Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Tennis ball Cricket !

State Regular

Tennis ball Cricket !

I have been playing tennis ball cricket for some time now and sometimes I am quite suprised at how serious some of my team mates are about this form of cricket. I see batsman who are highly skillful and take great pride in their craft working constantly in trying to get better not to mention the bowlers. Are these cricketers going to be relegated to to the back burner for ever or does anyone think that soft ball cricketers deserves some kind of expousure ???

How about a world Cup for Tennis ball Cricket?

I am sure Tennis ball cricket will be extreamly popular especially in countries like bangladesh, India, pakistan, Sri Lanka ...ect as players do not have to spend large amounts of cash to buy equipment such as pad's, guards, hemets ect.

Any thoughts ?
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    well,if a bowler bowls a tennis ball at 130 kph,then all the batsmen has to do is block,because the ball will just bounce of it and go to the boundary

I used to play tennis ball cricket,but now I am older i use a cricket ball.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120

RIP Fardin 1990-2006

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    tennis balls dont swind as much and are harder to bowl fast

and harder to hit farther

but than again they dont hurt as much cricket balls
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

hehe

its good you brought this up coz when I was in Dubai, I used to play w/ the cricket ball in school but me and my friends used a tennis balls for street cricket. Actually they weren't tennis balls, they were tape balls. We just covered the tennis ball with loads of electrical tape (also taped a seam). The tape ball is obviously harder and also better to bowl fast.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

I think they are great. It teaches youngsters to get behind the ball when they bat and it teaches them the basic fundamentals of the game and get their confidence up so when they move up to the hard ball, it isnt as difficult.

It has helped some of the WI and worl'd greatest ever players like Sobers, Viv Richards and so on.

COrrect me if I am wrong, but did braincile Trevor Bailey start up a successful comp in Essex?
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Craig
    braincile
    Barnacle
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Captain
    The best way to play a tennis ball is to never move the feet and play away from the body and give a full bang on the ball from the tow of the bat .........
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

International Captain
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Barnacle
    Welll gujed Mr niell PiikkAp . Thhankxs O Laut Four dah korrakshions.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

I always play with a tennis ball in the backyard because if we hit a cricket ball into the window, you know the end of the sentence. Tennis ball cricket is fun, it's also quite easy to bowl bouncers
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar

Re: hehe

Originally posted by ReallyCrazy
    its good you brought this up coz when I was in Dubai, I used to play w/ the cricket ball in school but me and my friends used a tennis balls for street cricket. Actually they weren't tennis balls, they were tape balls. We just covered the tennis ball with loads of electrical tape (also taped a seam). The tape ball is obviously harder and also better to bowl fast.
    Same here.

How do you make your seam?

We use electrical tape and roll two pieces up and tape them relatively close in the middle, swing like a bitch.

Pinball Champion!
    I dont agree, I think Tennis balls bounce far too high.. You cant bowl people unless you york them really.. They are very hard to bowl spin with, so they discourage that.... And they mess peoples technique up...

The nearest thing ive seen to a real cricketball would be the Easton incrediball.. Not sure how available that is around the world though....
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Debutant
    covering the tennis ball with electrical tape on just one side makes it swing nicely...very entertaining to play somebody who bowls really fast.

Tape Ball cricket (Tape tennis actually) has actually revoloutionaized cricket in pak since early 80's. People play it every where, good thing about it that it does not cost alot as u need any Protective guards as a batsman.
    It comes to bat really fast, and encourages stroke making, since it fly's off the bat so the bowlers have to be very very fats and good in order to not to get hit around too much, speed is only way of survival as a bolwer in Tape Ball cricket.

In Pak they have number of tape Ball tournaments at every level, but the best time for these tournaments is the Summer time when young people are off from school and have good time early in morning typically around 4-4:30am to play in streets and in grounds. I myself am a champion batsman of Tape Ball cricket
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

nice to see other tape ball cricket players here

With tape ball, we can actually bowl fast and the bounce is also not too high. If you add a seam to it (we seam it up by putting around 3 layers of tape around it in the centre), it swings very well. Its really good if you are a fast bowler which is what i am. It is also not that bad if you are a spinner, it spins quite a bit. As someone already said, you will enjoy playing w/ the tape ball even if you are a batter. Its fun.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    I dont agree, I think Tennis balls bounce far too high.. You cant bowl people unless you york them really.. They are very hard to bowl spin with, so they discourage that.... And they mess peoples technique up...

The nearest thing ive seen to a real cricketball would be the Easton incrediball.. Not sure how available that is around the world though....
    I thoroughly agree with this.
    Tennis-balls are totally different to cricket-balls in terms of bounce. The phrase "tennis-ball bounce" does come from somewhere, you know.
    But believe me, bat without a box against a tennis-ball at your peril! I have never fallen into that trap.
    It is impossible to practice for cricket with a tennis-ball, just to have an unrealistic, "fun" game.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information