• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just met the Indian cricket team!!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey guys, today has to be on the greatest days of my life. My dad's good friend knows Laxman, Balaji and Badani and so I was able to be allowed to go to the MCG on the ground and watch the Indian cricket team as well as meet them. :D I just arrived back from the MCG about an hour ago.

I was allowed to take most of the day off school and was picked up at 11 am to the MCG. When we arrived on the ground it was about 11:50 and pretty much the whole Indian cricket team were there. I took plenty of photos while standing there in awe watching my favourite cricket players that I had once only been able to see on my TV and in the seats at a cricket ground. I can't describe the feeling, it was awesome.

Along with Sachin, Rahul, Laxman, Pathan and the other Indian players was a surprise. Javagal Srinath was there bowling to the batsman in the nets. It was great to see him close up after the many years he had entertained me on TV.

Suddenly all the photographers and news reporters who were on the ground (funny enough they couldn't cross a line which I could :P) gathered together and so I turned around. I then saw that Ganguly was in the middle of them all, and was about to be interviewed. The cameras and microphones were all around him. I listened to what they asked him about. Questions came up regarding tomorrow's first final, and whether any history between India and Australia playing important matches would be in the Indian players' minds. Ganguly replied saying something about how well India have played on this tour compared to previous ones, and how tomorrow is a new game and the past is the past. One reporter asked him if Kumble was going to play, or how he was recovering. Ganguly said that Kumble was bowling in the nets for the first time in a while but I was unable to hear the rest of his sentence. The World XI vs. The Best game was brought up, and Ganguly said positive things about that match saying it would gather interest and many would enjoy the game, however he was also asked if too much cricket was being played. He said that was the only problem with matches like this, whether they can fit it in considering how much cricket international players play these days. Australians and maybe Indians will probably be able to hear/see this interview later tonight, Aussies watch Sports Tonight, I'm guessing it'll be on that.

After that I approached Laxman who was complementing Pathan's batting laughing, as in the nets Pathan had been smashing the bowlers. Laxman seems to be a very very nice guy. He was so polite and I managed to shake his hand and he signed my bat (I brought it to be signed :)) as well as other signings for my dad's friends. I then got a photo with him which was so awesome. Little did I know it would get better.

After Sachin had finished his batting in the nets for the day he was walking back and we approached him asking for his signature. It was surreal to just be in his presence. Shaking Laxman's hand was amazing enough, but being in the presence of Sachin was indescribable. He also signed my bat and managed to get a photo with him which was great. :) I also managed to get Rahul Dravid to sign my bat and get a photo with him as well, just being able to meet these 3 fantastic cricketers made my day. I was also able to get Kumble, Balaji, Pathan and Srinath’s signature. It was extremely hot but I didn’t even notice until I got home how tired I was because for the 2 hours I was at the ground, I was so excited.

I’ve got plenty of photos which I will upload and post once I get them on to my computer. Right now I'm still in shock that I have met these cricketers which I have idolised for many years. Overall it was just a wonderful day, and to top it off I will be going to the first final at the MCG tomorrow. I’m sure that will be a great match and I can’t wait.

Choora

State Regular
Man some guys have all the luck, i would like to see some of the photos, particularly the ones with Sachin and Balaji.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Oh jeez, I've been arguing with a schoolkid???? :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Anyway Jono, congrats on what must have been a great day for you. I guess you'll always remember meeting your heroes.

ethos

Cricket Spectator
Awesome.

One of my mates got to bowl to Laxman in the nets at the 'Gabba. He's only 15 years old so I dunno how he got to do it but he is one hell of a cricketer, he averaged something like 140 last season playing for the firsts at our school. He said VVS was a freak (in the nicest way possible of course).

:)

masterblaster

International Captain
Great news Jono, well done mate!

It sound uncanilly like my experience with the Indian team of 1999/00 when they came here.

I met the entire team back then including Sourav, Sachin, Laxman, Dravid, Ramesh, Harbhajan, Ajit.

Its good to hear that you had a good time.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Jono said:
Hey guys, today has to be on the greatest days of my life. My dad's good friend knows Laxman, Balaji and Badani and so I was able to be allowed to go to the MCG on the ground and watch the Indian cricket team as well as meet them. :D I just arrived back from the MCG about an hour ago.

I was allowed to take most of the day off school and was picked up at 11 am to the MCG. When we arrived on the ground it was about 11:50 and pretty much the whole Indian cricket team were there. I took plenty of photos while standing there in awe watching my favourite cricket players that I had once only been able to see on my TV and in the seats at a cricket ground. I can't describe the feeling, it was awesome.

Along with Sachin, Rahul, Laxman, Pathan and the other Indian players was a surprise. Javagal Srinath was there bowling to the batsman in the nets. It was great to see him close up after the many years he had entertained me on TV.

Suddenly all the photographers and news reporters who were on the ground (funny enough they couldn't cross a line which I could :P) gathered together and so I turned around. I then saw that Ganguly was in the middle of them all, and was about to be interviewed. The cameras and microphones were all around him. I listened to what they asked him about. Questions came up regarding tomorrow's first final, and whether any history between India and Australia playing important matches would be in the Indian players' minds. Ganguly replied saying something about how well India have played on this tour compared to previous ones, and how tomorrow is a new game and the past is the past. One reporter asked him if Kumble was going to play, or how he was recovering. Ganguly said that Kumble was bowling in the nets for the first time in a while but I was unable to hear the rest of his sentence. The World XI vs. The Best game was brought up, and Ganguly said positive things about that match saying it would gather interest and many would enjoy the game, however he was also asked if too much cricket was being played. He said that was the only problem with matches like this, whether they can fit it in considering how much cricket international players play these days. Australians and maybe Indians will probably be able to hear/see this interview later tonight, Aussies watch Sports Tonight, I'm guessing it'll be on that.

After that I approached Laxman who was complementing Pathan's batting laughing, as in the nets Pathan had been smashing the bowlers. Laxman seems to be a very very nice guy. He was so polite and I managed to shake his hand and he signed my bat (I brought it to be signed :)) as well as other signings for my dad's friends. I then got a photo with him which was so awesome. Little did I know it would get better.

After Sachin had finished his batting in the nets for the day he was walking back and we approached him asking for his signature. It was surreal to just be in his presence. Shaking Laxman's hand was amazing enough, but being in the presence of Sachin was indescribable. He also signed my bat and managed to get a photo with him which was great. :) I also managed to get Rahul Dravid to sign my bat and get a photo with him as well, just being able to meet these 3 fantastic cricketers made my day. I was also able to get Kumble, Balaji, Pathan and Srinath’s signature. It was extremely hot but I didn’t even notice until I got home how tired I was because for the 2 hours I was at the ground, I was so excited.

I’ve got plenty of photos which I will upload and post once I get them on to my computer. Right now I'm still in shock that I have met these cricketers which I have idolised for many years. Overall it was just a wonderful day, and to top it off I will be going to the first final at the MCG tomorrow. I’m sure that will be a great match and I can’t wait.
I'm very envious Jono.....which part of India are u from btw ?
I'm guessing somehwere in the South...?

The only cricketer I've ever met was Heath Streak -- and that was in Nagpur in 2000. A fine gentleman he was.

iamdavid

International Debutant
ethos said:
Awesome.

One of my mates got to bowl to Laxman in the nets at the 'Gabba. He's only 15 years old so I dunno how he got to do it
Ahem :saint:
Guess who bowled to Sehwag , Badani , Pathan , Dravid & Gavaskar the day before the PM's XI in Canberra :D

Salamuddin

International Debutant
iamdavid said:
Ahem :saint:
Guess who bowled to Sehwag , Badani , Pathan , Dravid & Gavaskar the day before the PM's XI in Canberra :D
Did they smash you into Lake Burley Griffin ?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol Kenny, I'm 17 turning 18 this year. Too young to argue with you hey? :P

jamesryfler, I'm actually not born in India. Both my mum and dad are, but I'm born here in Melbourne. My dad is from Hyderabad, his younger brother was best friends with Azzhurudin when they were young. My mum is from Bangalore.

Thanks for your replies guys, and I'll email the pics to that address once I gather all of them together Neil. :)

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Jono said:
Lol Kenny, I'm 17 turning 18 this year. Too young to argue with you hey? :P
Yes possibly - if I'd known I probably wouldn't have bothered retaliating.
However, I was genuine about your magic day. A great thrill for a cricket fan of any nationality to meet his heroes.
I am certainly envious!

hyounis786

Cricket Spectator
cool, sounds like u had a gr8 day, any cricketing fan surely would luv to have been in your shoes on that particular day 4 sure,however ive not yet met my heroes- ive met yousaf youhanna, azhar mahmood and abdul razzaq.....hope i get in luck soon.......lol

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
hyounis786 said:
cool, sounds like u had a gr8 day, any cricketing fan surely would luv to have been in your shoes on that particular day 4 sure,however ive not yet met my heroes- ive met yousaf youhanna, azhar mahmood and abdul razzaq.....hope i get in luck soon.......lol
I saw the whole of the pakistani team when they came to play essex, i patted younis khan on the back but when i tried to shake hands with shoaib akhtar he didnt .:!(

hyounis786

Cricket Spectator
i have also seen the full pakistan cricket team - 99 world cup warmup match v derbyshire<<where im from but not actually met em all.i met abdul razzaq at the match n took photo of him though.

hyounis786

Cricket Spectator
u from essex? aftab habib has been down derby quite a few times as he has cousins there which happen to liv on my street and i have met him-played cricket with him-bowled and batted

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
hyounis786 said:
u from essex? aftab habib has been down derby quite a few times as he has cousins there which happen to liv on my street and i have met him-played cricket with him-bowled and batted
yeah im from essex,aftab habibs one of my favourite players