
It's not the only time it's happened in test cricket, although Lara seemed to not get the run of the green. Can remember a caught behind off Lee in a ODI at the 'Gabba a few years ago that wasn't out. On that occasion it was Taufel.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It's not the only time it's happened in test cricket, although Lara seemed to not get the run of the green. Can remember a caught behind off Lee in a ODI at the 'Gabba a few years ago that wasn't out. On that occasion it was Taufel.
Was the most blatant instance of an inside edge onto pad that I've seen given out. Given the shot and the visible deflection.

Mister Wright

Was the most blatant instance of an inside edge onto pad that I've seen given out. Given the shot and the visible deflection.
Nah, most obvious defection was in the last Champions Trophy. Last ball of the match, Bracken bowling to Dhoni. Dhoni tries to pull a full toss and bottom edges onto his foot. Bowden gives it out.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nah, most obvious defection was in the last Champions Trophy. Last ball of the match, Bracken bowling to Dhoni. Dhoni tries to pull a full toss and bottom edges onto his foot. Bowden gives it out.
Don't recall seeing that one. That sounds shocking though.

R_D

International Debutant
There was another one.. can't remember whether it was test or ODI.
Billy Bowden again... There was a clear gap between bat and pad and huge defelction from bat and hit Sehwag's pad. He was given lbw.

Last couple of years.. Billy has gone downhill a little.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. I thought you were referring to the semis of the 96 WC, where, IIRC, he gave one or two rather questionable decisions off Warney.. Seemed to have a liking for the spinners, Venkat.. :)

But yeah, Lara is easily the one player I have seen who seems to cop a LOT of bad decisions. In fact, because of that, I have now become an advocate of NOT walking. He always walked when he was out and it didn't look like he got anything in return. Got given out caught behind at least 20-30 times from memory when he wasn't out. And this is just post 97... I guess it is much better to follow the Jonty Rhodes principle. If given out, juz shut up and walk away. Otherwise, continue batting. Much better than Steve Waugh, who always stayed put and when he got a bad decision he complained as though it was the end of the world. Same with Sourav Ganguly too, actually..