• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in Sri Lanka

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
halsey said:
Hopefully Vaas will be exposed as the only just above average bowler he is.
Your at it again! You really are a joker! What do you actually know about Vaas, how many times have you watched hime? From what I can see you've probably seen him about once or twice. If you are an English supporter I think many other English guys will admit that Vaas is a high class bowler better than most of the current England fast bowlers. How can an average bowler be the second highest wicket taker in the most reputable cricket tournament, the World Cup? Not to mention numerous other performances including 14 wickets in a Test macth on dry Sri Lankan pitch against the Windies. He was the one who took Lara's wicket when he was in blazing form! Assuming you watch cricket, watch this series and find out for yourself how good Chaminda Vaas is. He will prove your ignorant self WRONG!:lol:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
bugssy said:
i think it will be a good tour however i feel the ozzies have had there wake up call with the indian tour, but the decks have been alot more batter friendly due to lack of rain but i think the ozzies should and will have a very successful tour in both odi and tests.

too much pressure on vass and muralithuran but the ozzie batting line up will dominate, and with b lee getting back to his best he will be the series leading wicket taker by far..

go the aussies
Well Lee did bowl well in the VB series -- no arguments there.

However the tests are a different kettle of fish .... batsmen won't have to take as many risks in the longer version and the red ball swings less than the white.
Furthermore the Sri Lankan conditions won't offer him anywhere near the pace and bounce of Australian pitches -- swing will be very important -- the heavy atmosphere of the Emerald Island is certainly conducive to swing bowling.

It will be a litmus test for Lee.

PY

International Coach
LankanPrince said:
Your at it again! You really are a joker! What do you actually know about Vaas, how many times have you watched hime? From what I can see you've probably seen him about once or twice. If you are an English supporter I think many other English guys will admit that Vaas is a high class bowler better than most of the current England fast bowlers. How can an average bowler be the second highest wicket taker in the most reputable cricket tournament, the World Cup? Not to mention numerous other performances including 14 wickets in a Test macth on dry Sri Lankan pitch against the Windies. He was the one who took Lara's wicket when he was in blazing form! Assuming you watch cricket, watch this series and find out for yourself how good Chaminda Vaas is. He will prove your ignorant self WRONG!:lol:
He has a problem with consistency IMO, brilliant on his day in ODI and to a certain extent in Tests but an average of 30+ does not speak great bowler.

If Halsey has been watching the games Vaas's (;)) played in England, he averages 108.50 which could be a reason why he said that.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PY said:
He has a problem with consistency IMO, brilliant on his day in ODI and to a certain extent in Tests but an average of 30+ does not speak great bowler.

If Halsey has been watching the games Vaas's (;)) played in England, he averages 108.50 which could be a reason why he said that.
Knew you'd make excuses for the inadequacies of Essex's education system.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LankanPrince said:
including 14 wickets in a Test macth on dry Sri Lankan pitch against the Windies. He was the one who took Lara's wicket when he was in blazing form!
A couple of things...

1/ His 14 wickets came against the West Indies... the West Indies! Also 6 of them were tailenders (Dillon, Collins, Ramnarine, Black).

2/ Lara scored the small matter of 221 runs before that wicket...

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i'm a bit concerned about Brad Williams and what might transpire if he confronts Sangakkara... could we see a repeat of Sarwan-McGrath??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I can think of a guy who's done it pretty well.
Be interesting to read the man-v-man analysis of those two.
Anyway, even if he did manage to go at a reasonable pace and score in areas that I would consider very risky, can't think of too many others who have, and I did say very very rarely, not never.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DT8 said:
i'm a bit concerned about Brad Williams and what might transpire if he confronts Sangakkara... could we see a repeat of Sarwan-McGrath??
My bet would be on Sangakkara hammering him all over Galle.
And if I got the chance to see it, I'd relish every second.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:

Contraction is perfectly grammatically correct - as long as it's used in the right way. Here I can see nothing wrong with it.
I think your top paragraph would be best rephrased to "brilliant most of the time in ODIs, brilliant on his day in Tests, horrible off his day in Tests". There have been at least 2 series in which he has averaged over 100 and countless ones which he has ended with a very good average.
halsey really shouldn't judge on one series, though, when there are so many others available.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
Well Lee did bowl well in the VB series -- no arguments there.

However the tests are a different kettle of fish .... batsmen won't have to take as many risks in the longer version and the red ball swings less than the white.
Furthermore the Sri Lankan conditions won't offer him anywhere near the pace and bounce of Australian pitches -- swing will be very important -- the heavy atmosphere of the Emerald Island is certainly conducive to swing bowling.

It will be a litmus test for Lee.
Sustained accuracy will be neccesarry also.
Swing is important anywhere, and Lee doesn't have an especially big problem getting it.
He does, however, have a massive problem in the radar department.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
My bet would be on Sangakkara hammering him all over Galle.
And if I got the chance to see it, I'd relish every second.
Williams has to be in the test squad first. Then if he is lucky enough to be selected he has to then somehow find a place in the XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LankanPrince said:
Assuming you watch cricket, watch this series and find out for yourself how good Chaminda Vaas is. He will prove your ignorant self WRONG!:lol:
I most certainly hope so, but "will" is always a very dangerous prophecy in cricket.
Nothing is certain, and we've seen so many times with Chaminda that it's either all or nothing.

Legglancer

State Regular
Richard said:
I most certainly hope so, but "will" is always a very dangerous prophecy in cricket.
Nothing is certain, and we've seen so many times with Chaminda that it's either all or nothing.
Well Said sir !!!! very true indeed for the lay folk like myself .... but What if you were a "Lanken Prince" ??? :D

twctopcat

International Regular
Unless mcgrath and warne are back and on form the aussies don't stand a chance, because murali and vaas are too good in their own back yard. Too many of the aussies are flat track 4.5 runs an over bullies that will not be able to adjust to, let alone understand murali's bowling, should be entertaining:D .

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I hope the bowlers get a good one this time....the most frustrating thing for me watching the India-Aus series was the amount of runs scored and bugger all wickets being taken, granted, both bowling attacks were very ordinary, but I hope that for once, we get to see some reasonable scores and lots of wickets......

I don't expect Australia to win in Sri Lanka, or India for that matter.

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
OK, thats my speculation done, im glad it stirred up such an interesting debate about Vaas's bowling. You guys have some very interesting and strong opinions. As you can evidently see I am very biased towards Sri Lanka, being the LankanPrince. It is always fun to see people who prove my biased and often clouded opinions wrong using real evidence and a balanced argument. I love it when people get irritated by my controversial, pro Sri Lankan views. It is much appreciated and I will endeavour to deliver my most irritating, completely biased opinions on this forum.:D

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
A couple of things...

1/ His 14 wickets came against the West Indies... the West Indies! Also 6 of them were tailenders (Dillon, Collins, Ramnarine, Black).

2/ Lara scored the small matter of 221 runs before that wicket...
Sorry, I understand you find the term 'Windies' rather annoying, ha?:duh:

Legglancer

State Regular
LankanPrince said:
OK, thats my speculation done, im glad it stirred up such an interesting debate about Vaas's bowling. You guys have some very interesting and strong opinions. As you can evidently see I am very biased towards Sri Lanka, being the LankanPrince. It is always fun to see people who prove my biased and often clouded opinions wrong using real evidence and a balanced argument. I love it when people get irritated by my controversial, pro Sri Lankan views. It is much appreciated and I will endeavour to deliver my most irritating, completely biased opinions on this forum.:D
Well "LankenPrince" I admire you for your honesty in admitting that you are somewhat biased towards Sri Lanka. By doing so you have earned more integrity than many members in this forum who claim to be unbiased !:rolleyes: