• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England are playing 10 ODIs this summer

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Five against the Kiwis and five against the Aussies. What purpose do these matches serve other than to generate gate money and fill up Sky TV schedule? These are equivalent to international football friendlies that England play from time to time whch football fans don't really care much for.

How do you turn these ODIs into competive fixtures that actually mean something? I reckon there should be a world ODI championship that runs for two years (not too long otherwise tournament risks losing focus), which should have two divisions of 10 countries in each, with three promoting and three relegating. Only the top two in division one will get prize money. Big prize money, and there will be a big difference between what the top two get. This will lead to a lot of competition to win but also teams below that scrapping out for the second spot. There will be a lot of competition in the bottom half of the table to avoid relegation to division two. Each ODI will be weighted as it is unlikely teams will play each other the same number of times. However, no single series should have more than three one dayers.

After the two year cycle there will be a one year of regular ODIs. The following year will be the regular World Cup, then back to the world championship that again runs for the next two years.

Initially, for the very first world championship you can have the top ten ranked ODI teams (or the test countries) in the first division. Countries like Scotland, Kenya, Holland, etc can be in the second.

Although this part is debatable, I would prefer ODIs were reduced to forty overs a side with a strict over rate of around 17 overs an hour. Shorter ODIS will mean the toss will play smaller role in the proceedings and a faster over rate will make for better viewing (less downtime between deliveries).

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
5 ODIs always seem like a bit of overkill and 3 ODI matches seems the right amount now given we also try and fit in T20s.

Given the recent gunness of the CWC this would've been a perfect tri-series IMO.

Well, apart from the England part.

Victor Ian

International Coach
you have two different teams there - make it a three way series and then it is at least a tournament where each match counts to get to a final. Much more fun than a boring best of five between two nations.

Victor Ian

International Coach
No appeal in a neutral finals series though :ph34r:
Lol. Of course....This is England. Now I understand why they have never held tri series like Australia does. Still, for cricket lovers who love to see competitive cricket, this might just be their chance.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Make that 11 ODIs in the summer. They are playing an one off match against the Irish as well. I suppose the Irish game will be competitive because Ireland will want to win to keep proving they are worthy of a place in the World Cup. As others are saying, this should have been a tri-series. A tri-series in between the two test series would have been ideal (particularly this year given how NZ performed at the World Cup. But I suppose you could say we are being wise after the event). An ODI series in September always has such an end-of-season ring about them.

A tri series would be more exciting (playing each other twice the before final) than a bilateral series. However, it still does not deal with the problem to a large extent because they will still largely be seen as rather meaningless. I think we need the world championship.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The reason we don't have tri-series any more is that the home audience tends to be extremely disinterested in the neutral games.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well you could argue thay if it's generating money, people are watching it. And if people are watching it, why cut it down?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well you could argue thay if it's generating money, people are watching it. And if people are watching it, why cut it down?
But they're not cutting it down. They're replacing the neutral games with more games involving the home team, which generates more revenue.

For instance a 3 round tri-series with a single final has 10 games, of which 6 or 7 feature the home team.

A couple of 5 match bilateral series is also 10 games, but features the home team in all of them.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree about people not getting excited about the neutral matches in a tri series (hence the problem of staginga tri series) unless they are very good teams. Australia and NZ this summer would have made for a really good tri series but I guess they weren't to know how well NZ would be in the world cup.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Should be a quadrangular series with England, the two touring sides and a rotation between Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands for the 4th spot.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Should be a quadrangular series with England, the two touring sides and a rotation between Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands for the 4th spot.
Why not a 4 nations tournament every with all these teams every so often? There's an Africa Cup and an Asia cup...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol. Of course....This is England. Now I understand why they have never held tri series like Australia does. Still, for cricket lovers who love to see competitive cricket, this might just be their chance.
They did. In the 2000s and maybe late 90s? It was called the NatWest series. I only really remember when Aus toured but in 2001 it was Aus/Eng/Pak and in 2005 it was Aus/Eng/Bangladesh.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Sorry to post here off topic. Somehow I 'followed' this thread. How did I do that? How do I unfollow it?

YorksLanka

International Debutant
if anything,surely its the Ireland game that's pointless(given the fact that the ECB place so much importance on it, they allowed their captain to play for his IPL side instead)? I would much rather be watching England play the other two sides but I agree 5 odi's for both is overkill just to generate money..

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
if anything,surely its the Ireland game that's pointless(given the fact that the ECB place so much importance on it, they allowed their captain to play for his IPL side instead)? I would much rather be watching England play the other two sides but I agree 5 odi's for both is overkill just to generate money..
If anything, matches against Ireland are even more important.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If anything, matches against Ireland are even more important.
According to the ranking predictor, England will only lose one ranking point if they lose the game and gain 2 if they win.

Ireland will gain four points for a win and lose 4 for a loss (which seems a bit unfair).

New Zealand has to beat England 5-0 to move past India into 2nd in the rankings; 4-1 won't be enough.

Last edited: