• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in Sri Lanka

Legglancer

State Regular
So the mighty Aussies are traveling yo Sri Lanka for some tough Cricket. Sri Lanka has not been the "happy hunting grounds" for the aussies in the best of times. The last time they toured Sri Lanka was in 1999 when Jayasuriya was just elected Captain they lost both the test and one day sereis to the surprise of many. Sri Lanka Still lack in the bowling department but their batting seemed to be finally clicking and are quite caperble of frustrating ponting and his men.Subsequently in 2002 Sri Lanka demolished the Aussie team at the ICC tournament.

The aussies on the other hand will be a touch jaded after the Indian Affair which has managed to take away some of their shine or "midas Touch" . But realistacally one has to give the aussies the upper hand for how they have dominated cricket in the past .... however one should never writeoff the Lankens as they can beat the best when they fire !

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Re: Australian Tour of Sri Lanka !

Legglancer said:
The aussies on the other hand will be a touch jaded after the Indian Affair which has managed to take away some of their shine or "midas Touch" .
lets wait and see the results of the ODI series first shall we

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I think Sri Lanka is a one man team......but a good man at that.....Murali is a very good bowler nad has taken heaps of wickets but Sri Lanka's pace attack lacks experience (apart from Vaas) and their batting runs hot and cold.....Australia would also be looking to avenge the 1999 series loss....it should be a good series.

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am very much looking foward to this tour. Sri Lanka have the strange knack of beating Australia at home despite performing much worse against less threatening opposition i.e. England. However I am very interested to see whether our boyz can comprehensively beat the Aussies. I recall the last test tour of SL resulted in us winning 1-0. I was not completely satisfied with that so I am hoping for more competitive performances by our guys than just some stale draws. It would be wrong for Australia to walk into SL thinking it will be a walk over. Despite being the superior side on paper, the conditions in SL very rarely help the opposition and Australia has been under pressure after a disappointing performance against the mighty Indians. I have a feeling Australia's feared bowling attack may come unstuck in SL, so Marvan and the guys should be ready to cash in. Come on Sri Lanka!:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sri Lanka at home are almost unbeatable in Tests - I fully expect them to win those.
ODIs of course can go either way but, like the India games, I'll be disappointed if Sri Lanka don't do well.
Likely I'll be disappointed, but there we go.
I hope, of course, for runs from Sanath, Romesh, Marvan, Sangakkara, Dilshan, Jayawardene (in Tests) and good figures for Chaminda and Murali (and Zoysa and Kaushal if they play).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
good figures for Chaminda

he'll be pushing it, he wont get any advantage out of being a left armer with the Aussies having faced left armers all summer...

Eclipse

International Debutant
I cant really remember Vass ever doing that well against us.

Nothing special anyway.

Craig

World Traveller
I think he is a little bit better then average. He has a good record (in terms of wickets) and the best left armer in the world.

After all he is twice the bowler what Pedro Collins, Ashish Nehra, Ryan Sidebottam and perhaps Zaheer Khan will ever be.

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:
I cant really remember Vass ever doing that well against us.

Nothing special anyway.
I dont think Vaas has.

He's stil the best left armer in the world IMO.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I'm hoping Australia will want to remind the world just how good they are as a test side after a fairly ordinary summer, and fairly ordinary tactics against the Indians!

The side will be refreshed no doubt by a new captain, and maybe even Mr.Warne will show his face - no McGrath though.

Our spin situation worries me a bit.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
I dont think Vaas has.

He's stil the best left armer in the world IMO.
left arm quick, there is probably a few left arm spinners that would compare against him

PS the only reason he has so many wickewts is cause Murali is the only other player in Sri lanka that does take regular wickets.

Craig

World Traveller
And Warne only has so much wickets because he has McGrath at the other end.

Sill comment? So is yours.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
PS the only reason he has so many wickewts is cause Murali is the only other player in Sri lanka that does take regular wickets.
Ridiculous. Vaas is a quality bowler, albeit rather inconsistent. Still, when he takes wickets it's usually because he's earned them by superb bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Precisely.
And with all the a_m comments, ill-informed, that I don't watch cricket, a comment about Chaminda like that really would suggest he's never seen him bowl.
Very true that he's never done especially well against Australia. Time for him to correct that, hopefully.

Craig

World Traveller
Just wondering: Will this be turned into the "Official" thread when Australia step on the plane to Sri Lanka?

masterblaster

International Captain
I cannot wait, I cannot wait, I cannot wait until Muttiah Muralitharan bamboozles the Aussie batsmen left, right and centre.

I for one, hope Murali takes 8 wickets every innings, and takes an absolute bucketload of wickets against Australia.

In my eyes, Australian batsman have been always very, very weak against top quality spin on TURNING sub-contentinental wickets.

Sri Lanka should be unbeatable in their backyard, with Jaysuriya's explosive batting, Atapattu's solid defense and Muttiah Muralitharan's lethal, lethal spinners.

I hope Australia gets their medicine, because guys like Brad Williams, Nathan Bracken and Brett Lee will be utterly, utterly useless in Sri Lanka.

FRAZ

International Captain
masterblaster said:
I cannot wait, I cannot wait, I cannot wait until Muttiah Muralitharan bamboozles the Aussie batsmen left, right and centre.

I for one, hope Murali takes 8 wickets every innings, and takes an absolute bucketload of wickets against Australia.

In my eyes, Australian batsman have been always very, very weak against top quality spin on TURNING sub-contentinental wickets.

Sri Lanka should be unbeatable in their backyard, with Jaysuriya's explosive batting, Atapattu's solid defense and Muttiah Muralitharan's lethal, lethal spinners.

I hope Australia gets their medicine, because guys like Brad Williams, Nathan Bracken and Brett Lee will be utterly, utterly useless in Sri Lanka.
I cant wait for Aussies getting their test frustration out over Srilanka